Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
can't wear them on the golf course...js
But we could wear those plaid polyester golf slacks favored by "We tote the note" used car salesmen? I'm not sure golf course rules can be used as a failsafe guide to fashion.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wear them and love them. Where else to keep my thin wallet. DW must be glad I'm wearing something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 08-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Wore cargo shorts at Pebble Beach a month ago - even went into the clubhouse without getting kicked out
Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

"Grownups don't wear short pants, shorts are for children" was impressed upon me. Guess it reflects an era. If people want to wear shorts, that's fine by me, I rarely notice or care, especially on guys, in fact I had to look up what cargo shorts are.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But we could wear those plaid polyester golf slacks favored by "We tote the note" used car salesmen? I'm not sure golf course rules can be used as a failsafe guide to fashion.
Guy on the left is rocking it. Guy on the right is the groundskeeper. (Yes, I'm rocking it lol - those are all wool golf slacks btw)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caddyshack.jpg (69.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wore cargo shorts at Pebble Beach a month ago - even went into the clubhouse without getting kicked out
How did that happen? I guess the $500 green fee keeps the riff raff out
Old 08-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:
How did that happen? I guess the $500 green fee keeps the riff raff out
Pebble Beach is in a gated community - and on the "17 mile drive" just south of Monterey. We paid the $10 tour fee at the gate, and drove the 17 mile drive, stopping at the golf course. I took some photos of the 18th green, toured the clubhouse (including the restroom with real towels) and then left. Nobody said a word to me, but I was significantly underdressed.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But we could wear those plaid polyester golf slacks favored by "We tote the note" used car salesmen?
Knew a guy, about 45 years back, worked as a used car salesman for a while, and bought, (for next to nothing.....understandably), an entire 'wardrobe' of similar, (and eye hurting) attire; mismatched jackets shirts and pants, (not that anything could match any of it).................his rationale was that his 'clientele' in the used car biz wanted to feel they were smarter than, and superior to, the hick salesman.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wear shorts - gym trunks, cargo shorts, denim shorts, and the occasional Dockers shorts - eight or nine months a year. Mostly jeans the rest of the year. Don't care what anyone thinks about it. Sent the wives/GFs to Goodwill, kept the cargo shorts.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #30

I tend to agree with the no-denim cargo shorts.... I can't imagine those looking ok. Perhaps because I've never seen them.

DH wears cargo shorts year round... Some are tan colored, some are olive drab colored.
I tend to wear cargo capri's.... so I can't complain since I also sport pockets on my thighs.

What is the issue with cargo shorts? I think they're fine.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #31

I wear what works for me, away from work, and rarely give a rat's ass about what others think. Could be cargo shorts, could be jean shorts, jeans with rips and tears and grease stains, grease stained T-shirt or Dickies type work shirt. It fits my task and being I am not trying to impress anyone, I don't really care what others think. Being a car guy, most of my hobby work involves getting dirty and greasy, so most of my home work clothes reflect this.

I also live in more casual southwest, with more heat. So we are far from the big city fashion. Needless to say I will *never* be confused with a metrosexual. I do have some nicer shorts that I will wear if going out, incl cargo shorts which are very convenient as mentioned for storing stuff in the pockets.

For work environment I do have better clothes I wear. I started my career as engr wearing ties, now very seldom only for a big mtg with high level out of town visitors.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not for me
Old 08-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #33

When I retired, I went to Walmart and got 2 pairs of jeans shorts. Then I went to Dollar General and bought 2 ball hats @ $3.50, an Alabama T shirt and an Auburn T shirt.

Except on Sunday, that's essentially my retiree wardrobe.

Back when I wore cargo shorts, I stuck to Sportif Stretch Shorts. I could stick a beer in each pocket (with the stretch material) for when we went hiking in the mountains.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #34

For some reason I haven't worn shorts of any kind since about 1964. Not that I have anything against them, but the circumstances where I'm comfortable in them are rare so I just don't think about buying any. Mostly I'm in jeans and a pullover shirt (with collar and a pocket) if going outside.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For some reason I haven't worn shorts of any kind since about 1964.
I'm with you, Walt. Jeans in cool weather, cargo pants the other 8-9 months of the year.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally something important to discuss. Women love men who wear pack mule pants & shorts. Women are notorious for wearing pocket less attire. I end up with their stuff in my pockets. Phones wallets keys & other micellaneous items. I charge by the pound.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think DH owns any but he does have travel pants with invisible-ish pockets in the seams. He has a nice behind so I like his pants to show it off . Cargo pants don't usually do that, at least the men I notice wearing them.

Not sure about the younger men in my family but I tend to doubt it--they wear full-length jeans or long workout shorts.

I would definitely wear cargo pants if I were a guy but since I can carry a purse, usually no need to put anything in my pockets except my hands. Being the invisible age I am, I could wear big old baggy overalls and no one would notice or care.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

EVERY day ! Including winter. ( all 4 days of it). Along with t-shirts and ,for dress up, nice fishing shirts.
Need room for my carry Ruger LCP .380 and a spare mag.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Sent the wives/GFs to Goodwill, kept the cargo shorts.
What sort of tax deduction do you get for donating your wife to Goodwill? Is it more or less than for a GF?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #40

Quote:
I know some private golf courses don't allow them but there are very few public/resort courses in the US where you can't wear cargo shorts. I wear cargo shorts all the time.