Canoe or Kayak?

I've had only limited experience with sit on top kayaks in the ocean and canoes on a lake. When using a kayak I want to catch waves; in a canoe I find it more relaxing & calming.

I just bought this.

Pelican Unison 136T Kayak | DICK'S Sporting Goods

I am SO excited! I saw it in the store and liked the large compartments- roomy enough for DH's long legs and also roomy enough for another adult holding our granddaughter. I already have a lifejacket for her. A friend with a truck will be picking it up for me since it's 13.5" long.

Yesterday our house sold. Most of our earthly goods are in a warehouse till Wednesday. We close Monday morning but the movers couldn't schedule people to move our stuff till Wednesday. It's all coming together!

Congratulations on selling the house and buying the kayak!

Congrats on the sale of the house and the buying of the kayak. Glad to hear that everything is coming together.

We're starting to settle into the new house; the 2 days of packing and moving were brutal (they don't take liquids and you have to keep following them around and pointing out things they "forgot" to pack, then vacuum afterwards). We had a few days in a hotel between closings and still aren't done unpacking but the kitchen, guest BR and MBR look pretty good.

I took it out the day we moved in.

img_1611346_0_004d5b28d6e92b8b843e7bca1eac59d5.jpg

I ended up getting a great price on the boat- caught it on sale at Dick's for $600. A friend with a truck picked it up and delivered it (I gave her an Amazon.com gift card). That's my son and granddaughter with me; granddaughter LOVED it! The boat was a good choice; it's a bit heavy for me to maneuver alone (67 lbs.) but I can get it in and out of the water. I just wouldn't want to drag it back uphill to take it elsewhere. I'm still happy I got the 2-passenger for a first boat; it's a small, calm lake so I can handle it on the water and there are plenty of friends who want to come over and try it out with me!

Well done. enjoy! You can alway get a set of wheels for it, makes it easier to drag about. The wheels attach with straps.

Well done. enjoy! You can alway get a set of wheels for it, makes it easier to drag about. The wheels attach with straps.

+1 on the wheels. I have an Ascend kayak cart that I bought from Bass Pro. I keep the kayak on the cart all summer. Just wheel it back and forth from the garage to the lake. It's a lot easier than carrying the kayak

Ascend Canoe/Kayak Cart | Bass Pro Shops

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.21.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.21.00 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Ok kayakers, which one?

I really love reading all this about kayaking. Here's my situation:

I took a sculling LTR in the spring and have been sculling 3x/week since April. I love it, I love the sleekness and the simplicity of the sculls BUT I just don't enjoy rowing facing backwards all the time.

The local kayak club (Fort Langley) launches at the same dock as the rowers and I always think they look fun too. I'm going to try a dropin with them.

IF, big if, I was to look at a kayak to purchase, where would I go and what specs should I look for. I thoughts on use are:

-loading on a honda civic by myself
-I'm ~165lbs/male & fairly fit 6' tall
-only a single person ever to use
-no overnights
-just rowing in the Fraser River around Fort Langley for fitness/fun
-budget could be up to 2k or so.....
-what paddles? I heard someone mention "bent shaft"
-is MEC a place to shop?

Any specific advice is more than welcome!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

haha, I think I won't bring this up to the scullers at the club!!! Interesting though... :D

Bradner, just on my way out for a 10km trail run, but I can definitely help point you in the right direction in terms of paddling in our wonderful part of the world (southwest BC). I'll revisit the thread when I have some time later.

And yes, kayaking is the way to go. :)

canoes are big & heave, hard to load or use by yourself.
kayaks are lighter, faster, & easier to use by yourself.
i bought all my kayaks used at garage sales & craigslist for well under 1/2 cost of new, that way if i don't like it or want a different one i can resell it to recoup all my $.

first off I'm absolutely do some drop ins with the kayak club just to get a feel for things. thx for taking some time later sea kayaker!!!

The local kayak club (Fort Langley) launches at the same dock as the rowers and I always think they look fun too. I'm going to try a dropin with them.

IF, big if, I was to look at a kayak to purchase, where would I go and what specs should I look for. I thoughts on use are:

-loading on a honda civic by myself
-I'm ~165lbs/male & fairly fit 6' tall
-only a single person ever to use
-no overnights
-just rowing in the Fraser River around Fort Langley for fitness/fun
-budget could be up to 2k or so.....
-what paddles? I heard someone mention "bent shaft"
-is MEC a place to shop?

Any specific advice is more than welcome!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

You appear to be Canadian. Why not get a canoe instead and practice doing what only 10% of Canadians (and probably less than zero others) claim to have done in a canoe.

I may never be a 1%er but I may be a 10%er.

YMMV, enjoy.

Look here for inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom