Join Early Retirement Today

Canon says refilled ink cartridges don't work in PIXMA MX882
Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Canon says refilled ink cartridges don't work in PIXMA MX882

Canon says I have to purchase a new ink cartridge...refills don't work
I recently purchased the Canon PIXMA MX882 all-in-one printer. I purchased a second set of ink cartridges as I like to have a backup just in case. I thought I would save some money by using Costco's cartridge refill plan. Lo and behold, when I replaced the empty black #225 cartridge with the Costco refilled one, the printer does not recognize it. It continues to tell me that the cartridge is empty and to replace it. I did turn the printer off and back on...no change.

I can't believe Costco is scamming me...is Canon wrong? Their tech support guy keeps saying I have to purchase brand new cartridges. He says that the cartridges have a sensor and the printer is picking up an 'empty' signal even though it's full. Is it possible that these #225 and #226 ink cartridge refills work in other Canon printers, but not in this model?

Any thoughts as to what I need to do to get the printer to recognize the refilled cartridge if possible?

I switched to Canon when my HP died, however, it's just as much of a print hog as the HP was/is. I'm thinking of buying a laser printer for purely b&w printing and use the all-in-one for color printing only if what the Canon tech support guy says is true.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes and yes (there's a sensor in the official Canon cartridges, and we also use a HP b/w laser for almost all of our printing).

Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reminder. I see Amazon has the ink I use for less than I paid last time.
Amazon.com: Canon CLI-226 Black,Cyan,Magenta and Yellow with PP-201 50 Sheets Combo Pack (4546B007): Electronics
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an HP Office Pro printer that uses 940 cartridges with the chip to tell if the cartridge is filled or not. I decided to try Office Depot refills and they guarantee theirs will work. The printer recognizes the OD refills but can't give me ink status any more. For the lower cost, I'm willing to keep using them as long as they're guaranteed.

In your case, if they're not working, bring them back to Costco and get a refund. I'm sure Canon just wants you to buy Canon products only. I would try another generic refill, but only if they'll guarantee it will work and has a full refund if it doesn't. So far, I'm happy with the OD refills.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

I believe the chip in the cartridge needs to be replaced or reset.

I have the Pixma MX860 AIO and use generic cartridges with the chip that I usually order from Meritline. Pretty cheap and so far have worked out OK. The printer really goes through the ink though so I keep an extra set around.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I believe the chip in the cartridge needs to be replaced or reset.

. . .
We have a winner , Costco forgot to reset the sensor. I am now able to print those recipes from the slow cooker thread.

Still going to look into ordering 3rd party ink carts from Amazon. Probably cheaper than Costco refills and I have to watch my spending now that I'm retired .
Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yes and yes (there's a sensor in the official Canon cartridges, and we also use a HP b/w laser for almost all of our printing).
That's not a bug, that's a feature!

We also use a laser printer for everyday printing and a separate printer for photos.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

is there a sensor in the lexmark cartridges? the cartridges for my lexmark are expensive and they will not refill them, some kind of recycling program, I had one refilled at walgreens and the printer would also not recognize the new ink.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an 8 year old Dell all-in-one inkjet printer. The printer will make hundreds of copies after the printer says it needs a new ink cartridge. I change ink cartridges when the when the copy quality declines.

I use new Dell cartridges. I have not been favorably impressed with brand-X cartridges.

I have tried to refill cartridges myself, but I usually make a big mess.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll report that I have been refilling the cartridges manually in my Brother printer for a while now, and it has worked flawlessly. I use ink from eBay, and I've probably filled some of the cartridges five times. I've never had a failure.

It's real messy the first time, then it's only a little messy. I wear exam gloves and old clothes.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a pixma mp460 and have been refilling the cartridges with bulk ink. very easy and very little mess. I also wear exam gloves to keep the ink off my fingers. Have refilled them 4 or 5 times. bought the ink from 123 refills.com.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #12

Happy that you got the problem solved!

I've been ordering my generic replacements from Meritline and usually get a better deal when they have a sale. Looks like right now I could get 2 sets of 5 for $17.95 shipped.
Canon CLI-221 (CLI221, PGI-220 BK, CLI-221 BK, CLI-221 C, CLI-221 M, CLI-221 Y) Compatible Inkjet Cartridge Combo with New Chip: One Each of PGI220 Black, CLI221 Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow | Meritline.com

Refilling just sounds too messy for me to want to deal with, but sounds like others on this thread have been happy with the refill yourself option.

