Join Early Retirement Today

car accident and insurance
Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

car accident and insurance

One of my close relatives got reared-ended recently, he doesn't speak English and has liability insurance only on his car(with Farmers Ins.) So my mom called Farmers for him, she was told that they wouldn't be dealing with the other insurance company to get his car repaired at all since the policy is liability only. Is this standard industry practice? I thought they'd help you get your car fixed if the other party is at fault? what're his options now? go to a lawyer?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

exactly the line i've received from my liability only insurers after not-my-fault accidents. your relative gets to deal with the at fault parties insurer.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #3

Often if you have collision/comp on your policy and someone else at fault hits you, your insurer will pay out to you and then (through "subrogation") they'll seek reimbursement from the at-fault party's insurer.

If you don't have collision and comp, your insurer has no obligation to facilitate the repair or replacement of your vehicle in case of an accident, even if the other party is at fault.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Often if you have collision/comp on your policy and someone else at fault hits you, your insurer will pay out to you and then (through "subrogation") they'll seek reimbursement from the at-fault party's insurer.

If you don't have collision and comp, your insurer has no obligation to facilitate the repair or replacement of your vehicle in case of an accident, even if the other party is at fault.
right, I understand that without coll. and comp, my ins. won't pay for my car repair but I thought they'd at least 'fight' with the other ins. to get my car fixed. Actually, now I think about it, it's just the same difference.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
right, I understand that without coll. and comp, my ins. won't pay for my car repair but I thought they'd at least 'fight' with the other ins. to get my car fixed. Actually, now I think about it, it's just the same difference.
The reason they usually "fight" for you is subrogation -- getting reimbursed for what they paid out. But if you have no collision or comp policies with them, they won't pay anything out to you and thus no incentive to send their people and their lawyers after the other driver's insurer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

ER_Hopeful

Your close relative's insurance company is following normal procedures. They would only be involved if the accident was the fault of your close relative. That's why they call it "liability" insurance and your close relative has no liability in this case.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shouldn't this all be handled by the other party's insurance company? When we've been hit and it's not our fault I haven't even contacted our insurance, it's all handled through the insurance of the party at fault.

The last time DH was hit (minor damage) and I got a call from the other driver's insurance company within a few hours. DH hadn't even told me about it yet and I got a message on my phone from a car insurance company asking me for information on our car accident earlier in the day. Quite scary! He just needed basic info and then told me get an estimate and gave me a claim number. It was all very easy from there.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The last time DH was hit (minor damage) and I got a call from the other driver's insurance company within a few hours. DH hadn't even told me told me about it yet and I got a message on my phone from a car insurance company asking me for information on our car accident earlier in the day. Quite scary! He just needed basic info and then told me get an estimate and gave me a claim number. It was all very easy from there.
Ideally the OP's relative may have someone trustworthy available who also speaks decent English and could serve as an interpreter (if necessary) for dealing with the other driver's insurer.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #9

Try dealing with the other driver's insurance company. Sometimes (gasp!) they're even fair. But if they try to lowball him, and the amount of damage makes it worthwhile, it might be worth a couple hundred dollars to have an attorney write a nastygram to the insurance company.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

problem alot of times is stories change, suddenly the i was rear ended by your insured turns into you accidently put the car in reverse and hit them......

you stand a good chance of collecting from their company if both your stories match as to the events, i wouldnt even get your company involved ....

talk about stories changing we had an episode where a guy admitted he was at fault on the police report then changed his story..... we went to court and found out that police reports arent admissable as evidence... the judge said she couldnt even read it .....

if the officer didnt see the accident then you telling him it wasnt your fault carrys no more weight then telling him it was your fault....you talk , he writes....

since the accident report cant be cross examined as officers cant go to court for routine traffic accidents in most states the judge couldnt accept it..... live and learn