Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
My wife's car, Acura RDX has an integrated GPS system with traffic and weather updates along with XM radio. She gets updates from the car on service needs and can even call the dealer for an appointment through handsfree Bluetooth built into the car. The car gives here maintenance reminders based on useage not just milage. A message screen pops up on the GPS screen telling here that there is a detected problem and offers to contact the dealer. The dealer can also run a diagnostic on the car via the phone link. It monitors tire pressure, oil changes, many engine components, has a rear view camera also integrated into the GPS screen etc. Over all it is a really cool car. You can manually up or down shift from a button on the steering wheel and the drive system controls al 4 wheels independently. It is truly 4 wheel independent drive.

The GPS system is upgradable with a DVD that goes into the GPS master control box. It updates the maps on the system. I usually skip years as it is a couple hundred buck a pop. I usually only update my car as it is the toad when we travel via RV so we are in unfamiliar territory with it far more than with her car.
We also have the RDX and love the car. We are big fans of the GPS, great for the RV as well as weekend travels and finding new restaurants.
However our 4 yr old Magellan 700 gps puts the RDX's system to shame. We were in British Columbia on the way to Whistler and the RDX system reported "No Information" about 50 miles outside Vancouver. With the Magellan we drove all over BC and into Alberta--usually far further North than 50 miles and always had routing. Guess if we want to take the RDX north we have to buy a Canada CD? Do you know??

We have found that you should be "very very" careful choosing the "shortest distance" option for routing. You can almost guarantee being sent down residential streets and hitting many stops signs and the distance may only be a tenth of a mile. But Hey shortest is shortest.

nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
I;m probably really going to like one of these gps units when some one buys me one but for now i'll stick with maps and tell myself that computers are already too prevalent in my life and i really dont need one to tell me where i need to go

"Second star to the right and straight on till morning"
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I;m probably really going to like one of these gps units when some one buys me one but for now i'll stick with maps and tell myself that computers are already too prevalent in my life and i really dont need one to tell me where i need to go
They are probably just a fad like CB radios and personal computers. jk
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got a Garmin NUVI 760 a couple weeks ago, worked well on our Route 66 trip from LA to Chicago with frequent detours. In town DW's iphone does as much as we need but the Garmin seems to get good signals everywhere. Since it also provides GPS coordinates it should work as well for us when we take the Jeep off road.

T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote