Join Early Retirement Today

Car Dashboard Camera
Old 11-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Car Dashboard Camera

I'm thinking about getting my DH a car dashboard camera, and wondering if anyone has any product suggestions. I'd want something simple and easy to use, and not overly expensive.

It would be mostly just for our amusement. We live in an area where people leave their driving skills at home (Orlando, Fl) and have seen some pretty interesting stuff on the roads. No real concerns related to our safety, but I think my DH might find a dash-cam fun.

Any suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've bought and/or tested several dashcams. I prefer the small, "lipstick" shape cams that don't have a built-in screen. Instead, you use WiFi to connect to your phone and view videos there. I especially don't like suction-cup mount models as they protrude too much into the passenger space and the suction cup I find is not reliable.

Of the ones I have tried, the one I like the best (and am using for myself) is the Goluk T2. Very easy to use, very responsive and not expensive. You can pay less and get less. You can also pay more (and sometimes get less.)

I see you are in Florida, though. Dashcams can have issues when the car gets very hot inside. Those that use a "supercapacitor" to keep running for a minute or so after power is removed are more tolerant of high heat (140F or more) than those that use a battery (like the Goluk). If you run the dashcam only when the car is started, this won't be much of an issue. If you want to set it up to keep recording while parked - most of these have a parking mode that records motion only - I suggest also installing a Vico Power-Plus and set it to turn off when it senses high temps.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #3

I bought a Goluk for our RV just for fun. It's fine for that and easy to use. It's unplugged when we're parked.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bought some low cost ones for $25 , they are not what you want for amusing videos to look at later, as I notice the sharpness/clarity is not good enough to read licence plates unless you stop behind a car.
I'm keeping them for now as they would be useful in recording an actual accident.

Certainly a big issue in buying one, is there are many fakes/copies out there and many lie about the quality of the video.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Administrator

DD bought me this one last Christmas. Works very well, I have it fitted behind the driving mirror and set so the screen goes off 3 minutes after power on. I've had good fun with it. Costs about $40 but you need to buy a micro-SD card for it.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Wick...-FDBoCHHzw_wcB
Old 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't even know I wanted this, but now I do. What else you got?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I'm thinking about getting my DH a car dashboard camera, and wondering if anyone has any product suggestions. I'd want something simple and easy to use, and not overly expensive.

It would be mostly just for our amusement. We live in an area where people leave their driving skills at home (Orlando, Fl) and have seen some pretty interesting stuff on the roads. No real concerns related to our safety, but I think my DH might find a dash-cam fun.

Any suggestions?
I have a dash cam called the G1W. https://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/
I bought mine on Amazon.

As Sunset wrote, you won't be able to get much detail such as license plate number unless you are right behind the car. Still useful to see chain of events.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

There are a few apps that you can add to your smartphone and set up the phone on the dash. It will record 1-2-3 minutes of travel and then auto-erase unless you push a 'save' button (like if there's an accident). Free.
We Love Russia!
Old 11-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We Love Russia!

Judging from the selection available on a famous video website, the most entertaining dashcam videos come from Russia. Makes one wonder what it costs to get car insurance there.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

I belong to a European site and saw that Aldi will have this one on sale soon. Do not know if they will be selling it here. https://www.aldi.co.uk/dashboard-cam...74275095571400
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
There are a few apps that you can add to your smartphone and set up the phone on the dash. It will record 1-2-3 minutes of travel and then auto-erase unless you push a 'save' button (like if there's an accident). Free.
In an accident, even when you are not injured you may be shaken enough to forget about hitting that save button.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In an accident, even when you are not injured you may be shaken enough to forget about hitting that save button.
I agree, and you also have to remember to set up the phone to start recording each time you drive. The great thing about a dashcam is that it is "set and forget" - it always records and most of them will prevent erasure of recordings once some sort of "event" is sensed (collission, etc.) They also protect against corruption of the recording due to sudden loss of power.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
I agree, and you also have to remember to set up the phone to start recording each time you drive. The great thing about a dashcam is that it is "set and forget" - it always records and most of them will prevent erasure of recordings once some sort of "event" is sensed (collission, etc.) They also protect against corruption of the recording due to sudden loss of power.
Even the cheap G1W that I have has all these features. I also keep a spare micro-SD card in the car so that if a non-emergency happens such as a grizzly bear trying to cross the road then I can pull over within 30 minutes and switch out the card so that I can view the memorable incident again. The camera also records the audio in the car so we can hear one another talking on playback. "OMG, slow down there's a bear on the side of the road!!!"

In the case of an impact the camera saves the current file into a different folder on the memory card so that it is not over written.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a $39.95 HD dash cam that does a pretty good job of filming. It needs to be plugged into the cigarette lighter power point since the battery only lasts about 10 minutes on it's own. It does about 1.8MB clips and then writes them to the SD card so you get multiple clips for each use.

I'll see if I can upload a clip.
Attached Files
Old 11-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #15

Sounds like some good ideas and products, and I'm surprised how reasonable many are. We don't like to fuss with stuff so I am sure we want something that will be fairly automatic. I appreciate getting the specific product names so I can start to narrow down my choice. Thanks so much! Keep 'em coming.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Judging from the selection available on a famous video website, the most entertaining dashcam videos come from Russia. Makes one wonder what it costs to get car insurance there.
I recall when that meteor hit in Russia, there were so many dash cam videos of it. It was explained that drivers are crazy, and there are so many crooks who plan accidents and then try to sue you, that nearly everyone has a dash cam for their own protection.

I'm following this thread though, even though I limit my time on the road, this does seem like good insurance and /or a fun thing for not so much $.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I was driving along a 4 lane road, and just as I got to a side street where the cars were stopped at the stop sign, the first one pulls out 2 lanes in front of me. I slammed on the brakes but stopped after hitting him.
We talk, I take some photos, the cops come and find him at fault and charge him.
I think all is good.
Days later after I talk to my insurance, an insurance fellow phones me and wants me to tell the story again, which I do.
At the very end I tell the guy I have pictures of the accident would he like me to send them?
To my surprise, he says "You have pictures?, don't send them, we will be paying..."

At that point I realized he was the insurance for the "other" side, and the thought of photos had decided my situation quickly to him.

That is when I decided to get dash cams (front and back).
Old 11-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I think it is more the legal lawsuit system that is different and leaves people without "proof" susceptible to unfair results.

There are a lot of jump on the car hood and demand injury payment types of scams.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Canada is another country where insurance scams are popular, as are dashcams. In Germany you can't use dashcam recordings as evidence as you need permission of the people you video.

A dashcam helped me when a woman backed her van into my car a couple years ago - I sent my insurance company the video and her insurance paid promptly.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Canada is another country where insurance scams are popular, as are dashcams.
Really? I live in Canada and haven't heard of this. I mean, I've heard of the general concept but not that it was higher in Canada than elsewhere.

Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote