Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I wear my cargo shorts, the babes swoop on me. So I have to be in the mood to deal with that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

While we are critiquing other people's pants, what is with the ladies who wear bell bottom capri pants that only come to mid-shin?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
o
When the world is running out of women, I might wear what they want me to.

Ha
+1 If I was dating this would be a litmus test - don't try to fix me and I won't try to fix you. Just drop off the key, Lee...
Old 08-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
While we are critiquing other people's pants, what is with the ladies who wear bell bottom capri pants that only come to mid-shin?
It's a signal of some kind. Do you hear ringing?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #65

There's nothing wrong with cargo pants/shorts for men or women. It's what people put in them. Just like any other pieces of clothing, you overload the pockets and it's not a good look. There are also people that don't realize they outgrew those cargo shorts (or other piece of clothing) 2 or 3 seasons ago.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband has great legs and he can wear any da*n shorts he he wants. He can carry the keys and my chap stick in the pockets when we go out too.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #67

I think they are very ugly and ghetto. Didn't they start about 10 years ago? 15? They were a young person's attire for about 5 years, then old folks started showing up wearing them, looking ridiculous and sad, IMHO. But then my gf bought me a pair, and since I am cheap, I wear them, and I don't feel ridiculous and sad, only because all the other old folks are also wearing them, and I just blend in with the crowd.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Tactical shorts? Yep, I wear them when I'm storm the local bar. Terrorists everywhere, you know...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Nothing against cargo shorts but I don't wear them. But on a recent vacation to Maui I wore cargo shorts quite a bit. At least I think they were cargo shorts. Needed those pockets for the wallet and such.

Generally when I want to get cooler I just use sandals. Still cooler, I go to my running shorts (a few inches above knee) or short running shorts.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

So, you're saying you don't but you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Nothing against cargo shorts but I don't wear them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
But on a recent vacation to Maui I wore cargo shorts quite a bit.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You see lots of folks with cracked cell phone glass, because they stick in the rear pocket of jeans and then sit on it. Cargo pants/shorts solve that problem.
or scratched from ending up in the same pocket as the keys. Comb, pen, notepad, coins, phone, wallet, keys, hanky, water or liquid, sun block. Yes cargo pants can be filled. I like the zip-off legs.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #72
Administrator

I have a couple of additional comments.

1. Honestly I have never once seen or heard of any friends, relatives, or even acquaintances having a cracked cell phone glass for any reason whatsoever. Not even one, ever, much less "lots". I must live in an alternate universe.

2. Guys really need a solution to this problem! I can't imagine life without a purse, and so many guys will not carry one because they think it's effeminate. Still, backpacks are masculine, right? It is beyond me why they won't carry a small backpack or fanny pack to contain all those necessary items. I know that some require their wives to carry such stuff for them, but you'd think that would get tiresome for both.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #73

Costco cargo shorts for me all the way. The only problem is that a size 32 is really 38.

If it's a little colder, I'll wear the synthetic travel pants you can find at REI with the extra cargo pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
2. Guys really need a solution to this problem! I can't imagine life without a purse, and so many guys will not carry one because they think it's effeminate. Still, backpacks are masculine, right? It is beyond me why they won't carry a small backpack or fanny pack to contain all those necessary items. I know that some require their wives to carry such stuff for them, but you'd think that would get tiresome for both.
At one point I got a backpack for my dog (to tire her out) and I was thinking of getting her to carry a bunch of my stuff. But she got older and developed knee problems so that killed the plan.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Talk about your first world concerns....

Mr. A has long,well-formed legs and I don't care what kind of shorts he wears, so long as they aren't dirty or full of paint stains. He has one pair of cargo shorts. No complaints.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps they would like to wear shorts for the coolness factor, but are not confident about their knees (everyone's knees start wrinkling like an old Teddy bear's at some point).

At least they are not wearing tell-all leggings/yoga pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #76

No cargo shorts. Don't like the feel of the bulk around the knees even when pockets are empty.

Shorts when it's summer but don't keep much in pockets. Instead carry a fanny pack to carry large phone and wallet. Actually put the fanny pack on when doing a lot of walking, which is usually on trips when I'm also carrying photo gear.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Honestly I have never once seen or heard of any friends, relatives, or even acquaintances having a cracked cell phone glass for any reason whatsoever. Not even one, ever, much less "lots". I must live in an alternate universe
Where I live, it would be impossible to enter a room full of people under 30 where at least 5-10% of them don't have cracked phone screens. Extremely common.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So, you're saying you don't but you do?
In my defense I thought they were bermuda shorts when in Hawaii. Now after this thread they might just be cargo pants. I had very few things in the lower compartments of the pants.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have a few small backpacks and for a messenger bag too. The later is really a purse (it is a Pacsafe model) but it's canvas colored and kind of masculine looking. In the reviews on Amazon some ladies even referred to it as a purse but it was not marketed that way and uses male models.

Actually I find that the messenger bag hurt my back a bit. We were in Europe when I used it and maybe with water and all it was a little heavy. But I did not have decades of purse-weight-training under my belt.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #80

Quote:
I have a couple of additional comments.

1. Honestly I have never once seen or heard of any friends, relatives, or even acquaintances having a cracked cell phone glass for any reason whatsoever. Not even one, ever, much less "lots". I must live in an alternate universe.

I have seen lots of cracked cell phone glass, it's mostly young folks, I know some that pay $10 insurance per month so when they crack it , it can be fixed/replaced.
One girl has replaced her phone 3 times in about 5 years due to cracked glass.
What I don't understand is the ones who continue to use the phone with the cracked glass, why don't they cut their fingers on the cracks ??

I'll wear cargo shorts/pants long before wearing a fanny pack.