Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can't believe it was 50 years ago!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't believe it was 50 years ago!

The memory of watching Ed Sullivan that night could not be more vivid, like it happened yesterday.

I Want To Hold Your Hand at Ed Sullivan Show - YouTube

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I was 4 when they landed but they became favorites when disco was raging.

Here's a site I like a lot, beatles 24x7 Beatles music internet radio | The Music Stream of the Fab Four, 24-7!
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was just 9 years old, but I remember very clearly the Beatles 1st appearance on Ed Sullivan. By chance, we were visiting my Aunt & Uncle, and my two cousins were girls, in their mid-teens at the time. I knew nothing about the Beatles, but they knew everything about them.

So this is exactly is how I remember The Beatles appearance:

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beatles-ed-sullivan-b.jpg (77.5 KB, 9 views)
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I can still remember that Ed Sullivan show . I was at my best friend's house and we watched it on a small black & white TV. .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was 11 and didn't have a clue. My mom said the Beatles would be on Ed Sullivan and until I saw them I was expecting to see some bugs doing tricks or something...no, seriously!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was 15. Medicare and half century old rock and roll memories. Truly a senior citizen.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #7

This might be worth a watch, CBS is airing a grammy salute tonight. Looks to be interviews, clips, song covers by various artists

The Beatles 50th Anniversary - GRAMMYS: The Night That Changed America - CBS.com
Old 02-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Oooh, thanks for the headzup!
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister was talking about this today. She was 9 and remembers it well. {I was 3 and don't} She said my Daddy said, "they are just a bunch of beatniks." It was before the word hippie was coined.

Larro
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
This might be worth a watch, CBS is airing a grammy salute tonight. Looks to be interviews, clips, song covers by various artists

The Beatles 50th Anniversary - GRAMMYS: The Night That Changed America - CBS.com
Absolutely fabulous! What a great show they put together. It's hard to believe but Paul and Ringo have still "got it", after all these years and their performances were pretty amazing, I thought. Just goes to show you, it's the heart more than the once youthful voice that comes through when they sing. The rest of the show was beyond excellent as well.

I remember seeing them as well. I was supposed to be doing homework, but my parents were out and I knew it was a show I would always remember....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #11

I loved the show tonight. It must have been amazing for the people who were there.

I was 10 yrs old when they came, but had no memory of the show. Then it hit me, that was doing the time I was in an orphanage. I can't remember any TVs there. Oh well, I have loved the Beatles for many years now.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

What a great show (shew in Ed-speak). What a great band!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It was a great show. I'll take what Ringo is having at 73 wow. He still is a great drummer and they are amazing showman. I guess I'll forgive CBS for running all the ads for us old folks drugs...
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My mom took the other kids to see the Beatles at Shea (I was judged too young ). I wasn't happy, but it cemented me thinking she was a cool lady.

I did get to see George and Ringo on the "Dark Horse" tour at The Stadium several years later.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I was 11 and didn't have a clue. My mom said the Beatles would be on Ed Sullivan and until I saw them I was expecting to see some bugs doing tricks or something...no, seriously!
I remember the Friday before that Ed Sullivan show. I was in 5th grade, and kids in the lunch room were talking about watching the "beetles." I asked them about why bugs would be on TV.

Of course they "brought me up to speed," and the whole world changed after that: memorizing words to their LP's at girlfriend sleepovers, playing "Yesterday" and "Michelle" 45's till they wore out, playing pool while singing along to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band."

John Lennon got me started on poetry, which led to Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell...........and an English major.

(Though I was already a bookworm.......which might be why I thought we'd be watching bugs on TV!)

Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Seeing them for the first time on TV started another activity for my friends and I (pre-teen). Playing "air guitar", singing along, and imagining you were in the band (think Tom Cruise in Risky Business). My dad later bought me a real guitar but it was used only as a prop. I couldn't imagine doing that to any of the previous performers - Elvis, Frankie Avalon, etc. Oh wait, maybe Chuck Berry? Anyone else have an imaginary group?
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't born until later in that year, so I missed the invasion. I read that back in the day when they were playing the stadium concerts, they would whip through a dozen or so songs and be done in less than an hour. I think I would have felt I got ripped off. Last year when I went to a McCartney concert he played 3 hours without an intermission or warm up band.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan. I was almost 9 and my sister and I sat on the floor in front of the tv to watch it. Her 12th birthday was coming up in April and later my Mom asked me if she thought my sister would like a Beatles album for her birthday. Of course I said YES! We shared a room and a record player so that was the start of our music collection.

I was watching the Olympics last night and forgot the Beatles thing was on until the 2nd half. I wish I would have seen the whole thing as I really enjoyed the part I saw.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I was 12 and remember every detail of the Ed Sullivan show. Paul was the cute one, John the smart one, George the quiet one and Ringo the funny one. I loved them then and still do. I think they still look and perform great.
I am still sad that John and George are gone.

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #20

Ringo still looked pretty spry, Paul looked like age was catching up with him a little.