Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Without extra pockets where would I put the epi pen, pepper spray, sunglasses, cell phone, roll of poop bags, pocket knife, tactical tissues, etc.?

W2r, when I see a fanny pack (and that is the polite name for them) on a dude I usually assume there is a decent size handgun in it. Most men would not otherwise be caught dead with one.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
W2r, when I see a fanny pack (and that is the polite name for them) on a dude I usually assume there is a decent size handgun in it. Most men would not otherwise be caught dead with one.
When I was working that was the ONLY reason I ever wore a fanny pack. The only thing in it was a 9mm Beretta. And that was only when I was in school because I didn't want to leave the weapon in the car.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I have a few small backpacks and for a messenger bag too. The later is really a purse (it is a Pacsafe model) but it's canvas colored and kind of masculine looking. In the reviews on Amazon some ladies even referred to it as a purse but it was not marketed that way and uses male models.

Actually I find that the messenger bag hurt my back a bit. We were in Europe when I used it and maybe with water and all it was a little heavy. But I did not have decades of purse-weight-training under my belt.
We picked this one up at an Army & Navy Surplus outfit, and took it on a couple trips:

(Apologies for the fanny pack .....our passports are in there.....otherwise I never wear one.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I was working that was the ONLY reason I ever wore a fanny pack. The only thing in it was a 9mm Beretta. And that was only when I was in school because I didn't want to leave the weapon in the car.

Only time I use one is when I am hiking and want to lug a full size revolver discreetly.
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Without extra pockets where would I put the epi pen, pepper spray, sunglasses, cell phone, roll of poop bags, pocket knife, tactical tissues, etc.?

In Europe I have not seen fanny packs which are not considered good form.

On the hiking trail one might work but I prefer a backpack.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In this country. A female cow*rkers was an expat in the UK. As she learned after asking folks if they wanted to check out her new fanny pack, fanny denotes a different body part there.

I agree, I'd assume that he was packing.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I carry a slightly smaller version of this bag in black. It, too, was marketed to men, as the best stuff generally is.

I
Quote:
I have a few small backpacks and for a messenger bag too. The later is really a purse (it is a Pacsafe model) but it's canvas colored and kind of masculine looking. In the reviews on Amazon some ladies even referred to it as a purse but it was not marketed that way and uses male models.

Actually I find that the messenger bag hurt my back a bit. We were in Europe when I used it and maybe with water and all it was a little heavy. But I did not have decades of purse-weight-training under my belt.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

You people carry around way too much stuff.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
You people carry around way too much stuff.
A true sign of wealth is to not carry anything not even keys.

I guess I intrinsically feel poor
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
A true sign of wealth is to not carry anything not even keys.

I guess I intrinsically feel poor
when I go to the club in my golf cart all I carry is my phone - money is pretty useless there
Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #91
Gone but not forgotten

Cargo shorts are too tiring... Important as one ages. Except for cultural mores, would probably wear a skirt or kilt. 'Specially when it's warm.
Anyway, only difference between regular shorts and cargo shorts, is that instead of butt dialing, you thigh dial.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Cargo shorts are too tiring... Important as one ages.
Two extra pockets on your shorts are tiring?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #93
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Two extra pockets on your shorts are tiring?
Hmmm... maybe it's just age, but when I ride my bike for any distance, the longer leg on the pants rubbing against the knees and all that extra material is irritating. For any kind of exercise, I much prefer short shorts.
Two extra pockets for what?
Anyway, based on what I saw in the Olympic opening ceremony, have decided that my biking costume will be short shorts, and a shirtless, well oiled upper body. Let style trump tradition.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Quote:
OMG, I had NO idea that anybody would carry something like that in their fanny pack.

Well, nobody can say this forum isn't educational....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have 3 pockets right front.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #96

Quote:
Hmmm... maybe it's just age, but when I ride my bike for any distance, the longer leg on the pants rubbing against the knees and all that extra material is irritating. For any kind of exercise, I much prefer short shorts.
I would never wear cargo shorts for exercise either (except maybe hiking), that's not what most people buy them for. Cargo shorts do come in different lengths, I like the 10" inseam, just above the knee.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OMG, I had NO idea that anybody would carry something like that in their fanny pack.

Well, nobody can say this forum isn't educational....
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #98
Gone but not forgotten

Yes or No?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guys-cargo-pants-2.jpg (106.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #99

Quote:
Yes or No?
No

This is my idea of cargo shorts.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #100

Quote:
Yes or No?
Yes, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Actually, I like the term 5.11 shorts better, way more mocho.

5.11 Tactical Shorts - Men's, Cotton | Official 5.11 Site
Small world - I went to dinner with a friend I hadn't seen in 10 years this week... She works for 5.11 and was dressed head to toe in their gear - even her purse was a concealed carry purse. (no fanny pack for her).

Quote:

I have a much smaller version of this bag that I use as a purse (when I wear a purse)... It's about 10 years old and holding up nicely. I love the anti-theft features. But I often just carry my license & CC and car keys.... That's where the cargo style capri's come in.