Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
As others mentioned, it depends on the kind of insurance you have.

If you only insure damage to others (the one that is legally required) the value of your car doesn't matter.
Maybe people on this board are pretty rich and self insured. For me, a 50K car that I use every day, I want comprehensive coverage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
does anyone here have amica insurance for home and auto? I was wondering how you like them. I am thinking of leaving state farm after 30 years because they raise rates annually, have changed deductible to percentage of insured property, have local agents but when you have a claim, the local agent is just a referral to an adjuster. drop coverages for different perils on a yearly basis, such as mold.
I have Amica and couldn't be happier. I dumped (FIRED) USAA to go with them...that should tell you something. I was with USAA around 15 years with no claims EVER and they kept raising the rates. When I went with Amica, the year long policy cost the same as 6 months with USAA. I have yet to have a claim, but all the interactions I've had with them have been grade A. Most of the rating firms put them on par with USAA.

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Maybe people on this board are pretty rich and self insured. For me, a 50K car that I use every day, I want comprehensive coverage.

Well, I am even a couple lengths further down the totem pole than you are, HillCountry. Including a purchase I will be making this week, I haven't bought $50,000 worth of cars in the past 20 years, and that is not even accounting for trade in values. While I could afford the monthly payment I guess, the sales tax, insurance, and annual property tax bill would force me to take Prozac.
I will shop my insurance on this one, but my monthly bill on existing one was about $23 so I doubt there will be much savings unless I can get a better home insurance rate which always seems to jump on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I have Amica and couldn't be happier. I dumped (FIRED) USAA to go with them...that should tell you something. I was with USAA around 15 years with no claims EVER and they kept raising the rates. When I went with Amica, the year long policy cost the same as 6 months with USAA. I have yet to have a claim, but all the interactions I've had with them have been grade A. Most of the rating firms put them on par with USAA.
Out of curiosity I went online and got a quote from Amica for our auto insurance. For the same coverage I'm getting from USAA Amica was $100 higher (annual cost). And that doesn't include the ~$400 annual Subscriber Savings refund I've been receiving or the ~$900 'Sr. Bonus' Subscriber Savings refund.

Never hurts to check...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Out of curiosity I went online and got a quote from Amica for our auto insurance. For the same coverage I'm getting from USAA Amica was $100 higher (annual cost). And that doesn't include the ~$400 annual Subscriber Savings refund I've been receiving or the ~$900 'Sr. Bonus' Subscriber Savings refund.

Never hurts to check...
If you bundle (home and auto) it's better to call since they don't show the discounts on line. Also, they send out dividend checks (basically refunds). Although not guaranteed, they average a 20-25 percent dividend a year depending on the policy. That will not be included in the quote (since not guaranteed). I'm sure not everyone will be underwritten the same, but for me Amica was a much better choice than the fleeing I got from USAA.

Speaking of that, I need to call USAA and get my ENTIRE SSA back since I haven't had any coverages with them in a few years.

Oh, one last thing on Amica...you need to have stellar credit, nothing on your drivers record..they are pretty picky on who they will insure..at least that's what I've heard.

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Oh, one last thing on Amica...you need to have stellar credit, nothing on your drivers record..they are pretty picky on who they will insure..at least that's what I've heard.
They can't be too picky - they gave ME a quote!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got a quote also and amica said they would call this coming week to talk about it. surprisingly their homeowners was cheaper than I get now, auto was higher for same coverage, umbrella was also higher. the car insurance is probably my fault because I have full coverage on both cars and my pickup.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
does anyone here have Amica insurance for home and auto? I was wondering how you like them. I am thinking of leaving state farm after 30 years because they raise rates annually, have changed deductible to percentage of insured property, have local agents but when you have a claim, the local agent is just a referral to an adjuster. drop coverages for different perils on a yearly basis, such as mold.
I have Amica for auto (Since 2009) and renters insurance (since 2012). I haven't had any claims to date but when I use their online chat, they are quick to respond and answer your questions.
Rates have gone up slightly during the years but the auto went down---probably since my car reached the 5 year mark.

They offer a 1% ? discount for paying auto in full before the due date and with renters insurance, they give a 15% dividend a month or 2 after the current policy expires...This could be state specific.
You can also pay by credit card without any additional fees---I do for the cash back on the credit card.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Related question: I was involved in a minor accident this past week. Collision with another car, no injuries, minor damage. Since I have a $1,000 deductible, I suspect I will be coughing that up upfront, but since the other driver should be found at fault, can I rely on my insurance co to recoup the deductible on my behalf as they claim they will, or should I be chasing the other driver's insurance co myself? I haven't been in this position before (knock wood) but maybe others can share their experience.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Related question: I was involved in a minor accident this past week. Collision with another car, no injuries, minor damage. Since I have a $1,000 deductible, I suspect I will be coughing that up upfront, but since the other driver should be found at fault, can I rely on my insurance co to recoup the deductible on my behalf as they claim they will, or should I be chasing the other driver's insurance co myself? I haven't been in this position before (knock wood) but maybe others can share their experience.

Unfortunately, the past 15 years, I have managed to back into a couple of midget cars I didn't see below my view lines which resulted in the other 2 cars having about $500 and $1000 damage. Neither of the 2 had to pay a cent upfront as my insurance covered it for them. I do not know if this procedure varies from carrier to carrier or even state to state though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This exact situation happened to me last year.
I had a bad experience many years ago trying to deal with another insurance company, so this time I just used my own and paid the $1K deductible (my repairs were about $1.6K).

My company went after the other guy's company for my deductible. It took six months, including going through arbitration between them, but I didn't have to be involved and I eventually got my whole $1K back. I don't know if all insurance companies would be that good about it, but mine was.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. Glad to hear your company chased the other. There really isn't anything in it for them other than customer goodwill.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My vehicle was damaged by another in a beachfront condo parking lot a few months back. Their insurance covered the minor repair (around $900) and rental car while it was being repaired. Of course, I had to track them down as no note was left. I found them from the paint left on my vehicle and "matching" damage on their rig, then called the local PD who ran their tag. Luckily they confessed right away and had their insurance company contact me. I did not even contact my insurance company. I also have a $1000 ded. so would have had to eat the repair or live with it.