Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Like Kahn, can't write legibly if my life depended on it.
I sometimes have dreams where my life depends on writing legibly and I can't manage it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, if you are an electrical engineer, this is bad news. If you aren't, the big thing is never to complete a circuit with yourself!

Amethyst
Firmware engineer still trying to learn about electricity, actually. It would help me in my job :-).

+1 on the dancing and golf. I've played for 30 years and have yet to break 100.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Apparently I cannot fly, at least not so far. I know that because I tried it many times as a little girl. (Having at least a little common sense, I jumped upwards rather than out of windows, thank goodness.)

can't:
Paint (walls, etc) without making a mess.
Type accurately
Learn to like mayonnaise
Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thank you!! I never heard that song before, and I think it is not only a terrific song, but also describes my point of view very nicely.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Refold a map, I'm definitely spatially challenged.

Add me to the list of those who suck at learning languages and I can't play chess to save my life.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #26

I've never understood physics or electricity.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot sing in tune, the music teacher was not impressed with my rendition of “Don’t Fence Me In,” and I sat out 8th grade chorus with the smartest kid in the class. Everyone else made the cut and we sat there like outcasts in our usual seats, she right behind me, passing messages by kicking my foot. “Lori” was destined to be valedictorian and prom queen and I figured if it was the only thing she couldn’t do, it didn’t matter. La La La, as Dirty Harry would say, one must know one’s limitations.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

1. Play any sport that involves a ball.
2. Not get lost in another city.
3. Proofread my own writing.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I have no sense of décor. If I lived here alone then we wouldn't even have bathroom doors.

I used to be proficient at parachuting out of airplanes & helicopters, and now I won't do that anymore. Not only in the sense of absorbing shock in my left knee, but mentally as well. Does that count as "cannot"?

I'm pretty sure that I can't run a marathon on these knees either, but I have no intention of finding out.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Sing or dance. I took ballroom dancing lessons for about 5 years and still never felt confident that I could hear the beat.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sing or dance. I took ballroom dancing lessons for about 5 years and still never felt confident that I could hear the beat.
What?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What?
Well, there is deaf and tone deaf
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, there is deaf and tone deaf
Or both. My parents were baffled and had my hearing checked.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

There are soo many things I could not do even when I was young, and certainly wouldn't try again now. Like,
1) Catch something thrown to me. I would just try to move to avoid getting hit in the face.
2) Maintain my balance on skates, skateboards, skis, or anything that moves underfoot. I amazed myself that I could ride a bicycle when I was around 5.
3) Singing in tune. No, I am not tone deaf. These are different thangs! One is INPUT, the other is OUTPUT! Got that?
4) Dance. Same as above, I get the rhythm of the music, and can mentally tap my feet to it, but cannot move my body to match. Good thing DW also does not care about dancing.
5) Play the guitar. I have posted about this before. My siblings all took piano lessons, and did reasonably well. I wanted to do something different. Failed miserably.
6) To this day, I play no sports, hence have no interest in any sport of any kind. For physical activities, I go up to my boonies home to move some rocks, or trim some trees.
7) I cannot whistle, but I can chew gum, used to smoke a cigarette, while doing whatever.
There are more, but those should be enough. I will wait for someone to start a "Can do" thread, then I will post more.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #35

Whistle. Drives me crazy. Even my son, who seems to have inherited almost all traits from me, can whistle all day long. I try, but only air comes out. Ridiculous.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1) Meditating. Just can't slow my overactive brain down while I am awake unless I am dead tired. But then I'll fall asleep.

2) Working out. If I can get my exercise while doing something useful (mowing the lawn, cutting a tree, gardening, etc...), fine. But lifting weights, running on a treadmill or pedaling in place on a stationary bike, no. Too boring for me.

3) Waking up in the morning to the sound of an alarm clock or a telephone... That will ruin my day. I'll wake up when my body is rested. It usually requires 7-7.5 hours of sleep.

4) Keeping a proper journal. As a scientist, the ability to keep a journal is very important, but it is an ability that I do not possess. Thank goodness I have an excellent memory.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There are soo many things I could not do even when I was young, and certainly wouldn't try again now. Like,
1) Catch something thrown to me. I would just try to move to avoid getting hit in the face.
2) Maintain my balance on skates, skateboards, skis, or anything that moves underfoot. I amazed myself that I could ride a bicycle when I was around 5.
Ditto! I cannot skate because I am afraid of losing control. I have never had good proprioception.

On the other hand I have a good spatial sense and if you are on a road trip, you want me as your navigator. And I have no problem riding a bike.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
2) Working out. If I can get my exercise while doing something useful (mowing the lawn, cutting a tree, gardening, etc...), fine. But lifting weights, running on a treadmill or pedaling in place on a stationary bike, no. Too boring for me.
Ditto on number 2.

I also never mastered downhill skiiing. I've been "sportsy" all my life but this one eluded me.

I feel that I cannot sing, however I did a pretty decent rendition of the Beatles' "Yesterday" and "And I Love Her" at karaoke in Daytona Beach a week ago. It may have had something to do with the 99 cent draft beers, the non-stop attention the karaoke guy was giving to a "new face in the crowd", and the fact I was returning to the hotel by trolley (not driving).
And perhaps it may have slightly mattered that I would never see these people again.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
3) Singing in tune. No, I am not tone deaf. These are different thangs! One is INPUT, the other is OUTPUT! Got that?
4) Dance. Same as above, I get the rhythm of the music, and can mentally tap my feet to it, but cannot move my body to match. Good thing DW also does not care about dancing.
5) Play the guitar. I have posted about this before. My siblings all took piano lessons, and did reasonably well. I wanted to do something different. Failed miserably.
6) To this day, I play no sports, hence have no interest in any sport of any kind. For physical activities, I go up to my boonies home to move some rocks, or trim some trees.
7) I cannot whistle, but I can chew gum, used to smoke a cigarette, while doing whatever.
There are more, but those should be enough. I will wait for someone to start a "Can do" thread, then I will post more.
Can we exchange birth date/location details? Despite undoubted geographical distance (born in UK, now live 'down-under'), most likely temporal inconsistancies, birth-parent non-convergancies and, for all I know, ethnic and cultural phase-shifts........I feel there is a strong likelihood we may be identical twins!

The reference to being completely non-sports oriented literally raised the hairs on the back of my neck (being particularly relevant since I'm totally bald and have no neck-hairs)
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
Can we exchange birth date/location details? Despite undoubted geographical distance (born in UK, now live 'down-under'), most likely temporal inconsistancies, birth-parent non-convergancies and, for all I know, ethnic and cultural phase-shifts........I feel there is a strong likelihood we may be identical twins!

The reference to being completely non-sports oriented literally raised the hairs on the back of my neck (being particularly relevant since I'm totally bald and have no neck-hairs)
I didn't know you were allowed to live in Australia and not be sports-oriented!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote