Join Early Retirement Today

Car Door Key
Old 04-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Car Door Key

I went ahead and finally got a door key for my car.

Nothing fancy, no remote, the key doesn't start the car, but opens the door in case I mistakenly lock myself out.

I must be old fashioned, as I was expecting to hand over my regular key to have the auto dealer make a copy from that, but instead, after showing my car title and driver's license (guilty until proven innocent ), the parts guy goes "I'll be back in a bit" then around 15 mins later, he brings out the key (I assume, laser cut, based of the VIN info).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door key.JPG (599.0 KB, 13 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

How much?

I used to carry a key like that in my wallet in case I locked myself out or lost my keys, but the bulky remotes/chips make this impractical.

Of course if it won't start the car, this only helps if you locked the keys inside, or keep a valet key in the car. And the newer keys seem to try to protect you and won't let you lock the car with the key inside. We learned that when we were taking DD to college, her spare key was in a suitcase in the car, and we couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't lock when we stopped for lunch (she figured it out).

I just try to be super careful and only lock the car with the key or remote in my hand. My remote is separate from my key, so I've got a little redundancy there by keeping them on separate chains.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Keys are getting more and more expensive. I remember back in late 2003, my Dad had bought a used '03 Regal that had been a rental. He wanted another key made. Because that key had a chip in it, it was something like $25, and we had to go to the dealer for it.

I thought that was bad at the time. But, in late 2012, I bought a leftover 2012 Ram, and as part of the deal, I got them to throw in an extra key fob, which they did. I asked how much those things cost to replace if one got lost, and the sales manager said something like $180 or so. OUCH!

Kinda makes me miss the old days, when you could just take your key to the hardware store and get a copy made for a buck or two.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The car door key, after tax came out to $17.27.

I too miss the old days just bringing a key to the hardware store and having a copy made. I suppose this method is safer from crooks, but more inconvenient.

After having the key made, a couple of questions came to mind:

1) Would a 3-D printer be able to make a copy just to open the door?

2) Would one still need to keep a spare in the car in case the battery with the remote entry dies? Given, the door key can't start the car.

I feel more secure with the door key as I'm afraid of accidently taking the regular key out of the ignition and placing that on my seat, then lock up and leave.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have one of those keys for a GMC truck. Even though it only opens the door, I have used it several times to get into the truck when key is locked inside.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

On my 96 Cadillac, it's not the key or the shape of the part that goes into the ignition lock, but it's the sensor that's built into the plastic head... When the key goes into the ignition, there are two sensor wires that sense the resistance in the chip.

The key to open the door, has no electronic connection.... just the shape.

I found out the hard way. the sensor wires inside the lock on the steering column either broke off or became bent, and there was no way to start the car. At the time, I had the car towed to the dealer for a $500 repair. Since then, I have found out that the two sensor wires end up at the base of the steering column in an electronc switch that enable the ignition. Getting a chip with the correct resistance, and shorting the switch solves the problem, but I didn't know that at the time. If you have a meter, you can find the resistance for the chip.

Turns out that this is a well known failure in certain models, although there has never been a recall.

And so we live and learn.... unfortunately usually after the fact.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Of course if it won't start the car, this only helps if you locked the keys inside, or keep a valet key in the car. And the newer keys seem to try to protect you and won't let you lock the car with the key inside. We learned that when we were taking DD to college, her spare key was in a suitcase in the car, and we couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't lock when we stopped for lunch (she figured it out).
My car is like that, but I discovered that with enough creativity you can still lock yourself out. I was camping a couple of years ago...and no comments about camping vs. what us old guys do...and I was blowing up my deluxe full size air mattress using the pump connected to the cigarette lighter in my car, which was running to keep the battery charged. It started raining a bit, so I reached through the open window where the cord was fed through, intending to roll up the window a bit to keep the inside dry. Somehow I managed to hit both the lock button and the window button. The window rolled up faster than I could reach back in and unlock the door. So I was stuck locked outside my car with the motor running. I won't go into the fun I had trying to get a cell signal and find someone who would drive 7 miles up a fire road between VA and WVa at 10 pm on a rainy Friday night to break into the car. Suffice it to say AAA was no help. An extra key like this would have been pretty sweet.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #8

I travel by car a lot, often very long distances away from home, and decided it was worth the risk of using one of those magnetic key boxes to store a spare key on the underside of my car. It's in a hard to reach non-visible location, have to reach my hand inside and feel around to locate it. The magnet is very strong, it takes a lot of effort for me to grab on and remove it. I also tape the box shut so it doesn't accidentally slide open from vibration. It's been several years, only had to use it once so far
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Also miss the days when I could go over to Woolworth's & get a key made. Used to hide my key in a hole in the frame under my '71 Corolla. Subsequent cars didn't have a similar hole so I used a safety pin to pin inside my shorts when I went surfing.

I also don't trust cars that can lock themselves! My Lexus key has a remote built in and is not easy to duplicate, even for experienced locksmiths; had one made so I could to get into the car. I leave my original key in the car.
ampeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
....Kinda makes me miss the old days, when you could just take your key to the hardware store and get a copy made for a buck or two.
That's one reason I really like my '06 Dodge Dakota pick-up. It uses a plain old key that can be cut at the hardware store! No chip. Not even the typical plastic grip. Door key, ignition key, glovebox key....all in one!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Most of the chip keys can be made in the local Ace or Home Depot these days too. They couldn't a couple of years ago when I needed one, but they can now. I've had one done and it worked fine.

Also, the keys to our 2002 Beetle were failing as far as the remote entry part goes. Not complaining about that, the batteries lasted over 12 years. But VW said they couldn't replace the battery, but would get us a new key for around $200. Gack! I got online and found a youtube video showing how to open it up and replace the 2032 3V battery. I tried it, took about 3 minutes, and works like a champ. No reprogramming needed or anything.
Car Door Key
Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Car Door Key

Watch out putting photos of keys in the Internet. There is a phone app to copy keys! Take a pic and they will mail it to you!
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Watch out putting photos of keys in the Internet. There is a phone app to copy keys! Take a pic and they will mail it to you!

Guess when I need another spare, I'll know who to call