Cars , Cars and more Cars for the car guys

I really don't see a big difference in the sub compacts. Most manufacturers offer a 3 year 36K mile warranty lots of people trade cars after a couple years so the warranty works out . Most things on cars break after the warranty has expired . This is why people buy the off line warranties .

Mitsubishi offers 10 years or 100,000 miles on the powertrain.
Mitsubishi offers 5 years or 50,000 miles bumper to bumper
Roadside Assistance 5 years unlimited miles .
This is on a 13500.00 subcompact . Does Honda or Toyota offer that ?

I just want a car to run from the country to the city now and then and run the back country roads for some groceries to take place of our motorcycles.

My brother in Ohio owns an old Eclipse with over 250,000 miles
These cars do not have the flash , the dash or the marketing like others .
but are they a good car . In their class I don't see a great car all pretty much the same.

dealer network is what gives me pause.

Mitsubishi dealers are few & far between.

if you're not happy with the dealer you buy it from, well, you're likely stuck with them anyway.

i've seen some really awesome dsm cars (for those of you who don't know dsm is an acronym for diamond star motors aka mitsubishi) but they are mostly high end ones, like EVOs or 3000gt VR4s

from what i've heard they are really reliable; however, i'm not so sure about the lower end models

My 2004 Colorado with 220,000 miles suits me fine. My 1984 Blazer I junked at 445,000, and the odometer cable was broke a year before, back in '03.

My 2004 Colorado with 220,000 miles suits me fine. My 1984 Blazer I junked at 445,000, and the odometer cable was broke a year before, back in '03.

in the early oughts I bought a 99 forester sight unseen on ebay with about 150K on the clock for $3K (which was a good deal back then)

drove that daily for several years until I bought my 04 FXT and sold it to a buddy for $1500 and he drove it for a few years including ski trips from htown to CO

The problem is %s.... IOW, back when I was working for mega and there was a fleet of Fords (Taurus being the most)... we had a 50% transmission failure rate... before 100K miles... now, if you are an individual and you do not get a bad one you think they are great... but that is a very high failure rate...

Perhaps some Tauruses were bad, but the F150 is the best selling vehicle (including cars) in the US, so if Ford had a serious transmission problem, there would be millions of F150's with bad transmissions and everyone would know about it.

Today, virtually any one of the top dozen or so auto makers make reliable and dependable vehicles...and for me, the difference is not big enough to warrant choosing one over the other. So, my next vehicle will be something that I like and not something that gets a couple percent higher review.

My favorite vehicle owned was a 1978 Ford F-150 2wd, regular cab, blue, inline 300 6 cylinder. Loved driving that truck. If I wouldn't have gotten married/had kids, I'd probably still be driving it. One that I would buy back if I could find it.

I had a 2004 Ford Taurus. That was a good, dependable decent driving car.

My current car is a 2001 Lexus LS 430. I can't really put into words how much this car shames all my previous cars. It isn't really fair how it drives. Comfort, quiet, power (290 hp), smooth ride. I chuckle like a 16 year old when I drive it. Plus, it is quit invisible from a styling perspective. Which I like. My Taurus (silver) and the LS 430 (silver) both just don't stand out.

Want a good used car, find an LS 430 (2001 to 2006) that was well cared for. I'm the second owner of mine. Original owner drove it carefully and did all the maintenance. I did the timing belt/water pump so it should be good for another 100k.

in the early oughts I bought a 99 forester sight unseen on ebay with about 150K on the clock for $3K (which was a good deal back then)

drove that daily for several years until I bought my 04 FXT and sold it to a buddy for $1500 and he drove it for a few years including ski trips from htown to CO

Some friends bought a brand new Subaru a couple years ago. They took the car in for new tires this month and the shop broke off two wheel lugs.

That, IMO, is the biggest weakness of Japanese and many domestic vehicles -- corrosion often makes them hard to work on after a few years. The Germans use fasteners that stand up to the elements. I was doing some maintenance on my 22-YO BMW this month and had to take off the belly pan. The bolts came off with hardly a squeak. I commuted 85 miles daily in this car, summer and winter, for eight years.

Some friends bought a brand new Subaru a couple years ago. They took the car in for new tires this month and the shop broke off two wheel lugs.

so they never had the tires rotated since they bought the vehicle?

i'll admit i'm a bit biased since i'm a subaru fanboi but I've never heard of anyone breaking off wheel lugs on a scoob - that's nuts (pun intended)

Kind of funny , I seen the rankings of the top 10 worse engines of all time CR.
The Mitsi. ranks #10 ( underpowered )
The # 1 worse was Yugo
Now guess who has the honors of # 2 worse of all time , hint federal government got involved and this was taken care of in 2016 ..I was shocked !

have you looked at vehicle ratings on any actual automotive sites, like car and driver, motortrend, edmunds, etc?

IMO people hang their hats way too much on CR

Was the Mitsubishi ranked as one of the worst only because it lacked power, or was it because it was an unreliable engine? IMO, those are two entirely separate categories.

Subaru ranks #2 ...Oil burning . My friends who own Subaru's love them . One guy did have oil leaks with his Forester . The story goes on and on I never put another car down .

There hasn't been a Chrysler K car produced in the U S since 1989 . If they are still out there running . That is a miracle. I know about the valve guides a real flaw .

There are a lot of good cars and few great cars , I cannot speak of a great car . I love my Ridgeline , My DW loves her Optima

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobi...-horrible-engines-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

Last edited:
so they never had the tires rotated since they bought the vehicle?

i'll admit i'm a bit biased since i'm a subaru fanboi but I've never heard of anyone breaking off wheel lugs on a scoob - that's nuts (pun intended)

This is a retired snowbird couple; they've got the Subie and a minivan, so neither vehicle sees a lot of miles or harsh winter use. As for maintenance, the wife drove the car with an underinflated tire and "had a blowout"; hubby decided to replace all four even though the set still had some life because AWD. The tire shop could have been a factor, I dunno.

+1

Several years ago when DW's car was in the body shop for a week we rented a Toyota Yaris. I was stunned at what a piece of junk that car was! It rode and sounded like we were in a tin can, took forever to get up to highway speed, even the radio sounded tinny. And lots and lots of flimsy plastic pieces eager to fall off or apart. I didn't know that any car maker would produce such a piece of junk.

The one good thing that could be said about it was the low price.

We are a Toyota loyal family. A few years ago DH had his car in the dealer and had a Scion IQ as a rental for a day. My impression was that Toyota ought to be ashamed. Awful car, terrible to drive and even worse as a passenger.

Our 33 year old son has a 2007 Yaris. It was his first car that he bought new. Yes, I thought the same thing about it, very plastic and hollow. He has a short commute and has no interest in impressing people with his car choice. It's been reliable and he's just fine with it.

Subaru ranks #2 ...massive oil leaks . My friends who own Subaru's love them . One guy did have oil leaks with his Forester . The story goes on and on I never put another car down .

I guess it depends. I know several people who own Subarus and have never had a problem burning oil. Yet, my friend with the 2007 Toyota Rav just had a new engine installed at no cost due to it burning oil. Why would Toyota replace the engine in a 10 year old vehicle, well after the warranty, at no cost if this wasn't a"known" issue?

Mitsubishi , ranks ...sorry my bad # 9 Poor power . I drove the GT and it was OK but not a whole lot of power .
Top Speed 110 MPH, but remember Fiat 500 Abarths are getting to 130 MPH

Subaru ranks #2 ...Oil burning . My friends who own Subaru's love them . One guy did have oil leaks with his Forester . The story goes on and on I never put another car down .

There hasn't been a Chrysler K car produced in the U S since 1989 . If they are still out there running . That is a miracle. I know about the valve guides a real flaw .

There are a lot of good cars and few great cars , I cannot speak of a great car . I love my Ridgeline , My DW loves her Optima

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobi...-horrible-engines-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

not oil leaks, oil consumption, two very different things - I'll admit that excessive oil consumption was an issue on some of the later model N/A engines but who buys an N/A engine anyway? :LOL:

Mitsubishi , ranks ...sorry my bad # 9 Poor power . I drove the GT and it was OK but not a whole lot of power .

again, you are putting a lot of weight on some sort of automotive "fake news" site, I'd stick to reputable sources like car and driver, etc

With all of the attention cars get , I might want to start a forum on what is the best motor oil LOL

Well, "poor power" is not the same as a mechanical flaw or a too common breakdown of a part that should be reliable. If you took the vehicle for a test drive and it had adequate power then it's a non-issue...it's no different than finding the seat comfortable or not comfortable.

Here is some new info. on Subaru . I hope it is not fake news . I am not trying to bash Subaru . I like them . But my point is these are not " Great "
cars but they should be good cars.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/...ing-vehicles-without-proper-inspections.shtml

um....since 2016 all subarus sold in the us are made in the US

there is a reason subarus have a very strong, loyal almost cult-like following

in fact you can't swing a cat without hitting one here or in CO

Perhaps some Tauruses were bad, but the F150 is the best selling vehicle (including cars) in the US, so if Ford had a serious transmission problem, there would be millions of F150's with bad transmissions and everyone would know about it.

Today, virtually any one of the top dozen or so auto makers make reliable and dependable vehicles...and for me, the difference is not big enough to warrant choosing one over the other. So, my next vehicle will be something that I like and not something that gets a couple percent higher review.

Not really.... the truck components are different, especially the transmission...

However, I did have an Explorer that had the rear axle bearings go out and cost me over $1800... one of the front went out that cost me over $500...

All car companies make a bad car... even Toyota and Honda... the question is how bad and how many.... I also do not think it is a couple of points, but that is my opinion... take a look at the second link and you can see that CR also do not think it is a few pct... BTW, I am surprised Audi and BMW has moved up so much... I did not know this...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...consumer-reports-car-reliability-survey-2017/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ion/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Back
Top Bottom