Car side-swiped and insurance issues

<snip>
Whoa. Turns out the GEICO just called Farmers and they can't "locate" the Other Driver's insurance policy. GEICO will follow up on this a bit more.

Whoops. GEICO is calling again.
Whoa (again). GEICO called back and Other Driver's Farmer policy has been located. Farmers will be calling S.O. on Monday or Tuesday.

Hold on a minute!
Farmers Insurance just called. While Farmers did indeed locate the Other Driver's policy, it has lapsed (or, something like that). So, Farmers is calling GEICO and GEICO will handle it.

Since it turns out the other guy didn't have insurance, our company, GEICO, paid for all repairs and waived the $500 deductible. I do not know if GEICO will raise the auto policy rates. We should know in about six months.

Since it turns out the other guy didn't have insurance, our company, GEICO, paid for all repairs and waived the $500 deductible. I do not know if GEICO will raise the auto policy rates. We should know in about six months.

Hopefully your insurance will not be raised.

Although almost all states require auto insurance, there is a sizable population that does not have it. My insurance agent said it was nearly 30%, I have seen a study from 2003 that it was closer to 15%.

an estimated 10.8 percent of Minnesotans drive without insurance, compared to a national estimated average of 12.5 percent
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/news/Documents/TaskForce-MVInsuranceCoverageVerificationReport.pdf

I see background checks all the time of people that have been cited for not having auto insurance. There really is no penalty. They get a fine, which often goes unpaid. And then their drivers license suspended, but they continue to drive.

We now have to provide an insurance policy to get license tabs renewed. I suspect it will be easier to verify whether or not propel have insurance, but will not stop it.

When you have nothing to insure, you do not need insurance.

Here in the Valley (border) uninsured driver is rampant. I carry a hefty uninsured/underinsured driver policy.

It sounds like the other guy got away without paying a cent for his negligence. I hope Geico pursues the at-fault driver for damages, but I suspect they'll just leave it as the cost of doing business. While you eventually will get your car repaired at no additional cost, would it have been different if you had insisted on calling the police for an accident report at the scene of the accident? Would the other driver have been issued a citation and fine for being uninsured?

So many dishonest drivers out there.

I think the end result is that the responsible people pay for these "dishonest drivers" via our uninsured motorists premiums.

I see background checks all the time of people that have been cited for not having auto insurance. There really is no penalty. They get a fine, which often goes unpaid. And then their drivers license suspended, but they continue to drive.

I suppose it depends on the state. In MD the car is impounded and the tags returned to MVA. The owner then has to pay for new tags and show proof of insurance to get them, then pay for the tow and storage fees. That meant they were without a car for at least a day or two, plus being out the other expenses. If the car was being driven with tags not issued to it that is a separate (and expensive!) violation.

I suppose it depends on the state. In MD the car is impounded and the tags returned to MVA. The owner then has to pay for new tags and show proof of insurance to get them, then pay for the tow and storage fees. That meant they were without a car for at least a day or two, plus being out the other expenses. If the car was being driven with tags not issued to it that is a separate (and expensive!) violation.

That's not much to discourage folks with marginal finances from letting the policy lapse once they have their registration issued. I'm in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Always call the cops. Always insist that the other driver be cited, assuming of course that it was the other driver's fault. Always take pictures; of the scene, of the damage, of the other license plate, and if offered, the other's driver's license. Never move the cars until the cops show up.

if there are witnesses to corroborate your position, ask for their contact information.

That's not much to discourage folks with marginal finances from letting the policy lapse once they have their registration issued. I'm in MD.

You're right of course, but that's about all that is practical to do unless one advocates criminalizing the violation so they could be sentenced to jail time. I see zero chance of that happening.

It's a problem in WV too according to my insurance agent.

Back
Top Bottom