Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Wind may not be a factor where you are, but canoes have enough sail area to make you work like a slave of you need to go against it.
Quite true. Canoe alone in anything more than light wind and you'll probably end up spinning in circles.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #22

A short canoe was my choice. Shorter canoes are harder to find but most people get ones that are too long. A 13' Gruman lightweight with short keel has been my choice for over 35 years. Works for one or two people in moderate winds, lakes, or whitewater. There are some newer composites out there that will probably save you some weight. You can put a cover on it if you are facing waves or severe whitewater.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #23

Also getting hard to find but you can rig your own--a small mast and keel board will have you sailing small lakes in no time. Don't think you can do that with a kayak.

Wonder if anyone has rigged a kayak like a sailboard?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Kayak is the easiest to handle, but not the best for kids, who get antsy having to sit in a small seat.
We have several boats... all on a no gas motor lake. All are circa 1960's. A Ted Williams fisherman, an aluminum pontoon paddle boat, and a 13' 1967 Sailing canoe. All will take a small electric motor, if we're feeling lazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paddle Pontoon.jpg (357.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sailing canoe.jpg (118.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Also getting hard to find but you can rig your own--a small mast and keel board will have you sailing small lakes in no time. Don't think you can do that with a kayak.

Wonder if anyone has rigged a kayak like a sailboard?

a friend launched a box kite and tied it off just forward of his coaming. He used his greenland paddle as a rudder and sailed out past the breakers from jacksonville to St Augustine.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #26

A canoe but you may need a dog in the front to keep the bow down. You could also add a small electric motor if you get lazy. That said I like the freedom a kayak gives, but a pontoon boat has more cupholders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canoe 2.jpg (501.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
A canoe but you may need a dog in the front to keep the bow down. You could also add a small electric motor if you get lazy. That said I like the freedom a kayak gives, but a pontoon boat has more cupholders.
The 13' I have has the seats positioned so that solo you ride in what would normally be the front seat.

I did find some sail kits for kayaks so they are out there!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #28

Thanks, everyone! I'm dealing with all the stuff that pops up in the last week or so before closing, but this thread will be a great resource once I can start boat-shopping.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My vote would be for a sit on top kayak. I just bought one of these for solo trips:Emotion Kayaks Spitfire 8 Sit-On-Top Kayak - REI.com. Reasonable at 269 dollars, and tracks pretty well for a short fat boat. Sit on tops are easy to get off and on again for that quick swim off the boat. Can't do that in a sit inside kayak or canoe. Then, as others have suggested, buy a tandem kayak or canoe for the group outings. My two cents! Happy boating!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have several paddling years under my belt starting in a canoe at 10 years old. I can paddle any canoe in a straight line all day long without changing paddle sides. Learn a "J" stroke, low brace, high brace and skull stroke and you will really enjoy canoeing. Don't ask me about a canoe in whitewater because my whitewater weapon is a kayak. I have experience in whitewater canoe but the kayak is more practicle. I am a proficient class 4 boater--or was It all takes practice and time on the water. No one mentions paddles but my opinion is that a good paddle pays more dividends than a good boat, both of which are necessary. My kayak paddles are bentshaft carbon fiber ($450) and canoe paddles are bent shaft wood. a cheap (coleman) canoe will not make you happy in many ways. a cheap kayak (sit on top) will make you even more un happy. they are wide but very slow--work yourself to death and not go anywhere...they have no glide. waterline and beam make for a fast and stable boat. sit on tops are the 'worst of both worlds' and will not be something that you enjoy very long. i presently have a custom built surf kayak by Murkey Waters, a whitewater kayak, a tandem glass kayak by Eddyline, two touring skirted kayaks and a canoe i am in the process of re-habbing. I say all this because i would be happy to take anyone out for lessons or demonstrations--no charge. I am retired and I can do this Call NOC for lessons and see what they cost!!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
I presently have a custom built surf kayak by Murkey Waters, a whitewater kayak, a tandem glass kayak by Eddyline, two touring skirted kayaks and a canoe i am in the process of re-habbing.
And you can stop anytime you want, right?

