Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1ST- 1955 Chevy- High school senior

Favorite- Austin Healy 3000- Brand new 2LT in the army

Best Deal- 2005 Toyota Camry- good for ER vote

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

1st car - 1957 Ford Monarch, bought it in 1967 for $500, dog off the line but could top out ~120 mpg range, half sister to the tank, should have kept it and restored it, the girls loved it :-/

1968 Ford Torino 2 dr HT, 302V8, worst car ever, highly unstable, definitely Fix Or Repair Daily

1974 Toyota Celica, 5 speed, great fun car, loved it buy a bit underpowered, drove it through 1985

1974 Ford LTD, for family, another Fix Or Repair Daily, slow learner and last FORD

1979 Olds 98, 400V8 4 bbl, classy, luxury, reliable and wonderful but thirsty, made me sad to sell it to go ex-pat to USA

1986 Nissan Maxima, 5 speed, great fun car, reliable, sad to sell it for another US ex-pat assignment

1988 Nissan Pulsar, fun car with T tops off and very reliable, great for running around DC, underpowered

1991 Dodge Caravan ES, loaded V6, wife still in love with it for carting art around, had about 10 recalls but otherwise pretty reliable for Detroit built - Chrysler never made money on this one

1993 Pontiac Grand AM GT, poor man's version of sporty, reasonably reliable and flashy but wouldn't buy another one, son still drives this one

2000 Infiniti I30, our current luxury car, love this one, never spent a cent on it other than oil changes

Retirement: not there yet, but either Lexus 300 series or Infiniti 35 series or Acura PLUS a compact Japanese SUV for mountain fun in Rockies of Alberta.

AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

From 1988 through 2001 I owned, drove and occassionally "remodelled" -

Mini 1275GT - Great fun - built with an permanent oil leak and no brakes!
Volkswagen Golf 2.0 GTI - fantastic drive and very reliable
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI - Scary. A skateboard on steroids - expired after "disagreement" with a concrete bridge abutment.
Vauxhall (GM) Astra 2.0 GTE 16v - beautiful 16v Twin OH Cam engine, great fun to drive but rot-box body work.
Audi Quattro Coupe - without doubt the best car I've had. Fantastically expensive for spares and repairs though. Wish I had kept this car in storage as it turned into a classic.
BMW 325i - fast and reliable but like driving on four pieces of soap around corners - done more pirouettes than Mikhail Baryshnikov in that car - not as expensive as one would have thought to maintain.
Mitsubishi Lancer - reliable, economical, utterly boring.
Jeep Cherokee - Company provided this car for field work - hated it.
BMW 735i - as the 325 but bigger. Very comfortable.

For the past 3 and half years we have not had a car (Are we the only family in the world with a net worth approaching US$1.5 million that doesn't own a car?)

Living in a large city with fantastic public transport we don't miss a car and have no plans to go back to car ownership in the near to medium future. I will, however, get myself a hobby car, once certain other financial goals are achieved. Would love either a Porsche 911 or Ferrari 328, but would settle for a Lancia Delta Integrale. This particular hobby may be a few years away though.

Gotta run, my bus is coming!

50% Down in NW and Can't Stop Smiling!!
SDY888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gotta run, my bus is coming!
Although, I still have my 92 Camry which I should have sold last spring as I bearily used it. Could have saved me over $1k on insurance. I commute to work mostly by bicycle except on rain/snow days, or if the temp goes below 25 degrees. I do some limited shopping with it as well.

The bike commuting keeps my adrenalin high and me very healthy, as long as I don't get hit by a car. :-/

I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote