Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cant decide on a plow for my ATV or used snowblower....
Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cant decide on a plow for my ATV or used snowblower....

I have a 4x4 ATV that can be outfitted with a 48" plow for about $500.

My only drawback to this scenario is that the bike is about 10 yrs old, and dealer service isn't too quick....usually 7 working days or so....therefore we could be in trouble if the quad breaks down during a storm. On the flipside, it's never broken down since I owned it. I CAN transfer this plow to another bike down the road for a cost of about $100. The plow assembly should last me for life. Plus, plowing with my Craftsman mower was a blast...I'm sure this would be moreso! Of course wear n tear on the quad will be increased by plowing. Storage is a pain because I need to make room for this badboy with plow attached in the garage.

My other choice it to buy a used snowblower from craigslist or something similar . I can get a nice 2 stage, 28" blower for about 300-500 depending on options. My thought process here is the motors are smaller and easier to repair (even by me at times). With limited use (not going mudding every weekend thru spring and summer like the quad), I should be able to make it last 10+ years with limited maintenance. If/when it needs replaced, I'll be out another 500 or so for another. Storage is a plus here bcause the snowblower will take up less room than the quad.

Any ideas? Input?

My driveway is about 120 ft long, uphill towards house....16 ft wide
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A forty eight inch plow is pretty small but appropriate if your ATV is less than 500cc. How big is your ATV? How much snow do you get? The guys I know who plow with ATVs like them a lot, provided that there is a place to push the snow. Do you have a winch on it? A winch lift is important for ease of plowing.

Warn is a good brand.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
A forty eight inch plow is pretty small but appropriate if your ATV is less than 500cc. How big is your ATV? How much snow do you get? The guys I know who plow with ATVs like them a lot, provided that there is a place to push the snow. Do you have a winch on it? A winch lift is important for ease of plowing.

Warn is a good brand.
it's a 400cc bike, and i've been advised to stick with the 48" because of the weight of the bike. I'm in NE ohio and shouldnt be plowing more than 6" at a time. I plan on getting a manual lift as I dont want to get a winch right now...too much more money to get a reliable one (ie warn). Plus, i dont want the hassle of putting it on. Someday though, i will get one to help me out of some mudholes I find!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I prefer a blower to a blade because it does not leave piles that would cause large drifts. Our situation is probably different as I have only used 7 to 8 foot tractor or truck mount types.
Bruce
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More concern is the driveway surface. nice smooth blacktop or concrete, either plow or blower will work. Gravel, snow blower=missile launcher.
I have both plow and blower, mostly use blower on concrete driveway.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #6

It's blacktop....

I think I'm going for the plow because the few leads on good blowers went sour today...but always open to suggestions
Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well then: whatever is most available at least cost
Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #8

I would say go for the snow thrower. The reason is that eons ago I had a plow on a lawn tractor, but even with wheel weights and chains on it the driving wheels would spin in any snow over about 4" or so. So I ended up shoveling the heavy stuff anyway. Also sometimes the snow was heavy enough with the plow angled to push the front wheels to the side, instead of pushing the snow to the side. In short, that 1980 14 hp IH lawn tractor just wasn't heavy enough to push snow with. I forget the weight but I'm sure it was over 400 lbs.

I've been very happy with my Ariens snow thrower.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a plow on my ATV. It's way faster than a snowblower, and does a much nicer job of clearing the skating rink too. You probably use the ATV all year so no worries about 8 month old stale gas in it. Just one thing to remember is to clear your driveway past its edges since because your plow can't "throw" snow, your driveway will get just a bit narrower every time you use it.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I plow my drive with my atv also. Far better than the snowblower I used to have. The blade on the atv handles wet slushy snow far better than the snowblower
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #11

Well, i decided to get the plow for m,y 99 Scrambler 4x4. It is not only a blast to use, but it's quick and very effective. I just went out to help my fruitcake neighbor who waited all day to attempt his plowing....he has a craftsman mower, no chains, no weights, 8-10" of wet snow, and a slightly inclined driveway. After watching him struggle for a while I figured I'd lend a helping hand (even though I truly despise the guy for other reasons...trying to be the bigger person here). Although i couldnt get great traction from the middle of the driveway, once I cleared a full length path I was on my way....100 ft, 2 car driveway in less than 10 minutes....

I finally found a spot in my heated garage for the quad so it starts easier in this weather and the battery doesnt die so quickly while not being used

anyone considering a quad should definately go for it....plus they are a blast in the summer! A few told me not to bother with my 'wimpy' sport-utility quad which weighs only 450-500 lbs.... baaah! This thing is a monster. I drove off my driveway down a steep grade and had no problem trudging upwards through 1+ft drifts at a 45 degree angle with the plow in the front....