Thanks for the details in your post; I hadn't even thought about the paddle although I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go for the $450 version. The lake is less than a mile long so I'm not too concerned about efficiency. Now, however, I'm wondering if there are other places near us where I can use it. Hermann, MO on the Missouri River when we visit there in September? Some of the large lakes in our area? More research to do.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #32

Never let an opportunity to tell a story go by.
We moved to Upstate NY in 1972, and with four boys, I was very involved in Scouting. Not only was my troop involved in camping and hiking in the Adirondaks, we also did many canoe trips, from 3 days, to ten days. A great experience to see boys grow into men... away from home, and with only what we could carry.
Scott, my youngest, was 8, and couldn't participate, so to make up for this, I planned a two day canoeing camping trip down the Schroon River... Just to be safe, because I didn't know the river, I checked it out, and found that it was relatively calm, with only one section of class II waters... easy enough to navigate.
It was May, and when we put in, the water was high, but calm. For a while. A portage around the bridge and back in... Then... strange... some loud highway sounds, even though we were miles from the highway. Then, around a bend in the river... not highway sounds... rushing water. Whoa!... a 6 foot fog of spray. No way to get to shore. Rocks, drops, whirlpools that I had never seen. Scott in the bow... "Paddle hard Scott!" We were in the middle of it. "Dad... there's some guys over there on the rocks." Sure enough... Two guys, helmets, knee pads, elbow pads... up on the rocks, with half... yes, half of a Old Town Canoe.
Above the roar of the water:
"Can we help you guys?"
"Are you crazy? What are you doing here".

We made it... camped that night ... everything soaking wet and cooking inside the tent... Crashing through the bushes... Must be a bear... A sleepless night lying there with my Buck knife... ready for anything, and swearing to never, never cook inside a tent.

Back home the next day, and to the library for canoeing info... The Schroon...
Class I Class II rapids... except in early spring when at high water, it can go up to class IV and Class V. (Think canoeing up Niagara Falls)

Whitewater: Paddling the Schroon River - - The Adirondack Almanack
Old 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have both a canoe and a kayak. When I go by myself, I take the kayak and when I have company, I take the canoe. They both have their strong points.
+1
Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm right in the midst of the Salish Sea/Georgia Strait/Puget Sound...this is BIG WATER...winds, currents, vast distances to be travelled. Not canoe friendly at all - nor for that matter, all that suitable for stubby little sit on top kayaks....an average paddle for me is 15km...which I can do in around 2 hours.

My kayaks range from 16' to 18.5 feet - these are long distance touring boats, with ample storage available in the water tight bulkheads. In the PNW, these are the way to go - there is a huge sea kayaking community here. It is awesome.

I love the paddling talk going on here.

BTW, here is my current fleet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (574.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #35

For 45 years I've spent a considerable amount of time each year in a canoe. Most of that was camping trips. Presently I have 2 kayaks that my wife and I have enjoyed for the past 6 years for day trips. If you decide a canoe is what would work best for you then consider fiberglass. It is usually less expensive, easier to repair, and doesn't get as hot or cold as aluminum. Since you are not experienced in either type of watercraft then a canoe would be a better choice especially if it will be used by others who are less experienced or younger.

Either way you are going to have fun. You may look into renting both to try them out for a few hours first.

Cheers!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #36

Canoes are great for carrying a lot of weight but are more difficult to paddle. Kayaks can be very forgiving. I have several kayaks now, my Pygmy Opsrey wood boat & greenland paddle is my favorite but I also love my two Folbot folding kayaks (a single and a double and they both sail very well with leeboard setups) also have a Necky Narpa plastic sit inside, good for bashing into things. Recent addition is DWs Hobie inflatable kayak, it is pedal powered and has been very effective in its few outings.

I do think there is a place for sit on tops, they are good for fishing and snorkeling/diving. Loved them in Hawaii Fiji & Rarotonga where I have no where I want to go to and a lot to see.

One thing, don't get a double without a rudder, they are called divorce boats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1379.jpg (18.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Kayaks can be very forgiving. <snip>...also have a Necky Narpa plastic sit inside, good for bashing into things.
The cruise line we took in Alaska (UnCruise.com) used Necky sit-insides and I liked those; I don't have a lot of gross motor co-ordination and when DH and I rented a rowboat at the Parc Real in Madrid once, he had to take the oars to get us out onto the lake! I learned to maneuver a kayak pretty quickly.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
The 13' I have has the seats positioned so that solo you ride in what would normally be the front seat.

I did find some sail kits for kayaks so they are out there!
If you don't have a dog in front, who is going to keep you company?

Enjoying all of the comments.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Yakers, that's funny about 'divorce' boats. The day before out wedding (8 years ago) i took my wife down the natahala river in NC inour new divorce boat, a DISCOVERY tandem canoe in pristine conditon. we flipped it the first rapid. understand this river is 42 degrees year round. short story, my wife got out and will never consider ww again. I sold the boat the next day, our wedding day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 06 04-27.JPG (135.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P7200081.jpg (704.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

you really don't need two people to paddle a canoe...and there are a few underwater strokes that come in hand in a kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7200036.jpg (977.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P7200048.jpg (630.6 KB, 6 views)