Join Early Retirement Today
Canadian credit reports?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Canadian credit reports?

Our property manager found some new tenants for our rental - they are planning to move down from Calgary. For a credit check, she was able to get copies of their Canadian credit reports and FICO scores. Are these comparable to US versions? She wants a special ok from us that the Canadian reports are acceptable. Is there any reason to say no?

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The three main credit bureaus are Equifax, TransUnion and Northern. I have no personal experience of having credit problems but the consumer websites advise regularly checking your scores for accuracy; in fact the CanLaw site has a link "beware TransUnion". The links below may be helpful.

FCAC - Publications - Understanding Your Credit Report and Credit Score

Canada’s Office of Consumer Affairs - Credit report, credit score and credit rating

Your credit rating. How to check it and correct it. Your rights on CanLaw

Average personal debt per person in Canada: US$23,460.
Average personal debt per person in the U.S: US$40,250.
(as quoted in
But you can never be too careful.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Thanks Meadbh! Their scores were very high, so if anything I was concerned about forgery of some kind. The property manager was able to verify that they'll be employed in the area, so I think it's ok. But as you said, you never know.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote