Can't Open Facebook

Can someone explain how a problem at our ISP could cause us to be able to open any web site except one?
Might have involved their DNS servers - the name wasn't in cash and they didn't query higher level servers or something like that.

T-
I have slow internet, I know that already. :) But, I can watch youtube videos on my home desktop, the laptop, and even the iPhone without a huge amount of buffering drama, but the iPad is hopeless. I mean really hopeless. Most of the time I just give up and don't finish watching stuff. Have you experienced problems with the iPad and youtube? I looked around online and it seems as though it is a problem, but there isn't a fix that I could get to work (especially since this is the only device that is a problem).

Sarah,

what kind of ipad? Does it have 3g?

T-Al, it just occurred to me to ask you, king of iPads, this question:

I have slow internet, I know that already. :) But, I can watch youtube videos on my home desktop, the laptop, and even the iPhone without a huge amount of buffering drama, but the iPad is hopeless. I mean really hopeless. Most of the time I just give up and don't finish watching stuff. Have you experienced problems with the iPad and youtube? I looked around online and it seems as though it is a problem, but there isn't a fix that I could get to work (especially since this is the only device that is a problem).

I think it is the mobile (iPad version) of youtube that is to blame, but I can't seem to get to Youtube on the non-mobile version when I'm using the iPad.

Sarah, I didn't see your post until RockyMtn quoted it just now. I have a wi-fi only iPad, and have had few if any problems with youtube. I wouldn't want to watch a movie on it, though.

Might have involved their DNS servers - the name wasn't in cash and they didn't query higher level servers or something like that.
You may try putting google DNS server 8.8.8.8 as the backup and use command "tracert <website>" from dos prompt to check the connectivity.

Consider this a blessing or wake-up call.

This graphic kinda shows the answer.

DNS is not just stored in one place. Let's say FB server X went down. They should have a failover of sorts where nothing needs changing. However, stuff happens and the DNS for replacement server has to propagate from the top down. That takes time, and when it gets to your ISP, they may be behind the curve, and have inaccurate DNS.

2ND thing comes to mind is that your route to the DNS is fram-boozled. On that graphic, things are much more complicated, and points of failure are all over the place. Some DNS is cached in your computer, in your router, in your cable modem, in ISP gateway, and so on. Flush all of those locations and things will work.

I can think of a lot of things to say about FB, but most of them would get censored.

Sarah,

what kind of ipad? Does it have 3g?

Yes, it is wifi plus 3G, an iPad2. And I suspect it is something to do with the way I've set up the wifi at the house. I checked for the same problem on my faster wifi at the office, and while it does seem that the buffer time is longer, it isn't the agonizing wait that I've got at home.
I use an Apple Airplay for wifi at home, and we are on DSL there, if I didn't actually mention that before. The laptop works okay on it, and so does my iPhone.
Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom