Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

We watched the show last night, and for sure, it brought back memories... We were in our late 20's, with three kids, living in Falmouth MA, and working about 90 hours a week... Sunday night was the quiet time... Ed Sullivan came on TV at 8 PM, and the hype was fantastic... As I recall, the music albums hadn't been released yet and the only music that we could hear up until that time, was some censor garbled previews that were broadcast on WBZ radio in Boston...
Our oldest kids were 4 and 5, and we let them stay up to see the long haired crazies from England play and sing music that was "different" to say the least. (We grew up with the Hit Parade... Snooky Lanson, Dorothy Collins and Gisele MacKenzie - and Dick Clark's American Bandstand.)

I think my reaction at the time was... "It'll never last".
It's why I don't invest in the stock market.

Those two younger fellows, Ringo and Paul, did themselves proud... A great show!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son re-tweeted this because I told him I missed most of the show -

Back by popular demand! CBS is re-broadcasting THE BEATLES: THE NIGHT THAT CHANGED AMERICA THIS WEDNESDAY Feb 12 at 8:30 EST / 7:30 Central

If you are setting up a DVR it runs 2.5 hrs, 8:30 to 11:00 PM Eastern Time.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #23
Administrator

Here's a funny perspective, opinions given 50 years ago about the Fab 4 around the time of their first US appearance. Cherry picked, but still enjoyable.

What the critics wrote about the Beatles in 1964 - latimes.com
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here's a funny perspective, opinions given 50 years ago about the Fab 4 around the time of their first US appearance. Cherry picked, but still enjoyable.

Fun read, reinforcing once again the first stage of...

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

My Dad was sure The Beatles would be lucky to even get their "15 minutes of fame."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My son re-tweeted this because I told him I missed most of the show - Back by popular demand! CBS is re-broadcasting THE BEATLES: THE NIGHT THAT CHANGED AMERICA THIS WEDNESDAY Feb 12 at 8:30 EST / 7:30 Central If you are setting up a DVR it runs 2.5 hrs, 8:30 to 11:00 PM Eastern Time.
I bet Katy Perry is just all types excited that the show is going to be rebroadcast. It will give even more people a chance to lambast her performance.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

DH told me how outrageously shocked his parents were at how long the Beatles' hair was as seen on the Ed Sullivan show. Their heads must have exploded when they saw hair go to shoulder length on men just a few years later.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
DH told me how outrageously shocked his parents were at how long the Beatles' hair was as seen on the Ed Sullivan show. Their heads must have exploded when they saw hair go to shoulder length on men just a few years later.
Long hair and bell bottomed trousers. And those John Lennon glasses.

I remember well that period, the outrage was real. Back then the gym teachers also enforced the dress and behaviour code. It was a real struggle.

Dearest Mom seriously thought it was the beginning of the end of civilized society. I didn't make it any easier on her and am surprised we managed to survive the whole thing and be such good friends.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Really fun to read these 50 years later.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Long hair and bell bottomed trousers. And those John Lennon glasses.

I remember well that period, the outrage was real. Back then the gym teachers also enforced the dress and behaviour code. It was a real struggle.

Dearest Mom seriously thought it was the beginning of the end of civilized society. I didn't make it any easier on her and am surprised we managed to survive the whole thing and be such good friends.
Aah Long Hair!. I remember back in (all boy Catholic) high school (early 70s) where your hair could not be over the collar. Some of my classmates wore wigs to hide their long hair.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The rebroadcast is almost worth watching in it's entirety to hear "Hey Bulldog" again. I had forgotten about that song as I think it was on Yellow Submarine. I have read some reviews and get a chuckle out of them. One of them was, "The tens of people spread across America eagerly waiting for Annie and Dave reuniting were disappointed with their performance". You could spend a year reading about the critical panning of Katy Perry's performance. She probably should have left that song up to the big boys like Grohl or Lynne and sang something more to her level like "All Together Now" or "Maggie Mae".
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Aah Long Hair!. I remember back in (all boy Catholic) high school (early 70s) where your hair could not be over the collar. Some of my classmates wore wigs to hide their long hair.
At my private high school, they would actually measure the length of girls' skirts in the principal's office if the length was in question. Skirts had to come down to the exact center of one's kneecap, at least, or lower.

So much for mini-skirts!

Now, it seems like kids walk around with their pants lower than that and their underwear showing. What a reversal.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At my private high school, they would actually measure the length of girls' skirts in the principal's office if the length was in question. Skirts had to come down to the exact center of one's kneecap, at least, or lower.

So much for mini-skirts!

Now, it seems like kids walk around with their pants lower than that and their underwear showing. What a reversal.
At a small K-12 school I attended for a mercifully brief time in southern Looziana in the late 60s, my hem was ripped out of my skirt because the skirt was a tiny bit too short. 7th grade.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I vaguely remember low-slung pants were popular with some in the Fifties, though it's reach new heights depths with the hiphop generation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So much for mini-skirts!
The girls at the Catholic HS I went too had to kneel and the nuns would measure from the floor to the hem, I don't know what the cutoff measurement was (since I'm not a girl). But all the girls just rolled their skirts (inward) at the waistband to be as short as they wanted at any given time...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote