Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mother Teresa lived among the poor and I would be surprised to learn she was making the equivalent of $100,000 during her time. Same for many other "true" missionaries.

Yes I have seen some missionaries preaching the word of God while behaving in ways that Jesus would despise. Of course I have nothing against the entire group, which has many members doing fine work.

Have a good day ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have been to places so poor in the Andes that some malnourished "toddlers" were just learning to walk- they had such poor muscular and nervous development that they could not yet walk. Catholic nuns, some local, and some from international missionary orders were running orphanages, feeding these children back into life, and doing their best to care for them. They also ran schools and clinics.

An older cousin of mine was a Maryknoll nun in China when the nationalists fell to Mao's army. She got out, dressed as a male peasant. She spent her entire life serving as a hospital administrator in Asia. Growing up I met many fine Filipino doctors and nurses who got scholarships to continue training here in the US. Due to family wealth, this cousin would have been living a very comfortable upper middle class life back in the US.

I also had a college friend who was born to missionary parents in Asia. After her junior year she went to Africa for the summer with a mission. She contracted amebiasis which led to an amebic liver cyst and her death from a rupture due to no diagnosis pre-mortem.

Remember Dr. Schweitzer of Lamberene? How about Mother Teresa?

You may have seen some missionaries behaving in ways that you didn't approve of, but there are very many doing very important work and giving their lives to it. Kind of strange to have one who aspires to quitting working criticize a group which has many members who do little other than work, and for the benefit of others who are not even of their own culture.

So while there may be missionaries who are not serving, there are a very large number who give their lives to very arduous service far from their homes.

In a way, the US is a beneficiary of mission work from Africa, as more and more Catholic priest are Africans. Catholic priest sdo not get rich.

Ha

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #22

Ha, thanks for pointing out the obvious, that evidence of one lazy missionary does not paint the work of the many as not worthwhile.

I would need to receive pretty substantial hazard pay to work in many of these places, regardless of who was paying my way. That's just the facts.

Having only seen a handful of the missionaries behaving in this manner, I think the OP wasn't attempting to malign the entire universe of missionary work, but rather the small sample size he personally interviewed.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yes I have seen some missionaries preaching the word of God while behaving in ways that Jesus would despise.
I believe that they will have some uncomfortable questions to answer at some future date. As long as it is not my money I'm not the one to judge them.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

OP ( a she, BTW ) has spent more than her fair share of time in really scary places for free..... She was volunteering ( even paid her own airfare ) to go "work" in an orphanage in this country where she had a 5-gallon bucket for a bath and she also contracted head lice for her trouble and she did it because she believed what she was doing might make some small difference.

Perhaps naively she believes that those who are missionaries should be doing it from the heart, not for a big paycheck. MOST IMPORTANTLY - She believes that missionaries should live not too far above the standards of those they are trying to help...... But perhaps she is simply lost to the realities of the world.

Final thoughts: I have honestly met many great people out there doing wonderful things for the sake of their fellow man. I hope that I continue to run into more of them as times goes on.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yes I have seen some missionaries preaching the word of God while behaving in ways that Jesus would despise. Of course I have nothing against the entire group, which has many members doing fine work.

Have a good day ha
And I have seen some women hanging out on street corners in short skirts with blond wigs and a whole lot of makeup. Of course I have nothing against the entire group of women, which has many members doing fine work.

As for what Jesus would feel about it, I think despise is an unlikely emotion for him, considering his treatment of supposed sinners as recorded in the bible.

However, judging from your certainly about his attitudes toward the missionaries that you briefly observed, I have little doubt that you must feel that you are in direct communication with him, and thus you know well enough what his attitudes would be to feel that you can confidently speak for him.

Ha
Old 10-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #26

Ha - You keep misrepresenting or misunderstanding what I wrote above. You keep talking about me, how I feel, the profession I am in or who I speak for. There is no point whatsoever in trying to discuss. There will be no more posting from me under this thread. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have little doubt that you must feel that you are in direct communication with him, and thus you know well enough what his attitudes would be to feel that you can safely speak for him.

Ha
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Perhaps naively she believes that those who are missionaries should be doing it from the heart, not for a big paycheck. MOST IMPORTANTLY - She believes that missionaries should live not too far above the standards of those they are trying to help...... But perhaps she is simply lost to the realities of the world.
Yes, of course, I do think that people who are working to help the poor or the less fortunate or whatever term you want to use ought not to be wasting money that was donated or raised for the purpose of helping.

At the same time, though, I have difficulty with the idea that if someone wants to do good that this somehow justifies the person not being paid a wage commensurate with their education, abilities and work.

In addition to my law degree I have a master's degree in social work. When I got out of school the salaries paid to starting MSWs was about half the salary paid to a beginning teacher (with a BA).

The justification for paying a salary that was almost poverty level for a family was the comparison of the social worker to their clients.

In a way, that seems almost perverse. To be able to "do good" and help the less fortunate, you not only have to have that training and desire but you have to agree that you somehow deserve to live at low wages way below that others with even lesser education. If you wanted to do nothing to help society and were utterly selfish ...it would be fine for you to make a large salary. But if you want to help others, somehow that also means you need to be personally poor and while it is fine for others to do nothing for others (and it is great for them to make a large salary) if you try to do something for others, well, then you are greedy if you want to make even an average salary. That just never made much sense to me.