Car rental in US for short visits from overseas

landover

Recycles dryer sheets
As some of you may remember that I moved back to my original country. Now my company is sending me for a short visit to the US and by the way they are not providing me with rental car. I think I will need car to visit friends.

I can rent a car, there are some good deals but I am not sure about insurance. I guess Visa will cover any loss to car, I will pay for any loss of use, paperwork etc. I am more concerned about liability, how is that covered. Where one can get it, is it like LDW, how much, are there any independent companies who can provide this insurance.

I think this issue confronts many of ERes who moved overseas to live with less money.

thanks

Every rentacar company in the US and Canada will offer to sell you insurance on a daily basis with your car. It may seem expensive, but for infrequent use it can be quite satisfactory. I have used it myself from time to time.

Personally, I would try to submit it all as an expense. How do they expect you to get around, anyway?

Priceline has good deals on rental cars. Check the fine print on your Visa. It is probably secondary coverage but if you don't have any primary coverage, it may default to it. See what the T&C is.

Call your Visa Card information number and get the specifics of your coverage.
I'm assuming that you don't have liability coverage in your home country? If you do, call them as well and ask about coverage for a rental car.
My visa issuer told me I was covered, including liability, for renting a car anywhere in the world but Jamaica and Israel. Something to ponder...until you've been to Jamaica and seen how they drive!
Enjoy your visit!

Thanks for all the information, I will call my VISA card bank. I will also find out how much (if any) liability coverage comes free with rental. In some states, state minimum is required, I am renting in MD.

As far as not providing car, hotel shuttle will take me to a hotel, take me to office, hotel room has small kitchen in it. For eating out, groceries etc, there is shared car between 5 people. Man you are here to work cheaply and just work, why should we spend any more than necessary.

Back
Top Bottom