Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In Texas we have battrees...
I thought in Tex-ass you have battrees........
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
As mentioned above, Sam's seems to carry branded batteries while Walmart (like Sears) has house brands making it difficult to know what you're really getting.

Maybe this will help, I did a simple search and this came up, Walmart and Sam's club are the same, you'd need to ask Sam's Club for more info on their rebadged batteries:

The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - JCI, East Penn, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries (they bought out Delphi). Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries. A car battery is one of the few things that you will most likely have to replace if you own a car more than about 3 years. Most other parts and accessories will last longer, but the battery in a car needs replacing every 3 years or so. If you need to get a new battery installed, go to Goodyear, Sears, Firestone or Pep Boys. All these car stores carry large inventories and can install your battery onsite. Other retailers like Target, Kmart, and Walmart might offer cheaper prices for their batteries, but rarely do they install them.

Here's the link:

Best Car Battery - Car Battery Reviews - Buy Car Battery - Walmart
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My truck takes two 850 cca batteries. 5 1/2 years, 100k miles. Been doing some research, I'm going with Wal-Mart.

May not be the top-of the line, but there is always a store nearby.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently replaced my Sam's battery after nursing it along for about a year....seems I might have charged it a little too much that last time ~

Thanksgiving morning I was loading the car with our share of the Thanksgiving feast (headed to our inlaws) and decided to hook up the
commercial grade charger that I keep around for the old John Deere and this less than 4 year old battery that doesn't seem to want to pull its weight...

With the car loaded my DW and I had buckled in and were making small talk and I somewhat jokingly stated that we should be taking her
brand new ride (Bimmer) as we had family that wanted to see it....

With the turn of the key KAABLAMMMM!

"What was that?" DW exclaimed.....

"Blowed up Sir!" I said (from Bill Murray in Stripes)...

The battery exploded and while it came at an inopportune time, I was thankful that it did NOT happen while I was charging it....or unhooking
the charger!

I lifted the hood and washed down the area under the hood, transferred the food and off we went in DW's new ride....

So just a reminder to be careful when charging any battery!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Maybe this will help, I did a simple search and this came up, Walmart and Sam's club are the same, you'd need to ask Sam's Club for more info on their rebadged batteries:

The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - JCI, East Penn, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries (they bought out Delphi). Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries. A car battery is one of the few things that you will most likely have to replace if you own a car more than about 3 years. Most other parts and accessories will last longer, but the battery in a car needs replacing every 3 years or so. If you need to get a new battery installed, go to Goodyear, Sears, Firestone or Pep Boys. All these car stores carry large inventories and can install your battery onsite. Other retailers like Target, Kmart, and Walmart might offer cheaper prices for their batteries, but rarely do they install them.

Here's the link:

Best Car Battery - Car Battery Reviews - Buy Car Battery - Walmart
Hmmmm.... That's somewhere between interesting and confusing.......

BTW, in my posts above I misspoke when I said our local Sam's carried "International" brand batteries. I meant "Interstate." They also carry Optima.

I don't see in the information above that Walmart and Sam's batteries are the same as you state. Are you saying that the Interstate and Optima batteries on the shelf at Sam's are the same (except the label) as the Everstart models at Walmart?

Also, the article is wrong about installation. Sam's does install (at least at our store) and the shop is excellent. It's one of the reasons I go there.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #26

I didn't comment on Sam's Club, years ago, I looked at them, but backed away from buying one there. I know I read an article (not this one) that WalMart brand, Everstart, was made by Johnson Controls. I talked to a bunch of people at the company since I contracted there, they really stand behind their product quality.
Since WalMart owns Sam's, I'm assuming it's the same, that's why I suggested you need to ask Sam's Club to be sure.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Hmmmm.... That's somewhere between interesting and confusing.......

BTW, in my posts above I misspoke when I said our local Sam's carried "International" brand batteries. I meant "Interstate." They also carry Optima.

I don't see in the information above that Walmart and Sam's batteries are the same as you state. Are you saying that the Interstate and Optima batteries on the shelf at Sam's are the same (except the label) as the Everstart models at Walmart?

Also, the article is wrong about installation. Sam's does install (at least at our store) and the shop is excellent. It's one of the reasons I go there.
Optima is a totally different construction/technology for auto batteries. They are very expensive, very rugged and popular for extreme conditions (i.e. off-roading). I would not assume that because a company makes batteries under various brand names that the batteries are the same except for the label on the outside, so you pretty much have to go by the specs, the warranty, and the price
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

When a car battery has reached the 6 yrs old mark, you've already had your money's worth. I'd say either have that changed soon or when it konks out (yes it will if you keep it much longer) replace it then rather than trying to milk it out any longer.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #29

I bought an Interstate battery from Sams Club for my sedan last year...has been slow to crank since it got cold and one time it wouldn't start after the lights were on for <5 minutes with the engine off. Took it to Sams and they said it was bad after only 18 months. Fortunately I got a free exchange (after 18 months they prorate the warranty). Still, disappointed that it didn't even last 2 years.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #30

it is like just about everything in life - you get what you pay for. buy a 4 year battery then it is a very low end battery.

i strongly suspect i have the oldest functioning battery in the usa in my truck! i'd have to look at my maintenance book but iirc it was bought in the mid 90's maybe before that. i bought it at a local auto parts store. it was an 84 or 96 month battery. i can't recall the manufacturer. at the time i had an electric hydraulic snow plow with a good sized alternator on an off road truck so i told them i wanted a heavy duty truck battery. it wasn't cheap but it wasn't super expensive. again i have all the facts just too lazy to go check. that battery still started my truck in mid november, i have not started it since. also i only drive this truck 1 time per month putting about 200 miles a year on it so this battery sits for long periods of time and is used for about 15 miles per month which it starts the truck and the alternator recharges it. i seldom drive it in the winter, the truck is always garaged. the plow is long gone but i am amazed at the longevity of this battery. this spring i may have to buy another but i have thought that for several years!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
it is like just about everything in life - you get what you pay for. buy a 4 year battery then it is a very low end battery.
Or is a 6 year battery just the same 4 year battery with an 'insurance premium' added? I'd need some evidence that they make a real difference in the construction/materials. Maybe some brands do, but I suspect it's mostly marketing.

Now those Optima batteries really are in a different class. And you do pay for it, and it may be justified depending on the application.

The place I go for oil changes does a full load test on the battery. I was surprised that my OEM battery in the Volvo indicated it was going strong into the 6th winter, and it did fine. By the next year, I noticed a little slower cranking, and they said it showed a low reading. Of course, a battery can just die even after a good test, if something gives way inside.

I have heard of a few 'miracle' batteries lasting over ten years.

BTW, letting a battery go dead (below 10.2V) can really shorten the life (dome light left on overnight, etc).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
My Miata's original battery died last week after 10.5 years. The original is no longer available, so now I have a generic battery at half the cost.

And the other day, I had to replace the original rear brake pads, at 110,000 miles. Man, they don't make these things like they used to.
Before you install a normal battery, be aware of the following: All batteries produce dangerous gases. In most cars, the battery is located under the hood where it can escape to the outside. In the Miata, with the battery located in the trunk, there is no place for the gases from a normal battery to vent. On the factory battery, there is a rubber hose leading from the battery to the outside so that gas does not accumulate the trunk and explode. If you decide not to use a factory battery, you should consider using a container to enclose it that attaches to the factory vent hose. Failure to do so could possibly cause caustic gasses to rust the metal of the trunk, cause an explosion when exposed to heat, cause an explosion in an accident, or worse.
valsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
BTW, letting a battery go dead (below 10.2V) can really shorten the life (dome light left on overnight, etc).
+1

That is something many are not aware of. Just a few deep cycles to the 10.2V range of a conventional automotive battery can reduce the life substantially. And it's a good reason why anecdotal evidence about a brand or model might be flawed. You can easily shorten your battery's life by deep cycling it a few times.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Get one of the above - it is worth the extra money.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I've been looking at those, in the deep cycle configuration, to run my trolling motor. Batteries in the boat take a pounding and these are supposed to be able to handle the thumping and vibration. They're also rated for more charge/draw down cycles than conventional deep cycle wet cell or AGM batteries.

I usually don't buy tires or batteries at Sears because of their irritating hard sell and suggestions for getting other work done while you're in there. But these Optima batteries seem to be available at many retailers.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #36

Quote:

-ERD50
Around here, that would work at -40F but not at +50F
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or is a 6 year battery just the same 4 year battery with an 'insurance premium' added? I'd need some evidence that they make a real difference in the construction/materials. Maybe some brands do, but I suspect it's mostly marketing.

-ERD50
Typically, a longer warranty (within a given line) will have a higher CCA (cold cranking amps) rating, so in that case there is some tangible evidence. The other magor performance measue is reserve capacity.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I reliably get only 3-4 years in So Cal on batteries. My recent Kirkland (Costco) failed at 3 years (it was actually 2 yrs 11 mos), so I got a new one free! My original factory battery also failed just over 3 years.

Back when I was poor I'd try to nurse a battery along to be sure it was really dying. Nowadays I don't want to deal with an unreliable car; I change it at the first sign of weakness. I bring my tools and change it in the Costco lot, then return the old core. It takes about 10 minutes and I bring some paper towels to wipe off my hands when I'm done.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had good luck buying the cheapest battery available. Replaced the original battery on my previous vehicle at 8 yrs with a battery from Walmart, and it was still going strong when I sold the Toyota truck 8.5 yrs later. When I need to replace the OEM battery on my current Honda, will likely go the low price route as well.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
I've had good luck buying the cheapest battery available. Replaced the original battery on my previous vehicle at 8 yrs with a battery from Walmart, and it was still going strong when I sold the Toyota truck 8.5 yrs later. When I need to replace the OEM battery on my current Honda, will likely go the low price route as well.
That will work in a warm climate but, if you live where your life can literally depend on the condition of your car, don't do it. At 40 below zero you'd better have a good battery in your car.