Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Car Maintenance Question
Old 07-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(contributing to the off-topicness)

mikey,

*I'm going to pile on, too. *It is absolutely not the government's business to protect dumb people from themselves. *As TH says, though, the problem is that the nanny state nearly requires intrusion by the government.
I basically agree with what most of you guys say. I don't think the government should protect a person from himself. But, in real life as it is organized today, the vegetable on life support is going to cost all of us dearly. Galt himself has stated that his medical insurance is capped. If it were possible for someone to bindingly warrant that the hospital can throw him out onto the street when his money/coverage runs out, I say fine. It's not the way I would like things to be, but it would align some people's idea of personal freedom with other people's reasonable expectation not to be saddled with the expense of folly.

Libertarianism was a valid 19th century philosophy. But for the most part it has become intellectually vapid given the actual interlocking arrangements of modern life, that cannot be unilaterally renounced.

Mikey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Look at the other side of it as well.

I've paid out (as has been already documented) well into 5 figure sums in fines, legal fees and whatnot.

Not one person on the planet can claim that i've hurt them, damaged their property, or even left them with sincere bad feelings or a hangnail. Even my ex-girlfriends like me.

Yet we feel the need to continue idiot proofing the world by levying more and more nanny laws.

My answer is simple: when I #$%@ up, I should pay the cost. Dont put rules in place to try to prevent me from ^%$$#ing up, because it will not only not be effective, I dont want to pay for what I might have done. I'll gladly pay for what I did do though.

So while I wear a seatbelt and a helmet, and exercise due dilligence in many other areas, I dont want some bluesuit giving me a $400 ticket because I did something that in some parallel dimension could have resulted in something bad happening to me or someone else.

But its a double edged sword when you have people who will do things that will harm themselves or others, and either count on the safety net catching them (at other peoples cost), or dont consider the implications at all.

I do still think there is a merit to a law that would allow a judge to look over a preponderance of repetitive stupidity and decide that you shouldnt reproduce. I also like a lot the idea that you should be able to shoot someone once a year without any legal problems.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:09 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread is getting way-to-intense. Went from belts and hoses to guys feeling belted and hosed.

Quote:
When checking your belts and hoses
we hope that your effort exposes;
A leak? That is bad,
but not nearly as sad,
as the owner who has halitosis.
Hey John Galt, can you finish this one?

"There once was an E/R named Dave"

BUM
Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 AM   #44

I can resist anything but temptation..........

There once was an ER named Dave,
Who kept a big hoard in his cave.
When asked to explain
he replied with distain,
Wall Steet's a cadre of knaves.

John Galt

Old 07-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Not a judge in the land would convict...

Quote:
I also like a lot the idea that you should be able to shoot someone once a year without any legal problems.
Just one? And just once a year?! Where do we start?!? So many choices, so little time...

This idea will keep spouse & I in discussions for a long time. Although perhaps I shouldn't bring it up with her first?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well if you were allowed to shoot more than one a year, the population would become devastated almost overnight.

I'd have to hold out past the first 3-4 traffic based impulses to save my one shot for one of those folks at the supermarket who park their cart in the aisle and then stand next to it so nobody can get by.

Hmmm...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #47

And I'd start with the liberals, unclemick being an
exception of course

John Galt
Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #48

I've mellowed out a lot over the years, but still sometimes wish my car was equipped with a bazooka
to take out some cretin weaving in an out of traffic.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 07-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Yessss...I call that the "hood mounted rocket launcher".

I imagine it would be a very popular option. Would result in a lot of rocket dodging when changing lanes though. :-/
Old 07-17-2004, 07:15 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Driving a big 15 year old car that is a POS makes it easy to be a "positive vigilante" in traffic. Few folks crowd you. I had an old car that didn't smoke >>except<< when I stomped on the gas--then it positively billowed. It was useful for tailgaters.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

My old mercedes 300 turbodiesel was good for that as well. If I got a tailgater all it took was 3-4 good pumps of the "gas" to produce an effective naval smoke screen.

I miss that car and ogle any older ones I see on the road. Getting 25 MPG in a big smooth car was a good thing. The reliability of the new ones appears to have fallen to the bottom lately, which is unfortunate.

Apparently mercedes and bmw felt their QA after all these years was "baked in" to the people and processes so they made the QA processes part of their 'cost cutting'. Appears they were incorrect...some further baking was apparently called for.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #52

The older I get, the slower I seem to drive. Now, at 39, I am the guy with the hat that I used to compain about 15 years ago. I'm just not in a hurry anymore. I get my "rushes" elsewhere.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #53

Spent the weekend replacing my young niece's starter motor on her '97 Honda. I sent her to the library to check the Chilton's service manual. She was amazed that the information was readily available at the library. Here in our area, they stock a very nice collection of the Chilton's and Motor's series of repair manuals. These are in the reference section (i.e. cannot be checked out). They also have the Chilton series on-line which includes labor times for various repairs.

Hope this tip will save somebody the expense of buying a manual just to complete an occaisional repair. It's also handy to determine if you even want to attempt the repair yourself.

Jazz
Old 07-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Thats a good point. I had to replace a fuel pump in my bmw some years back. Instructions started with "remove drive shaft. remove exhaust system. drain and lower fuel tank". :P

I removed the back seat, cut a hole in the sheet metal over the pump, removed and replaced.

Much easier
Old 07-19-2004, 06:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Instructions started with "remove drive shaft. remove exhaust system. drain and lower fuel tank". :P
LOL, I remember those kinds of instructions: "Remove retaining bolts, if any. . ." and "If there is a shroud in the way, remove it". I got to prefering Hanes repair manuals, but they aren't perfect, either.

When working on cars it really, really helps to have alternate transportation available so you aren't in a rush to fix the car for an immediate transportation need.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40 PM   #56

I just changed the oil/filter on my car. The entire job took about an hour (including checking all filters, brakes, belts, and hoses.) The car has 80,000 miles and I've done all the maintenance myself (aside from a few trips to the local oil change place). It's been very easy, and inexpensive. I find that the dealer charges something like $300-$400 for scheduled maintenance when it's usually a very simple job (especially the 30,000 mile 'tune-up')

After 80K all the belts and hoses are still good, and the brakes even have some life left in them (they are orig.)

Another 10K and it's timing belt time. I'll need to decide whether or not I should do it myself.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #57

The first (and maybe the second) time I changed a serpentine belt it was a nightmare. After that it got easier. Take a wrench to the tension pulley; pull on it... the belt goes slack. Remove it . Replace new belt..

oops you said TIMING belt... fageddaboutit!

BUM
Old 07-31-2004, 02:06 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Depending on the car, timing belts can range from simple to a PITA. Give it a good day to do it though. It'll probably take you less, but start early so the auto parts stores are still open, just in case !! I've done several, even one on the side of the road. Just make sure either the motor doesn't move or you align the marks before you put the belt back on !!

-Pan-
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:19 AM   #59

Having watched "real" mechanics struggle with
timing belts, I always knew they were far beyond my "poor powers". Anyway, although as a kid I would tackle about anything, I soon discovered my talents
lie elsewhere (I will cover my talents later -
not enough room here). Now, I have reached the point where I refuse to even change a tire. Doesn't really
matter where the need arises, I just get on the phone and call someone.

John Galt
Old 07-31-2004, 11:57 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Heh heh, yeah, "Real Mechanics" I've known many thru the years. I worked at an auto parts store thru high school and college. At times, I had the mechanics calling me for advice. "Hey, panhead, how do I put a distributor back in a small block chevy when the engine has been turned with it out??" No kidding, it happened. I went to the garage and did it for him. Many more of those to tell about as well, and these really were "real" mechanics, and at the time I was just a smart ass kid.... Geez, now I'm just a smart-ass older kid, some things change, some things don't !
Tying this back into the original thread, if you don't do it yourself, be careful who you get. In general, the dealership mechanics are very good, they only work on one type of car, and need some certifications, but are very expensive. That being said, I've known regular "garage" mechanics that put the dealership mechanics to shame, but they can be hard to find unless you know someone, or what you are talking about.

-pan-

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote