Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Re: Civil engineer. It might be good for the future, but it is not good now. The governments have no money for infrastructure. And real estate developers are suffering, so land development is also in the dumps. It's a double whammy of lost projects from both the public and private sectors.

How do I know this? I am married to a civil engineer. Many of her colleagues have lost their jobs and their firms have gone bankrupt.

There is work for them up here in Canadistan. I believe there is still a shortage of good civil engineers and civil/structural engineers in Alberta. Managing and designing tailings ponds is good right now. Every new plant needs ponds. Every new plant and expansion needs piperacks and structures and roads and graded sites. Pipelines are also being built.

An engineer can get a work permit up here as a NAFTA engineer, typically through an agency, which is good as they can set up the northern equivalent of per diem ("LOA", or Living Out Allowance) and also supply liability insurance. Of course, they can also find you work.

Check out

(Glad to be working somewhere)

my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

An interesting career path in public health is in emergency management. A two-year master's in public health at an accredited university with a concentration track in emergency management / preparedness landed two of my grad school cohort very lucrative and very exciting private-sector jobs.

"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
IMHO, there are several ways to look at this. One is choosing a field or job i.e. law enforcement or engineering. The other is choosing a set of skills, language, management. If I were going to enter the work force 4 years from now, I would want to be fluent in Spanish. No matter what field you choose I think this one skill will be one of the most valued. Next, would be the ability to work with older people. (baby boomers getting old) Next, Management skills and knowledge. The best jobs (pay wise) seem to be held by people with a technical skill with management skills and knowledge. i.e job experience in computer with a MBA.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
One area I'm familiar with is the electric utility industry. Some crafts are facing 25%+ losses over the next 5 years due to the aging work force. Many of these positions are attained by apprenticeship training programs. No degree required, although a degree certainly helps your chances during the selection process. Depending on the area of the country, even entry level positions can pay $40k per year. Power system dispatchers can earn in excess of $100k per year. It's also about as recession-proof as you can get. And it's not the type of work that can be outsourced overseas.
I concur 100%. I work for one of the largest, and I do believe I have solid job security, as does everyone at my company. Therehave been no layoffs to date, which is an painful irony to me personally, because 5 years ago when we had a downsizing and they gave a REALLY nice packages for those who volunteered, I didn't take one, and made a mental note to "wait for the next round"). Well somehow Murphy has reared his head and there are no layoffs. Further, I suspect if there are any coming, they won't come with those cushy packages.

But I digress. I have routed all my friends and family to job openings at my utility over the last 4 years (many thought I was pushy and whacked, but I could see a recession coming), and I managed to get 2 of them hired. And they are still employed here, making GOOD MONEY (but I make a LOT more than them HEE). Sadly, my son didn't take my job hounding bait, got himself hired elsewhere, and just got laid off after 2 years. Now I can't help him; we are going into year 2 of a hiring freeze. My wages are embarrassingly grand. I count my blessings. And it makes it reeeally really tough to commit to a FIRE timetable (it was actually 2010 up until 2 week ago; now it's "I don't effing know up from down anymore and can't trust my wealth-o-meters"), with all the crap others near and dear to me are enduring....

queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote