carfax on a used car.

vvsonikvv

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, I've always been on the prowl for a car. I've been passively looking in cars.com, autotrader.com, craigslist, etc.

I found a nice 2000 Solara SE V6 stick shift 87k miles for $5700. Black on black leather, alloy wheels. The seller is a dealer so I dont know the history of the car. It's in decent shape, I need to get a mechanic to look at it mechanically. It has some chipped paint on the front bumper and a little rust and chipped paint on the door edge where you close it. Nothing a little sanding and touch up paint cant fix.

Anyway, I bought a carfax report for 30 days. If anyone needs help researching a car, lemme know I'll put a carfax for you.

The solara feels smooth but I'm not sure of the clutch. When I step on the clutch from second gear, i get a "catch" jump, like I didn't step on the clutch all the way and it caught something... similar to if you clutch in and the engine isn't the right rpms.

Oh yeah, I wonder if I should buy the car. I dont "need" it, but I'd like it. I have an older 4dr 94 Integra with 123k miles stick shift. Sometimes I feel my "image" is hurt with the older car. And thus my career might not go as far. Then again, the solara isn't a new flashy car either. It's another economical car.

I love my 2000 Solara SE. Mine is only a 4-cylinder, though.

That price seems awfully low as a dealer price, given that it is a 6-cylinder, and also he has to take his cut out of it. I think you should have your mechanic go over it just to make sure there's nothing wrong with it, and also to assess the problem with the clutch.

I have a 1999 Solara with 69000 miles on it and a lot of extras moonroof ,upgraded sound ,cd player , automatic transmision,etc. and the book value is only $5600 according to Kelley blue book . I love the car so I'll probably just drive it until it drops or give it to my daughter for a second car .

I have a 1999 Solara with 69000 miles on it and a lot of extras moonroof ,upgraded sound ,cd player , automatic transmision,etc. and the book value is only $5600 according to Kelley blue book . I love the car so I'll probably just drive it until it drops or give it to my daughter for a second car .

I just checked Kelley bluebook on a 2000 Solara SE with 87,000 miles on it and a V-6 and manual transmission, and it came out $8620. That was the price for buying it at a dealer, not for selling it privately or whatever. New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site . It might not be a bad idea to have his mechanic check it over.

Last edited:
Mine still comes in at $5600 not sure what the difference is ?

Probably different input. Where it gives you the choice of three prices, are you looking at "Suggested Retail Value"? Did you put in V-6, 2000 SE, and manual transmission?

Edited to add: Oh, I know! If you put "trade-in value", that is probably what the original owner got from the dealer, not the price the dealer would sell it for. Could that be it?

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel my "image" is hurt with the older car. And thus my career might not go as far.
If that's true then my image is dead and my career is going backwards...

Oh, wait, I saved enough money on used cars over the years that I didn't have to worry about image or career.

Hmm!!! I didn't notice that line about image. I like my 2000 Solara, but I didn't realize that it conveys a slick image. After all, I DID just get a promotion last year (probably because of my cool car).

Next time I get into it, I'll have to flick my hair back just so and flash a cool, sassy smile... :D

Then I'll remember it's over 7 years old!!!:(

Hmm!!! I didn't notice that line about image. I like my 2000 Solara, but I didn't realize that it conveys a slick image. After all, I DID just get a promotion last year (probably because of my cool car).

Next time I get into it, I'll have to flick my hair back just so and flash a cool, sassy smile... :D

Then I'll remember it's over 7 years old!!!:(

Haha...
Not to the extent that, if your agent comes to visit you in a beater, will you be as impressed to have him/her work for you? Well, I'm in consulting and I feel everyone here judges and it's all about perception. So when I give someone a ride they might think that I must not be "good enough" to be paid "good enough" since I don't drive a "good enough" car... then they'll treat me differently. Also, my car may be typical of a youngster's car in HS or college. I am also young, and I have been treated non positively due to my age. So my "youngster" car does not help with that.

Want2Retire, ahhh. I remember someone here always touted about their Solara. That was you! It is a slick car! :cool:

If that's true then my image is dead and my career is going backwards...

Oh, wait, I saved enough money on used cars over the years that I didn't have to worry about image or career.

You're right. I think you've chosen a good path. hah... Not that I said I was buying a new 335i or something. Now that's a different story. I do really like the e46 BMW 3 series. I can find some decent ones around $12k. I just wanted to upgrade a little higher to a 2000 Solara. Sorta of a in-betweener.

Don't put too much faith in Carfax. You can have a car that's been wrecked show a clean Carfax report. Nothing beats a full inspection from a quality mechanic.

I'll give two personal examples. I got t-boned at an intersection in my Subaru. It was low speed thankfully and they were able to repair the car (though it was never the same). The police were called and an accident report was written up. I sold that car about a year later and it still showed a clean Carfax report with no accidents.

