Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Exactly. If he can't pay it now he won't by next week either. Unless perhaps you have a large cousin named "Guido"....
Actually, I do have a large cousin named Guido, but she's mainly morbidly obese and kind of funny-looking. Sorta' looks like Tweedledum or Tweedledee--I get the two mixed up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Source was my insurance agent when I was rear ended by another driver who had insurance. I went through the at fault driver's insurance without a hitch. Also, if you go through your own insurance, you are subject to your deductible. If you go through the other insurance, you have no deductible to pay.

Insurance companies ding you if they pay a claim for you, it's as simple as that. They don't care that it wasn't your fault.
Interesting. I've had a very different experience. We've been rear-ended several times, and I've only ever called our own insurance company. I've never contacted the other person's insurance company. And since rear-endings are never your fault, I've always had my deductible refunded, and our premiums did not change.

The only sketchy situation I've ever had with my insurance company had to do with the windshield. It developed a crack at the base that worked its way up into the driver's sightline. We had it replaced and made a claim. $300 deductible, but no premium increase. A year later, took a rock to the windshield on the highway, had it repaired at no cost, but they informed us the were canceling our "glass" coverage. A few years later they reinstated it, but I was annoyed that we were being penalized for something that was in no way our fault. I guess there are people out there running elaborate schemes to defraud insurance companies out of free windshields

Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 I always call my insurer... even when I am not at fault.... they work it out with the other car's insurer.... that's part of what I pay them for.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I always call my insurer... even when I am not at fault.... they work it out with the other car's insurer.... that's part of what I pay them for.
Yep, that's what we ended up doing: calling our insurer and having them call the other guy's insurer. However, the other guy's insurer will be calling us on Monday or Tuesday. So, I don't know how much, if anything, has been worked out.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Y However, the other guy's insurer will be calling us on Monday or Tuesday. So, I don't know how much, if anything, has been worked out.
This seems strange to me. It has been a while since we have had to file a claim, but when it involved another driver who was at fault, we always went through our insurer, who handled everything with the other insurer. In fact, our insurer always advised us not to talk directly with the other insurer. They even would work on getting the other insurer to cover any deductible we had to pay.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
<snip>
Whoa. Turns out the GEICO just called Farmers and they can't "locate" the Other Driver's insurance policy. GEICO will follow up on this a bit more.

Whoops. GEICO is calling again.
Whoa (again). GEICO called back and Other Driver's Farmer policy has been located. Farmers will be calling S.O. on Monday or Tuesday.
Hold on a minute!
Farmers Insurance just called. While Farmers did indeed locate the Other Driver's policy, it has lapsed (or, something like that). So, Farmers is calling GEICO and GEICO will handle it.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #27

Since it turns out the other guy didn't have insurance, our company, GEICO, paid for all repairs and waived the $500 deductible. I do not know if GEICO will raise the auto policy rates. We should know in about six months.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Since it turns out the other guy didn't have insurance, our company, GEICO, paid for all repairs and waived the $500 deductible. I do not know if GEICO will raise the auto policy rates. We should know in about six months.
Hopefully your insurance will not be raised.

Although almost all states require auto insurance, there is a sizable population that does not have it. My insurance agent said it was nearly 30%, I have seen a study from 2003 that it was closer to 15%.

Quote:
an estimated 10.8 percent of Minnesotans drive without insurance, compared to a national estimated average of 12.5 percent
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/new...tionReport.pdf

I see background checks all the time of people that have been cited for not having auto insurance. There really is no penalty. They get a fine, which often goes unpaid. And then their drivers license suspended, but they continue to drive.

We now have to provide an insurance policy to get license tabs renewed. I suspect it will be easier to verify whether or not propel have insurance, but will not stop it.

When you have nothing to insure, you do not need insurance.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Here in the Valley (border) uninsured driver is rampant. I carry a hefty uninsured/underinsured driver policy.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

It sounds like the other guy got away without paying a cent for his negligence. I hope Geico pursues the at-fault driver for damages, but I suspect they'll just leave it as the cost of doing business. While you eventually will get your car repaired at no additional cost, would it have been different if you had insisted on calling the police for an accident report at the scene of the accident? Would the other driver have been issued a citation and fine for being uninsured?

So many dishonest drivers out there.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I think the end result is that the responsible people pay for these "dishonest drivers" via our uninsured motorists premiums.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I see background checks all the time of people that have been cited for not having auto insurance. There really is no penalty. They get a fine, which often goes unpaid. And then their drivers license suspended, but they continue to drive.
I suppose it depends on the state. In MD the car is impounded and the tags returned to MVA. The owner then has to pay for new tags and show proof of insurance to get them, then pay for the tow and storage fees. That meant they were without a car for at least a day or two, plus being out the other expenses. If the car was being driven with tags not issued to it that is a separate (and expensive!) violation.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I suppose it depends on the state. In MD the car is impounded and the tags returned to MVA. The owner then has to pay for new tags and show proof of insurance to get them, then pay for the tow and storage fees. That meant they were without a car for at least a day or two, plus being out the other expenses. If the car was being driven with tags not issued to it that is a separate (and expensive!) violation.
That's not much to discourage folks with marginal finances from letting the policy lapse once they have their registration issued. I'm in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #34

Always call the cops. Always insist that the other driver be cited, assuming of course that it was the other driver's fault. Always take pictures; of the scene, of the damage, of the other license plate, and if offered, the other's driver's license. Never move the cars until the cops show up.

if there are witnesses to corroborate your position, ask for their contact information.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
That's not much to discourage folks with marginal finances from letting the policy lapse once they have their registration issued. I'm in MD.
You're right of course, but that's about all that is practical to do unless one advocates criminalizing the violation so they could be sentenced to jail time. I see zero chance of that happening.

It's a problem in WV too according to my insurance agent.