Can't view from your country

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Since Al Jazeera America shut down I've reverted to NPR and PBS, as well as The Atlantic, Mother Jones, The Nation and similar "in depth" sources for news and comment.

Al Jazeera English would be a partial substitute, as a streaming video site, but although individual articles are shown, clicking on the videos brings this up:

The video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location.

I expect that thee's a way to get around this... like maybe VPN? Is this legal? ... and, who cares?

Am frustrated with the shallowness of US network news. All channels. It hit home tonite, when one of the featured stories was about some young actress who had double jointed elbows.

Even with the wider selection of video from Roku, and places like Nowhere TV, not much to choose for in-depth current commentary.

Appears to me, we're getting closer to isolationism, which makes me sad. Nothing to do with politics, per se... but news gathering.

Ok to delete, but I just wonder if others feel this way. Looking ahead to 5, 10 or 15 years down the line. :confused:

OAN (One America News) offers a fair amount of international coverage.

There is always the BBC site providing both the world service and separate news articles. as well as reuters. Then you can get newswires from other places as well. For example AFP (agence France Presse) afp.com, various english newpapers etc, CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV for a Canadian slant, dpa for a german slant (in english) at dpa-international.com.

On my iPad I have several international news apps. Currently I am in Europe, and the only one that does not work is PBS Newshour. I presume this is by design. Something to do with licensing fees, like Netflix. I used a VPN to change my location to the country where I currently am, and that worked.

Am frustrated with the shallowness of US network news. All channels. It hit home tonite, when one of the featured stories was about some young actress who had double jointed elbows. :confused:
+1:wiseone:
So many of the supposed US "news" shows and channels are nothing more than either entertainment drivel or so biased as to be irrelevant. IMHO, YMMV.

A great source of world news is the Economist magazine.

If you already have one, or want to purchase an Amazon Firestick ($39), then check out installing the Kodi program on YouTube. Once Kodi is installed on the Firestick it will stream programs from multiple countries. I regularly watch BBC News or other European news programs with it. Some even in HD dependent on your downlink speed of course.

If you already have one, or want to purchase an Amazon Firestick ($39), then check out installing the Kodi program on YouTube. Once Kodi is installed on the Firestick it will stream programs from multiple countries. I regularly watch BBC News or other European news programs with it. Some even in HD dependent on your downlink speed of course.

Thanks to all for the feedback... Obviously there's more out there than anyone could handle, so it's not the lack of sources. What I enjoyed most was the continuous viewing of so many different subjects... by watching that single station.

Similar to the Firestick(s), I use the Roku3... which has BBC, and RT... Russia TV.. and many, many more sources.
In addition (for anyone who hasn't tried it) check out Nowhere TV... which offers hundreds of stations.... now including AlJazeera English... but not as streaming. Individual stories, up to an hour long from recent broadcasts are now available. About a one day delay.

Maybe insensitive, but it is hard to balance the in depth stories of a gangland shooting in Chicago, with the current situation in Ethiopia where 8 million people are in neartime danger of starvation.

Am getting too old to appreciate the so-called "news stations", (and not just Fox) that feature panels of chattering, giggling, talking heads... with so little in-depth reporting and so many commercials. Even the pretty girls with short dresses don't make up for the shallow reportage. Speaks to the profit motive and the decline of serious coverage that was once the norm. [sigh}

Am getting too old to appreciate the so-called "news stations", (and not just Fox) that feature panels of chattering, giggling, talking heads... with so little in-depth reporting and so many commercials. Even the pretty girls with short dresses don't make up for the shallow reportage. Speaks to the profit motive and the decline of serious coverage that was once the norm. [sigh}
+1:)

+1:wiseone:
So many of the supposed US "news" shows and channels are nothing more than either entertainment drivel or so biased as to be irrelevant. IMHO, YMMV.

... which is why I have been appreciating Al Jazeera, BBC, NHK, CCTV, .... US, so called, news media have gotten bad from worse. But they can be entertaining at times.

Fresh off the [-]press [/-] net, a baked in VPN right in the browser:

Opera's baked-in VPN will let users access sites blocked in their countries, or by their employers or schools. It will also anonymize the user -- the VPN disguises the actual IP address of the user -- by making it appear that the browser originated elsewhere. In a public setting, such as a coffee shop's Wi-Fi network, a VPN also provides a secure "tunnel" to the destination, preventing theft of credentials and personal information like passwords.

Opera browser bakes in free VPN | Computerworld

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm currently using the SurfEasy VPN app on my iPad. It cost $30 for the year.

Now, if only I could download current foreign books to my Kindle or Overdrive apps, I'd be happy.

Back
Top Bottom