I went to buy a used VW Passat and ran a Carfax which came back clean. For piece of mind before I bought it, I took the car to the local VW garage. Mechanic found the front end was replaced with non-OEM parts (hood, bumper, etc) and had other signs of past front end damage.

So I wouldn't waste money on Carfax, spend it at reputable mechanic for a good once over.

Bought and sold this past Fall myself. Was told by several people, including a used car lot owner I know, that Carfax can tell you if you are getting a bad vehicle but not that your getting a good one. I ran the truck I was buying anyway and found it useful in knowing what part of the country it spent most of it's life.

I bought way below NADA/KelleyBlue estimates and sold my old truck way below (both ended up close to the wholesale price that one of them had as an option). The NADA/KB numbers seem to be inflated from reality for many cars. It gives the dealers something to wave at you.

Oh and the truck was fine and I'm happy with it.

Jeb

I think Edmunds is closer to reality on used car prices: Used vehicles, used car prices, used car values at Edmunds

Plug in your own zip code, but in my zip the values are $5922 dealer, $5074 private party, $4279 trade-in.

Yes, Edmunds gives a dealer price that while several hundred dollars higher than the asking price in this example, does happen to be almost $3K lower than the bluebook value.

I think the price (either price) is a red flag to have a mechanic look it over, not to mention the strange clutch behavior. I think it would be negligent not to. YMMV

Another thing is to think about whether or not you REALLY want a super-cool 2000 Solara, or if you want an even cooler BMW or whatever. It might be worth the wait. How about one of those gas guzzlers that are going for a song? Maybe a Lincoln Towncar would be cheap these days if they still guzzle gas.

Last edited:
I use edmunds pricing for all my standard pricing to base against. With 87k miles, 2000 solara, se v6, leather seats, in clean condition, 20852 zip code, I get.
Trade in - $5232, Private party - $6175, Dealer - $7130

The guy selling is doesn't have a "dealership" himself. I think he works with someone who has a dealer license. He goes to the dealer auctions and gets the car. So he doesnt have any historical knowledge of the car.

The mechanic will look at it for $50. I just hope nothing "bad" is with the car. Regular items that are worn are ok. But I don't want to put tooo much into the car. I assume it will need Timing Belt at this stage. Hopefully the clutch is still good. I'm just not used to a Toyota clutch, or it could be worn. The mechanic should know more than me.

Another thing is to think about whether or not you REALLY want a super-cool 2000 Solara, or if you want an even cooler BMW or whatever. It might be worth the wait. How about one of those gas guzzlers that are going for a song? Maybe a Lincoln Towncar would be cheap these days if they still guzzle gas.

It's not "super cool". It's just more reliable and more modern. (I think it's cool though). Camrys have good ratings, right? Good reliability, easy to get parts. I dont think it gets bad gas mileage either.

I didn't see a smiley after the BMW... So I guess there was no sarcasm? I'm looking for an "upgraded" car. Doesn't have to be the best car. It does need to be reliable, not under powered, and not too expensive. At this price, this car, and v6, that seems to be it. As long as it checks out mechanically. If not, then I'll just wait.

It's not "super cool". It's just more reliable and more modern. (I think it's cool though). Camrys have good ratings, right? Good reliability, easy to get parts. I dont think it gets bad gas mileage either.

My Solara is the 4 cylinder, but it gets better gas mileage than it's supposed to (believe it or not). 30 mpg is not unusual, and when I tried to conserve gas driving back from Alabama after Katrina (when gas was scarce), I got 36 mpg. Camrys have great reliability ratings, and mine has never broken. Once I thought the power windows weren't working, but later I found out that it was a child lock that I accidently activated.

I didn't see a smiley after the BMW... So I guess there was no sarcasm?

Just an error - - I got mixed up on what you had said. Oops!

I'm looking for an "upgraded" car. Doesn't have to be the best car. It does need to be reliable, not under powered, and not too expensive. At this price, this car, and v6, that seems to be it. As long as it checks out mechanically. If not, then I'll just wait.

That sounds like exactly what you want and need. :D

After all this prowling about Edmunds.com and Kelley Bluebook, I'm starting to daydream about trading my car in on my retirement Solara. I'd love to get a brand new one just like this one, but with a SUNROOF!!! (ah!) I happen to really like sunroofs a whole lot, though I wouldn't go as far as a convertible.

I bought my son the exact same age and make of Solara about 2 years ago. I checked every conceivable thing I could. I paid something like $8,700 total for it, and his car had a little over 100,000 miles on it.
The price is waaaay too low on that car, and it would make me triple check everything out on it. If it smells funny and is too good a deal, it usually is funny. Just my opinion after over 30 years in sales.
And, believe me, I am all for a great deal...but this is just too good a deal not to triple check out.

Here is the info I posted when someone else wrote about buying a used car. Note it is the same car you are looking at. I hope this helps some (ours turned out great considering):

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/buying-used-car-flooded-31066.html#post573963

Last edited:
Not to the extent that, if your agent comes to visit you in a beater, will you be as impressed to have him/her work for you? Well, I'm in consulting and I feel everyone here judges and it's all about perception. So when I give someone a ride they might think that I must not be "good enough" to be paid "good enough" since I don't drive a "good enough" car... then they'll treat me differently. Also, my car may be typical of a youngster's car in HS or college. I am also young, and I have been treated non positively due to my age. So my "youngster" car does not help with that.
Last thing I want to see is someone living large off my largesse. You've heard the question "Gee, where are the customer's yachts?"

A neighbor lives a very frugal life and owns a carpet-cleaning business. He does his own house carpentry, overhauls diesel engines for fun, rides a Hog, and is so blue-collar that he thinks Jeff Foxworthy is uppity. During his mid-life crisis (he's in his high 50s) he indulged in a testosterone-drippin' Lotus Triumph. He told me that he was driving it one day when he got a call from a potential restaurant customer for a daily cleaning contract. He rolled up to the curb in the Triumph, right in front of the customer, and could see by the guy's facial expression that he'd just lost the bid. Now when he gets those calls he screams home and jumps into his crappy second-hand van to impress the customers with the high-powered home-built extraction system that he's installed.

Of course in your business everyone judges-- they're consultants. Is their judgment relevant to boosting your finances or your ER plans? Because it seems to me that you're letting their judgment have an adverse effect on both. But that's just my impression from your posts.

Perhaps if any of your bosses gave a crap about your image reflecting positively on the company then you'd be driving a hot chick-magnet company car. Or if they were embarrassed to be seen in your car then they'd give you a ride in theirs instead of using up your gas & mileage.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard a youngster say to me "Gee, sir, my car is a lot better than yours. Surely with all those big officer bucks you can afford to buy a REAL car, nyuck nyuck!" To which I'd reply: "Well, lieutenant, I'd like to think that my car reflects my inner values instead of my net worth. Besides I bought that sucker used and paid for it with savings when I was still an ensign. It costs a couple hundred a year in repairs and gets 35 mpg. Say, what's your car payment these days? Is it out of the shop yet? Can I give you a ride?"

You see your car as a sign of what-- "immaturity"? "Youthful inexperience"? Perhaps it's a good conversation-starter to point out the beneficial effect that it has on your present cash flow and the future value of your assets. That's the type of financial analysis I'd look for in a consultant of any age. I'd be even more impressed in seeing that wisdom, maturity, and spin-doctoring from a young consultant.

But I've never had a real job, so good luck with whatever approach you feel is most likely to succeed.

We learned to purchase used cars from the original owner after purchasing a used car from the type of guy you are describing. Now living in a small town, we also have done well purchasing from a local dealer who has been in business many years and has a reputation to protect to continue doing repeat business.

The guy you would be purchasing from loses nothing by screwing you. He is not a business with a reputation to protect and because he is not the original owner, he can easily state he has no info on the car (even if he does).

We use Carfax to see how many times a car has changed hands and if, in fact, the car is being sold by the original owner if we are purchasing privately. If you see a change of ownership after 6-9 months, you've really got to wonder what is going on. I agree with another poster that said Carfax can't tell you it's a good car but it can throw up flags about it possibly being a bad car.

I would think twice about buying from this guy no matter what your mechanic said. Too many red flags. Have you already run the VIN? Many for sale ads have the VIN right in the ad.

I'm not sure that there are too many red flags. The major ones I see are the lower price. It's priced at private party value instead of super high dealer markup, and I noticed a difference in the clutch. I'm no mechanic, but if the mechanic says it's good. I'd take his word.

Anyway... Based on a lot of the posts here, and some thinking on my end, I've decided not to go with the car.

I'll keep my car, save myself around $7k in cars, inspections, tuneup etc, and just keep saving and investing.

I should do well with my image as it is.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a great car though! So all you people who have a solara, enjoy it!

I'm not sure that there are too many red flags. The major ones I see are the lower price. It's priced at private party value instead of super high dealer markup, and I noticed a difference in the clutch. I'm no mechanic, but if the mechanic says it's good. I'd take his word.

Anyway... Based on a lot of the posts here, and some thinking on my end, I've decided not to go with the car.

I'll keep my car, save myself around $7k in cars, inspections, tuneup etc, and just keep saving and investing.

I should do well with my image as it is.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a great car though! So all you people who have a solara, enjoy it!

Thanks. Actually, I have been enjoying mine a lot more than usual, due to this thread. :D

Back
Top Bottom