Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cars in ER
Old 10-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We recently moved into the city and went down to one car. Its working out even better than expected, we walk most everywhere. Our car is a sports wagon. Good for road trips with the dogs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not ER or R...

2000 Silverado, 4.8l, 60k mi, 16-17 city, 24-26 hwy...

Plan to keep it forever, cause every homeowner (and every Texan) needs a p/u.

Will buy something else for primary transport one of these days...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I knew this was coming.* Your are 100% correct.* It is all about what makes me feel good.* I also am pretty much the only soul in the neighborhood who regularly flies the flag (American) .
Before anyone asks--no that doesn't make me a better American. Just makes me feel good.
Before anyone asks, yes the Corona I drink is bottled in the USA.*
Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore..." - John Prine

Last three vehicles - Chev Corsica and two C1500s; no "major" complaints.

The trucks were assembled in Ft. Wayne, IN, a third-world country... :P

HFWR - A former Hoosier who has made many car parts - door frames, door panels, cat convertors, rubber bushings, and various and sundry pieces-parts.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
I knew this was coming.* Your are 100% correct.
No he's not.

When you buy a Toyota made in the US, Toyota pays wages to American workers, but they take the profits back to Japan.

When you buy from an American company, more of the profits stay here, the investors here benefit from the dividends and capital gains, more of the taxes stay here, more of the parts are made here, and it's good karma.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
No he's not.*

When you buy a Toyota made in the US, Toyota pays wages to American workers, but they take the profits back to Japan.

When you buy from an American company, more of the profits stay here, the investors here benefit from the dividends and capital gains, more of the taxes stay here, more of the parts are made here, and it's good karma.
I meant he was correct about it being a feel good thing.* As you say, it has been amply demonstrated many times in the past that more of your car $$ stays here if you buy* big three vice foreign.*
Old 10-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have always had Lincoln Towncars and Toyota Camrys. Both have been excellent over the years. For some reason we now have only two Camrys, 1998 and 2005. Not real happy with the 2005, runs fine, but had a clicking noise on acceleration/load which I have never had in the other ones. Dealer checked it out and is operating ok, and same noise in others, so must be in the design.

Next time (when I replace the 98), going back to the Lincoln, or one of the larger Fords.

Uncledrz
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

1996 Lincoln Town Car bought used now has 131,000 miles
1997 Ford Ranger pickup bought new now has 60,000 miles

Not much repair on either... front brake work on both... water pump and power steering pump and a couple of ball-joint replacements on the Lincoln... nothing major.

Gonzo
Old 10-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

1999 Mercury Marquis - 75,000 miles , no repairs (knock on wood), tires, battery - 21 mpg country driving, AC running

1995 - Toyota Avalon - 65,000 miles - no repairs (another knock on wood), tires, battery - 28 mpg country driving, AC running

1950 GMC pickup - ? mileage (speedometer broke 18 years ago), in last 27 years repaired generater, replaced tires, replaced radiator core $150, tail pipe, all break cylinders, industrial rust inhibitor paint job $600, re-arced leaf springs $200,* - 9 mpg country driving, no AC - also no turn signals, no seat belts, one wiper, cherry bomb glass pac muffler, one tail light, no back up lights, external sun visor, no PVC valve or any enviornmental stuff (vents through down draft tube), no synchro mesh for 1st gear (three on column), floor starter, 6 volt battery, legal and safe (Texas inspection) - even I can work on it with a good chance of sucessful repair/maintenance. Total repair/maintenance for the 27 years I have owned it is about $3000. I bought it for $2000.

GM don't make 'em to last like that anymore

I live at the end of a very rough private dirt road 1.2 miles from the mailbox and county road. This is tough on them but so far so good.

I will drive them until they die.* The truck will outlive us all. No payments, minimal insurance, good transportation. The truck is my baby but it rides stiff and bounces around alot ... tiresome to drive any real distance, but the Mercury has the comfort, size, and safety I like.

In Texas you gotta have covered parking or you will be buying every half dozen years or so.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #30

Ol_Rancher -

Thought you just rode around on a horse? What gives?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher

1950 GMC pickup - ? mileage (speedometer broke 18 years ago), in last 27 years repaired generater, replaced tires, replaced radiator core $150, tail pipe, all break cylinders, industrial rust inhibitor paint job $600, re-arced leaf springs $200,* - 9 mpg country driving, no AC - also no turn signals, no seat belts, one wiper, cherry bomb glass pac muffler, one tail light, no back up lights, external sun visor, no PVC valve or any enviornmental stuff (vents through down draft tube), no synchro mesh for 1st gear (three on column), floor starter, 6 volt battery, legal and safe (Texas inspection) - even I can work on it with a good chance of sucessful repair/maintenance. Total repair/maintenance for the 27 years I have owned it is about $3000. I bought it for $2000.

