Join Early Retirement Today

Cargo shorts - Yes or No?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cargo shorts - Yes or No?

It seems that a recent story in the WSJ has ignited a furious discussion regarding cargo shorts.

Probably behind a paywall:

Nice Cargo Shorts! You’re Sleeping on the Sofa - WSJ

In short (pun intended) most women do like them on their man. Here are some quotes about various couples having problems over cargo shorts:

Quote:
15 pairs of cargo shorts have slowly disappeared from his closet. On the occasions when he has confronted his wife about the missing shorts, she will either admit to throwing them away or deflect confrontation by saying things like, “Honey, you just need a little help.”
Quote:
she sneaks her husband’s cargo shorts off to Goodwill when he’s not around. Mrs. Hansen, 30, no longer throws them out at home because her husband has found them in the trash and fished them out.
Quote:
she used to tease her husband gently about his fashion choices, until he made a purchase that crossed the line: denim cargo shorts. That was “just too far,” she said.
Quote:
disputes the idea that he tries to wear cargo shorts only when she’s not around. “I wish that were the truth,” she said. “If he was only wearing them when I could not look at him, that would be perfect.”
The repercussions from this article are so severe that the author is taking a lot of heat:

Quote:
‘Hi. I just sent a link to my boyfriend of your article about cargo shorts, and he immediately got very angry. I sent it to him because I thought it was funny, but he took offense that men are being sincerely judged for wearing cargo shorts. Can you clear up for us if you wrote this article to be humorous? Or was it a sincere piece about cargo shorts?
I fear he will push back with wearing even more cargo shorts and being even more proud about it. What have I done?’

So, forget about pesky minor issues like the Presidential election, withdrawal rates and the high cost of housing and take a stand on cargo shorts.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Is this a pole?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Is this a pole?
I don't do poles. Just a forum for your well thought out, educated opinions.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't do poles. Just a forum for your well thought out, educated opinions.
Oh, well in that case I think they are ghetto
Old 08-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't do poles.
Do you do germans or czechs?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Do you do germans or czechs?
he's not in the hill country
Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, one of the most discussed and hotly contested stories they have published this year is the cargo shorts story.

Quote:
Since the story published on The Wall Street Journal’s website Monday afternoon, it has devoured all the attention that was previously fixated on the election. The story has dominated the Journal’s web traffic for most of the week. NPR weighed in. So did Cosmopolitan.
Folks, the wrong stand on cargo shorts could doom a presidential candidate more than dishonesty, dissing veterans, building walls and rigging conventions.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As long as they are clean, neat and do not have holes, what's the problem? Except, of course, the marriage problem where one spouse is secretly discarding the other spouse's clothing.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I wear cargo shorts almost every day. Mostly jean shorts. Probably have 6 pair. Just got a new pair of Carhartt "work" cargo shorts for dressy occasions. Great for holding keys,wallet, camera, phone.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I know that Frank wears tan shorts every day, but honestly I couldn't tell you if they are cargo shorts or not. I don't care what kind of shorts he wears, as long as he is comfortable and happy. He is.

As for me, I also wear shorts every day but I wear Adidas gym shorts, not cargo shorts. I like gym shorts because they are loose, stretchy, and cool in the heat.

I think that basically Frank and I are at the stage in life where we value comfort more than fashion.

PS - - I don't do poles, either, but here's a photo of someone who does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (63.9 KB, 39 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I like them, and my only problem with them is making sure I get everything out of all the pockets/nooks before they go through the wash.

Fashion--harrumph. What kind of sheep decide that something looked good last year but no longer looks good today, just because "designers" decide they want to create demand for a new look.

And I like the WSJ, but their "style" section is a riot. "Here's an understated Yves St Lagreaugx back to school backpack for your young scholar, in mauve and taupe with contrasting pleated plackets. $459 at Berninilucci's." I'm sure its the same with the NYT or other big metro papers.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't carry a purse, and most of my shirts don't have pockets, so my cargo shirts are where I carry my wallet, phone and keys. Add in the comfort, and that's why I have about 5 pairs of Cargo Pants.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I wear cargo shorts almost every day. Mostly jean shorts. Probably have 6 pair. Just got a new pair of Carhartt "work" cargo shorts for dressy occasions. Great for holding keys,wallet, camera, phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I don't carry a purse, and most of my shirts don't have pockets, so my cargo shirts are where I carry my wallet, phone and keys. Add in the comfort, and that's why I have about 5 pairs of Cargo Pants.
That would definitely be handy for guys! I put that stuff in my purse, but most guys don't carry purses so they *need* cargo shorts (or something?).

My shorts don't even have pockets but I don't care. Here's what my shorts look like (on a model, not me):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (12.0 KB, 41 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Especially when travelling, I often wear detachable cargo pants that can be converted to shorts if the weather is conducive.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That would definitely be handy for guys! I put that stuff in my purse, but most guys don't carry purses so they *need* cargo shorts (or something?).

My shorts don't even have pockets but I don't care.
we wear these with nice shorts or slacks (not ghetto cargo shorts)

Old 08-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have worn cargo pants or shorts most of my life. In about 7th grade I started more or less exclusively wearing army surplus. Where else but an Army-Navy store would a young fella pick up a tank spotting scope with his socks shirts and pants? Olive drab cargo pants called fatigues were de rigeur in my group, and very handy to boot.

Back then, no self respecting male in my area would have worn shorts of any kind, and anyway these were not sold at Army-Navy Surplus stores. During the 80s I took to the big shorts style, which remains my summer go-to today, all with those great cargo pockets. Although I often walk around today with a light pack on my back, nevertheless my cargo shorts or Carhartt cargo pants carry my reading glasses, floss, pocket knife, phone and much other stuff. My girlfriend isn't crazy about them, but then I would prefer her to wear short shorts or yoga pants and tight tops most of the time and she doesn't accommodate this request, so why should I get too enthusiastic about her idea that I not wear cargo shorts?

When the world is running out of women, I might wear what they want me to.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have some cargo shorts. Girlfriend hasn't had negative reactions.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cargo shorts for me and when I w*rked it was cargo pants.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Read a joke that has stuck with me for a while.

Why do I wear cargo shorts?
Because I carry a lot of cargo!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

can't wear them on the golf course...js