Lots of options discussed on this thread so you can decide what works best for your situation.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a lot of research last nite.

I'm going to purchase a b/w Brother laser printer/copier that's on sale at Office Depot, $10 less if purchased on line thru Amazon. Great reviews. I copy quite a bit, so this feature will also pay for itself in ink savings.

Depending on how much I will then use the inkjet, I may continue with Costco refill of the Canon carts or look into going the ink refill kits route.

Frank, from my research, it appears all manufacturers have sensors in their carts. Refills do fail quite a bit more than official carts or Walgreens may have done the same as Costco, not resetting the sensor. Fortunately, Costco guarantees that they will work, so if I do get one that fails, I get my money back and have to buy retail. You can buy sensor reset doohickeys on line if you go the refill kit routes. I saw one for Lexmark for $8...my Canon model reset thingy was $20. Well worth it if you go the refill kit route.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have been refilling ink cartridges (BC-02) for my Cannon printer for at least 7-8 years (maybe more). I bought a refill kit for about 5$ from Inksell.com that works like a champ, though you can get your mitts a bit inky if you are not careful. It's for a 15 YO Cannon printer that I am trying to make last as long as possible...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Try LDProducts. They have great prices on ink cartridges. I use them on my Canon.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We have used Carrotink.com for a looong time and are very happy with them.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
... I bought a refill kit for about 5$ from Inksell.com that works like a champ, though you can get your mitts a bit inky if you are not careful. It's for a 15 YO Canon printer that I am trying to make last as long as possible...
I dread the day my Canon ip2000 printer dies. Purchased DEC2004 for $75, and it uses cheap, un-chipped carts. About $1.50 each, and a pair of B&W/Color carts (one combined color cart) last over 3 months (roughly 100 sheets/month - less now that kids are out of the house and not printing homework). Nothing comes close other than a B&Q laser, but they are big, heavy, and B&W. I send photos to Costco for printing.

I buy the carts from anyone with a reputation and good price. No clogging problems that I can attribute to 3rd party carts (my ip2000 has been great, other canon printers like this int he family have had some clogs, but some of those happened with Canon carts).

-ERD50
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

I gather most people on this thread are referring to inkjets for everyday document printing. For that purpose whatever is cheapest is fine.

For photo printing another set of criteria come into play and that is the longevity of the prints. In this regard this guy Wilhelm Imaging Research has done an astonishing amount of research on the topic.

The cheapest ink on the cheapest paper starts to fade in as little as a few months. The "biggie" printer makers - Epson, Canon, HP - have spent a large fortune on ink and paper formulations that "play nice" with each other and will last for several generations. So it is for that reason that for photo printing only I buy the HP inks and paper. That said, Office Max now has a 20% off sale on cartridges so I gotta get over there in the next day or so.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I gather most people on this thread are referring to inkjets for everyday document printing. For that purpose whatever is cheapest is fine.

For photo printing another set of criteria come into play and that is the longevity of the prints. In this regard this guy Wilhelm Imaging Research has done an astonishing amount of research on the topic.

The cheapest ink on the cheapest paper starts to fade in as little as a few months. The "biggie" printer makers - Epson, Canon, HP - have spent a large fortune on ink and paper formulations that "play nice" with each other and will last for several generations. So it is for that reason that for photo printing only I buy the HP inks and paper. That said, Office Max now has a 20% off sale on cartridges so I gotta get over there in the next day or so.
Yep, no scrimping and saving on photo printing for me...only the best will do!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I dread the day my Canon ip2000 printer dies. Purchased DEC2004 for $75, and it uses cheap, un-chipped carts. About $1.50 each, and a pair of B&W/Color carts (one combined color cart) last over 3 months (roughly 100 sheets/month - less now that kids are out of the house and not printing homework). Nothing comes close other than a B&Q laser, but they are big, heavy, and B&W. I send photos to Costco for printing.

I buy the carts from anyone with a reputation and good price. No clogging problems that I can attribute to 3rd party carts (my ip2000 has been great, other canon printers like this int he family have had some clogs, but some of those happened with Canon carts).

-ERD50
When it dies, go to a rummage sale or two, and you'll find a replacement. I have a backup MFC 210 printer in the garage in case of problems.

Depending on the cartridge, if you don't refill yours, you can get some extra ink out of them by fooling the "out of ink" sensor with electrical tape or magic marker.