GM don't make 'em to last like that anymore
And I thought I did something owning a truck 17 years.* Not even in the ball park.* $5 grand for total ownership (buying&maint) is awesome.* You can't drive out of the car lot for $5000 these days. Congrats on your thrift. This is a good LBYM example.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #32

The 1950 Pickup might be a bargain as a hobby truck or spare vehicle.

However for a useful vehicle that you actually use that takes you around 10k miles a year (or more) then the poor gas mileage will eat away any savings that you might have from cheap repairs.

Just consider the savings say a 5 year old car at 20 miles/gallon would save in gas over the 1950 truck. If you drive 10k miles a year and if gas is around $3/gallon then the car will save you almost $2000/year over the truck. That $2k/year in gas savings would pay for most repairs on the late model car that you'll likely see and then some. Plus the late model car is bound to be lots more comfortable.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

For a beater, an old p/u is ideal: simple to repair, parts readily available at junkyard, built like a brick house... Could last almost indefinitely if the snow/salt didn't dissolve the body (not much a prob here in Tx).

Old 10-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

DW drives a 2004 Dodge RAM 4x4 Hemi, purhased nearly new, made us an offer we couldn't refuse. We expect to put about 10k per year or less on it for the next dozen years. When we go on seriously long trips we rent cars from Hertz and wear them out instead of ours. My commuter car in my last year of non-ER is a '95 Lincoln Mark VIII. This has turned out to be a real dream mobile, total comfort, every luxo-feature, incredible gas mileage, yet tons of horsepower. What were they thinkin' at FoMoCo? And we paid 3k at auction. It'll be the spare until we spring for that Caddie XLR in basic Black to match the Pickup someday.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

All hat and no horse (riding)!

Although the golden palomino on the place looks nice he is too orny to ride and the rocks on this mesa ridge are too numerous to allow any stock to canter, pace, or gallop. The black buck antelope break legs and die, keeping the population down to a half dozen or so. The bison, longhorn, emu and llama don't seem to mind.

The 1950 GMC pick up was usable for most transportation through the 80's but now it is a light duty vehicle (think mechanized wheel barrow) and hobby vehicle - fun to drive to town - lots of waves from others, looks great but not really practical.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #36

Based on Consumer Reports data, the Toyota Echo was a no-brainer for us. 39 MPG highway, highest reliability, low cost.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #37

My daily transportation is a 2000 Intrepid with around 111,000 miles on it, bought new. The main thing that suckered me into it was the 0.9% financing they offered at the time. However, if I'd known how fast they depreciated, I would've bought one a year or two old. Still, it's been a good, reliable car and still seems to have plenty of life left in it. It's worth practically nothing as a trade in, and even as a private party sale probably wouldn't fetch much, so I figure I'll just drive it till something major goes wrong with it.

As a backup/workhorse vehicle, I have an '85 Silverado that my Granddad bought new. After he died, Grandmom gave it to my Mom, and when she bought a new F-150 a few years back, she sold it to me. It gets crappy gas mileage, around 9-10 mpg around town, but I've only put around 6,000 miles on it in the 3 years I've had it. It's going in the shop soon, though, to get a tuneup and some carb/choke work done. Properly running, it should probably get around 14-15.

Then I've got a few antique cars, but they're more like toys/lawn trophies, and not something I have to depend on for daily transportation. Here, I have a '57 DeSoto Firedome, '67 Pontiac Catalina convertible, '68 Dodge Dart 270, '76 Pontiac Grand LeMans, and '79 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Question for those of you with "back-up" cars:

Aren't you getting eaten alive by insurance?

I drive a LOT because of my lengthy commute, and I occasionally think about picking up a cheap extra car that could be used in a pinch (main ride in for work, etc.), but I always hesitate because of the cost of insurance, tags, etc.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #39

Brewer, right now my insurance runs around $2200 per year for all 7 cars. The Intrepid is around $800. The pickup, LeMans, and NYer add around $400 each. I have the Dart, DeSoto, and Catalina on a special antique policy that's under $200 per year for all three. I'm going to put the LeMans and NYer over to the antique policy soon, when the garage I'm building is finished. That should bring my insurance down to around $1500 per year, for the regular poiicy and the antique policy combined.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer--The Corolla we just picked up cost us $55 for annual registration and $42 per month for insurance. Since we're saving $100+ per month on gas I figure it's worth it. And if I ever decide to sell it I'll probably have people knocking down my door since I NEVER see used Corollas around here for sale.