Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I also never mastered downhill skiiing. I've been "sportsy" all my life but this one eluded me.
That's funny because I was never sportsy or athletic but finally found two things I could do - downhill skiing and horseback riding. I concluded at a young age that I was not good at anything that involved a ball (volleyball, soccer, softball, etc.) but *might* be OK if it instead required balance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me it's anything musical or artistic. Can't sing or play an instrument, though I never really had an interest. Can't draw or paint. I just can't translate the picture I'm looking at or have in my head to paper, plus I'm not very creative.

Chess is another odd one. I have a computer chess game and can only hold my own against the beginner level. Against intermediate, I always leave something open that I don't see, and it's downhill from there. It's strange, because I just thing that seeing all of the possibilities seems like something I should be able to do fairly well.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, there are too many to list. I will say that I am not crafty, can't carry a tune or play any musical instruments, not athletic and can't speak a foreign language, even though I took 3 years of French in high school. Okay, I am going to stop with those before I start feeling bad about all of my shortcomings.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
Can we exchange birth date/location details? Despite undoubted geographical distance (born in UK, now live 'down-under'), most likely temporal inconsistancies, birth-parent non-convergancies and, for all I know, ethnic and cultural phase-shifts........I feel there is a strong likelihood we may be identical twins!

The reference to being completely non-sports oriented literally raised the hairs on the back of my neck (being particularly relevant since I'm totally bald and have no neck-hairs)
Hey, it's great to know that I am not as weird as I often think.

My late father was never into sports, so it rubbed off on me. In our family, we watch no spectator sport games. My son is like me now, although he is good at skateboarding and long boarding, and he plays pool. We like physical activities, but doing our own things like hiking and biking, but not in competitive events or in groups. However, my two brothers like to watch some football games.

And by the way, I remember you as the Aussie who told me I missed out on not sampling roos meat when I was down there. Pat myself on the back for having some free memory cells left.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #45

Im worthless at anything that is commonly thought as useful. And not too good at things generally considered useless. Ive realised this sad and pathetic situation a long time ago. Ive accepted it. I hope my current wife has, too
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #46

I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

No sense of decor or color matching. When I had to buy a dozen suits for work it took months to assemble them and ended up with only white shirts because they go with anything.

No ability (or interest in) any sports that do not involve high-powered engines.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
but doing our own things like hiking and biking, but not in competitive events or in groups.

And by the way, I remember you as the Aussie who told me I missed out on not sampling roos meat when I was down there. Pat myself on the back for having some free memory cells left.
The only 'sport' I ever excelled in was (military) rifle-shooting. This was because I could lay down and do it, so required minimal exertion

Although it was an activity that called for 'personal best' endeavour, that meant that the 'competition' was equally laid-back

As regards the roo-meat....yeah, poor choice on your behalf, had you taken a mouthful or two, maybe your memory-retention could have been improved even more
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I cant play golf - the last time I played I shot around 130
That's my problem too. Tried for years. Won prizes for most honest golfer with scores of 3 then 8 then 11 then 4. It was all in the (wild eratic) drives.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #49

Juggle.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

In the "can do" thread a number of people mentioned their talent for napping. I can't nap for nothing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I didn't know you were allowed to live in Australia and not be sports-oriented!
Remember, in Australia drinking beer is a full-contact sport.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Give birth to babies.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I can't nap for nothing.
Don't nap. Don't even try.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

There's not much I can't do and do well that I also want to do. Playing a musical Instrument is probably it but I still intend to give it a go later on.

Those things I can't do that I don't want to do - plenty of those. But then I haven't really tried very hard on those.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Im worthless at anything that is commonly thought as useful. And not too good at things generally considered useless. Ive realised this sad and pathetic situation a long time ago. Ive accepted it. I hope my current wife has, too
I'm not totally worthless; I can always be used as a bad example.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I've never really found anything that I can't do. There are any number of things that I can't do very well. But my biggest problem is sticking with anything long enough and passionately enough to be able to get really good at it. Short attention span.

Hmmm...after further thought, I've got a few things I can't do anymore. I used to cave and I've always been a big rollercoaster and thrill ride guy. But in the last 10 years I've become somewhat claustrophobic, and a bit prone to motion sickness. And I can't fit into my old jeans anymore, either.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I can't spontaneously belch, burp, make a bubble...eh whatever you want to call it.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I can't spontaneously belch, burp, make a bubble...eh whatever you want to call it.
Good manners?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Good manners?
Well ya know...I sure did get a foul look from my momma whenever one passed my lips...perhaps her teachings did rub off on me.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #60

Multitasking. I can do it, but not very well. This hurts me the most at work - I'm expected to do most of my paperwork while I am with my patient...but I find that I am so focused on teaching the patient, talking with them, etc., that I can't focus long enough to get the paperwork done right then either. When I do one thing, I do it really well, and when I get distracted from it, I have a hard time picking up where I left off. This is why I am always the one staying late to do my paperwork...

I think my brain is better designed to do some kind of job where I work alone uninterrupted. However my personality is very caring and helpful, so I ended up in health care.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote