Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cars in ER
Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got an 85' Corvette that I use on the weekends.

The insurance (liability only) runs about $200 a year. That's because the insurance lists it as a pleasure vehicle and limits me to 5k miles a year.

The registration now (based on a declining value) only runs about $70/year.

I average about ~15 miles/gallon but don't drive it that much. So gas is probably the major expense. When the car needs to be fixed I do my best to fix it myself. If I get in over my head I have a mechanic friend that will fix it for a pretty low rate.

So no, my second car doesn't cost that much and I get quite a bit of fun out of it. On a nice day I like to take the targa top off and go cruising like a convertible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where are you guys? I suspect my location in the people's republic of New Jersey probably has a lot to do with it. If you haven't heard, we apparently hate insurance companies and because of some regrettably stupid laws ( like a maximum profits law, etc.), we pay through the nose for insurace. Almost as bad as MA...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #43

Brewer:

I'm in Southern California. Between my wife and I we have three cars (a Sable, a VW Beetle, and the old Corvette).

With full coverage on the Beetle and the Sable and liability-only on the Corvette we pay ~ $1100/year for insurance.

We get all of the good driver and other discounts and have a great credit score (that matters on insurance believe it or not).

I used to pay through the nose and then I found an insurance broker who had a great deal with the prefered drivers pool of Mercury Insurance.

My advice - Shop around alot. Prices vary all over the map. You'll probably find a better deal on insurance

Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Brewer:

I'm in Southern California. Between my wife and I we have three cars (a Sable, a VW Beetle, and the old Corvette).

With full coverage on the Beetle and the Sable and liability-only on the Corvette we pay ~ $1100/year for insurance.

We get all of the good driver and other discounts and have a great credit score (that matters on insurance believe it or not).

I used to pay through the nose and then I found an insurance broker who had a great deal with the prefered drivers pool of Mercury Insurance.

My advice - Shop around alot. Prices vary all over the map. You'll probably find a better deal on insurance

Oh, I have shopped hard. Best deal seems to be GEICO at the moment. Safe driving records, good credit scores, live in a quiet, safe suburban area, we drive the safest and most boring cars I could find (2003 base Subaru legacy and 2005 Honda Odyssey LX). Have full coverage on both with $1000 deductibles and it still runs us over $1500 a year. Gotta love Jersey...

- Will Rogers
Old 10-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #45

Wow Brewer I thought MA was the only place that had outrageous auto insurance rates. *We have the 05 truck, my 02 Sunfire, a 99 Fatboy, an 05 Road King, a 52 Ford Pickup and a trailer for the bikes. *You don't wanna know what my insurance bill is for the year. * *Thankfully the 52 is insured as an antique so that's not too bad.

We don't have the luxury of shopping around, only 3 or 4 companies approved to do buisness in MA

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #46

I'm in Glenn Dale, Maryland, which is not too far outside the DC. Prince George's County (high insurance rates) but outside the beltway (which drops insurance a bit)

One thing that's really creeping up here is registration. I think it's going to cost $128 to register my Intrepid for two years. The truck, when it comes due, is something like $154. When I had regular plates on the NYer a few years back, renewal was going to be something ridiculous like $190. It was about 2 months shy of qualifying for antique tags, so I just took it off the road, waited until after January 1, 2004 (when it became 25 in Maryland's eye) and then registered it as an antique. That used to run $27 every two years, but now is up to $51.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #47

Geico:

My experience with Geico wasn't so good. Back in 1990 I had a new Nissan Truck. They charged me $1400 for full coverage (no accidents or tickets). The next year they upped it to $1700. So I called em up and said "why did you raise my rates - I haven't had an accident or ticket". They told me that they had to raise my rates so that they could lower other people's rates.

That's when I shopped around. At that time I went with GMAC insurance for around half of what I had been paying.

Andre:

You better not move to Socal cause you'd go into cardiac arrest when you saw the registration rates here. Gov Arnold's bid was all about incredibly high car registration rates. So keep tellin yourself how good you've got it.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Wow Brewer I thought MA was the only place that had outrageous auto insurance rates. *We have the 05 truck, my 02 Sunfire, a 99 Fatboy, an 05 Road King, a 52 Ford Pickup and a trailer for the bikes. *You don't wanna know what my insurance bill is for the year. * *Thankfully the 52 is insured as an antique so that's not too bad.

We don't have the luxury of shopping around, only 3 or 4 companies approved to do buisness in MA

Cj
As a longtime shareholder of Commerce Group (Commerce Insurance), I fully understand the situation you face. Its not so much who is approved as the fact that companies have been fleeing MA for years because of the screwed up regulatory system. Of course, since they are the big fish in the small pond, Commerce cleans up.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in Wisconsin, Brewer. Our monthly ins. tab for all three vehicles (2001 F-150, 2001 Explorer and 2004 Corolla) runs us $117 per month. $500 deduct. We're in the over 50 category and have had no accidents or tickets EVER!! (and we managed this in spite of having two sons...hehe)

State Farm ins. who we've been with for 25 yrs.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Currently $1200yr for full-cov on my 2000 Silverado, and liability on son's 1993 Sable.

Farmer's Insurance in Tx

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Four out of five of our last car purchases have been Fords. * I've been really impressed by the quality, reliability, and design -- even compared to Japanese cars, which seem to be getting more cramped and more gadgety. * And you simply can't beat the prices on new Fords given all of the incentives. * I haven't been as impressed with Chevy or Chrysler (rental cars), though. * Ford seems to be doing someting right.
Sorry Wab... but I will never buy a Ford again in my life... I had an '85 Cougar that was breaking down ALL the time.. it would stall when it got to hot... paid many $$$s trying to get it fixed and then Ford was sued and they admitted they knew what the problem was but never told their mechanics since they did not want to recall them... My friend had the same problem with his Thunderbird...

Never buy FORD....
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

"Never buy FORD"

Isn't it funny the experiences we all have with different car companies?? I've never had any major problems with the Fords I've owned. And I put alot of miles on those cars.
Hubby had a few Fords and then decided that he wanted to try a Chevy truck. After about 3 yrs and tons of trouble he's back to a Ford again with no problems.
And now we've added a Toyota to the family fleet and are anxious to see how it holds up.
Time will tell.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I've owned a ford, chevy, toyota, subaru and a honda. Never had any problems exect with the toyota and that was after it had been pretty badly abused by a prior owner. Don't know what to tell you. Luck of the draw, I guess.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #54

Generally buy one or two year old practical but out of favor cars. Last new car I've bought was in 1989.

Right now the fleet is a 01 Ford Windstar and an 05 Ford Freestar, both minivans. Before that was a 95 Windstar. All have been much more dependable than any previous cars.

Sure miss a pickup as a third vehicle though. Loved my very basic 86 Mitsu but it rotted away and all the plastic and rubber items were going, even though it only had 86K when I sold it for salvage value in 2003 for $350. Briefly had a 2000 Ranger, bought used off of lease with only 22K miles, and almost brought it with me when we moved from Alabama to PA. But one day it occurred to me that I'd be swearing at the Ranger by January, it was 2wd and I live in the Great Lakes snowbelt area!! It was a good decision to sell it as our annual fleet miles are way down since we moved. And being able to borrow a relatives trailer when I need to haul stuff is actually much more convenient (and way cheaper) than having a PU to care and feed.

BTW, as my handles implies, I retired early but have two grade school sons. For me, an SUV would be DOWNSIZING in terms of passenger room, cargo room, but cost me at least 5 mpg.

RE2Boys
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I've had mixed luck with "pre-owned" vehicles, but I've never bought a late-model one.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW currently has a 1991 Dodge Caravan (had about 10 recalls of one sort or another) with about 105000 miles on it and an average amount of repairs I think for a Chrysler. I have a 2000 Infiniti I30 with 55000 miles on it which has been an absolute dream. Have just changed oil and recently put a set of tires on it.

Will retire in Spring 06 back in Canada. Will sell both of these vehicles here before we go since they are not fitted to be Canadian vehicales. DW plans on getting a Honda CRV AWD as her retirement gift and I plan on an Infiniti M35 AWD as my retirement gift. Want the reliability and believe they will last us 15 years or more thereby justifying the high initial prices.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #57

Hmm maybe a dumb question but do some vehicles run better than others in the cold weather?* Not talking about driving in the snow...talking about ability to handle cold cold temps.* Anybody know? Besides diesel (sorry for the last minute detail Wab)...
Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Hmm may be a dumb question but do some vehicles run better than others in the cold weather?* Not talking about driving in the snow...talking about ability to handle cold cold temps.* Anybody know?
Sure. Diesels are horrible in cold weather. In general cold weather makes any kind of ignition harder, that's why some cars have block heaters in the north. I'm sure different block sizes and materials affect this too.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Sure. Diesels are horrible in cold weather. In general cold weather makes any kind of ignition harder, that's why some cars have block heaters in the north. I'm sure different block sizes and materials affect this too.
Used to be the case but not so much anymore. You will need to add an additive to the fuel so it doesn't jell. Our diesel does fine in the cold. Started right up at 30 below zero last winter.

The important thing in to have block heaters in the north.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 PM   #60

Block heaters? Talking to a non-car person. I just know when we lived in Northern IL. people used to do things to keep the engine warm throughout the night.