Join Early Retirement Today

Captain and Tennille Divorcing
Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Captain and Tennille Divorcing

Quote:
It’s been a rough week for Baby Boomers: First the Professor from “Gilligan’s Island,” actor Russell Johnson, died at the age of 89. And now the Captain and Tennille have called it quits after 39 years of marriage.
Quote:
Toni Tennille, 73, filed for divorce from Daryl Dragon, 71, in Prescott, Ariz. on Jan. 16. The Grammy Award-winning duo was known for a string of catchy (and sometimes-annoying) 1970s hits like “Love Will Keep Us Together,” “Muskrat Love” and “Do That to Me One More Time” and even hosted their own television variety show for a season.
Captain and Tennille, musical duo of the ’70s, divorcing after 39 years of marriage

I could see the conversation now...

Captain: You better stop, 'cause I really love you
Stop, I've been thinkin' of you
Look in my heart
And let love keep us together

Tennille: Yeah, whatever

On the serious side, it is kind of sad, after 39 years and also the mention of health related issues.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is sad news. I would have expected their marriage to be one of the ones that endured and they could be happy together for the rest of their lives. Must be my happily ever after thinking.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This saddens me. DW and I were just discussing how they were one of the few who "made it." Dang.

You have to think that Daryl's condition is a part of this in some way.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #4

Insurance? Protecting assets?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

That's a blast from the past. Sad that they are divorcing. They also both look very good for their early 70s. I really really hated their 70s music!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I saw them perform in Lake Tahoe back in 1979 while on my honeymoon...their marriage lasted a lot longer than mine!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I saw them perform in Lake Tahoe back in 1979 while on my honeymoon...their marriage lasted a lot longer than mine!

Ha! Several years ago, my only remaining uncle's only daughter was wed. The ceremony was very long, with music, videos, etc. Afterward I told him that the wedding lasted longer than my marriage! Not sure he saw the humor in that, perhaps because it cost him a small fortune..,

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #8

Sad in a way but this is becoming my first response more often these days:

"Are they still alive?!"
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I saw their TV show way back in the 70's. It was quite good. What we noticed was that the 'captain' while appearing to be a piano playing buffoon on stage was actually very subtly managing the show and keeping it going at a lively pace.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I guess love won't necessarily keep you together !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read that this divorce may be due to medical issues and protecting their assets and necessarily not due to lost love. Apparently, the Captain has had a long struggle with Parkinson's and divorce was the only option to keep medical costs putting them in the poor house. It is a crazy world.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/encore/...tain-tennille/
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
I read that this divorce may be due to medical issues and protecting their assets and necessarily not due to lost love. Apparently, the Captain has had a long struggle with Parkinson's and divorce was the only option to keep medical costs putting them in the poor house. It is a crazy world.

Did insurance woes break up The Captain & Tennille? - Encore - MarketWatch
If this is the reason, then chalk one up for love as the divorce is just a financial move.

Sounds like the divorce is to have the Captain get medicaid assistance and not deplete her assets along the way.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If this is the reason, then chalk one up for love as the divorce is just a financial move.

Sounds like the divorce is to have the Captain get medicaid assistance and not deplete her assets along the way.
I'm no lawyer, but this may or may not work. Aren't there clawback provisions that could apply?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm no lawyer, but this may or may not work. Aren't there clawback provisions that could apply?

I thought exactly the same thing. If this were that easy, every couple with any assets would do this.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #15

Yes, there usually are clawback provisions, typically if he dies within 5 years. And it may not be every couple with assets that does this, but it is an awful lot of them. There are lots and lots of elder law attorneys pushing this and similar schemes. I do know several couples who did similar things to prevent exhausting all joint assets in care of one. If the issue here is memory care (which was at least one report) then there's good reason to think he will require more than 5 years of care.

I'm more surprised in this case that they don't have enough assets to pay for the care without running out. That's my plan, so I can avoid the ethical problems of what to do in such a situation.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #16

So, are they scammers of sort just trying to get somebody else to pay for their stuff? Or are they, even with their hit records, copyright royalties, & show bizz bucks, that tapped-out from medical expenses (or trying to avoid being tapped-out) that they need to resort to this kind of thing?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Many celebrities make a lot of money and end up needing help.

Quote:
The Motion Picture Hospital was dedicated on the grounds of the Country House in 1948. In attendance were Ronald Reagan, Shirley Temple, and Robert Young, among other stars. Services were later extended to those working in the television industry as well, and the name was altered to reflect the change.
Scores of movie notables spent their last years here; so have far less famous people from behind the scenes of the industry. Those with money paid their own way, while others, who had no money, paid nothing. Fees are based solely on the "ability to pay."
Individuals in movies, TV, and other aspects of the industry, are accepted, from actors, artists, backlot men, cameramen, directors, extras, producers, security guards and stars. To qualify for a cottage, applicants (or their spouses) must have reached a minimum age of seventy, working steadily for at least twenty years in entertainment industry production. The waiting time is usually a few months, with no preference given to celebrities or those who can pay their own way, officials of the fund have said.
Quote:
Famous residents

The * means they died while living there.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Rest in peace, Captain. Although we don't know all the details of the divorce, I'm heartened to hear they remained friends and Toni was with him near the end. Life is short, but love will keep us together...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-76-1172534

Quote:
Daryl Dragon, the musician best known as the Captain from the group The Captain and Tennille, died due to renal failure on Wednesday. He was 76.
"He was a brilliant musician with many friends who loved him greatly. I was at my most creative in my life, when I was with him," said Toni Tennille, Dragon's longtime partner and ex-wife, in remembrance. She was with him when he died.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Rest in peace, Captain. Although we don't know all the details of the divorce, I'm heartened to hear they remained friends and Toni was with him near the end. Life is short, but love will keep us together...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-76-1172534
I thought the divorce had something to do with strategy for better health care or finances for them both. Not sure.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think I read a few days ago that he died.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote