Can't Open Facebook

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's a strange problem:

Lena found that when she tries to go to facebook.com, she gets a server not found error.

I get something similar on my computer.

I also can't load it on my iPod Touch ("Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding.").

I've run Malwarebytes and HouseCall virus checks and neither detected any malware, and I wouldn't expect that something infected our PCs and the iPod.

There's not news about an attack on facebook. Could there be a problem at the ISP level?

Any ideas?

DownRightNow.com says that facebook may be having problems right now.

Well, I was just able to login to FB and post a comment so it's working fine for me.
Have you tried the reboot trick for your router and computers? Sometimes that can clear up a glitch.
Can you check on your ISP's website to see if they are reporting any problems?

Rebooting the server and cable modem did not solve the problem. The ipod now says "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet." but other sites load OK.

I'm not even on Facebook but I was easily able to connect.

Wonder what Lena posted on her Facebook page :)

I don't do facebook.

At times had connection slow/non-existent problems, Rebooted the router. Problems solved. Unplug wait 10 replug, unless you know how via keyboard. They get flakey at times.

I had the same problem earlier this afternoon. I tried to use FB and it was bit responding or refreshing on my iPhone. Tried using both 3G, as well as WIFI at the Florida Visitors Center. Both were a 'no go'.

About 2 hours later I was able to again connect to FB with both 3G and WIFI. I've found that ocassionally FB has these kinds of belches and farts....er, I mean problems.

Sometimes a facebook server will go down. My daughter and I are on different FB servers, so sometimes mine will be down and not hers or vice versa. They usually come back online in a few hours.

Here's a strange problem:

Lena found that when she tries to go to facebook.com, she gets a server not found error. ....

Any ideas?

Count your blessings :dance:

I almost never go to FB but on another BB something came up and I went to FB to see what the fuss was about and I was able to get there ok, that was about 3 hours ago.

I think the ISP is having some general problems. Other sites will have intermittent loading problems.

Instead of trying to resolve it, I'll just give things some time.

Still won't come up. Since Lena's the facebook enthusiast, I suggested she call tech support.

Suddenlink doesn't have a status web page nor a status phone line. Think of all the money they would save, if they would have a phone number with a message saying "All systems are fine" or "We are experiencing some problems related to blah blah..." Instead, thousands of customers will call tech support when an issue arises.

T-Al, it just occurred to me to ask you, king of iPads, this question:

I have slow internet, I know that already. :) But, I can watch youtube videos on my home desktop, the laptop, and even the iPhone without a huge amount of buffering drama, but the iPad is hopeless. I mean really hopeless. Most of the time I just give up and don't finish watching stuff. Have you experienced problems with the iPad and youtube? I looked around online and it seems as though it is a problem, but there isn't a fix that I could get to work (especially since this is the only device that is a problem).

I think it is the mobile (iPad version) of youtube that is to blame, but I can't seem to get to Youtube on the non-mobile version when I'm using the iPad.

Sorry, Sarah, I can't help you with the iPad problems -- we only had an iPad briefly, sending it back because it didn't work as a laptop replacement for Lena.

Good luck.

Lena called Suddenlink, and they said they are aware of the problem are will "send someone out" before five PM. I'm not clear on what they would physically do, but we'll see.

So Al do you have FB back? I just posted a video of a pair of lions mating on FB - not to be missed. When I get some time I will post a brief trip report here.

Yes, it went up again last night. No one from Suddenlink came to our house.

So now Lena is reconnected with her family in Sweden, Jenny, and of course Don's ******* lions.

Can someone explain how a problem at our ISP could cause us to be able to open any web site except one?

Back
Top Bottom