Cars in ER

education

Recycles dryer sheets
I am just curious as to what kind of cars or trucks the membership here drives and how they do on repairs and costs of owning and driving, especially since the price of gas has gotten so high.

I got rid of my Volvo S 80 T-6 when I started having to pay repair bills that rivaled the GNP for Sweden. Nice car--but very impractical in retirement--every aspect of it was too costly. and it got very undependable, too. I wanted a car that has few problems, is comfortable, and not too expensive. I looked at Honda and Volkswagen and was not impressed. Finally decided on a 2005 Altima and have been pleased except for a front end squeak that drives me nuts. dealer says it's a design flaw.

What do you say about the vehicles you drive?

Our principal car is a 2003 Impala, the best car I've ever had. (I'm 62)

Our backup is a '91 Acclaim that we bought new, and still gets me from point A to point B. :LOL:

'03 Subaru Forester bought new. I commute 46 miles round trip in bad conditions, so I need the AWD. I get 29-31 mpg. I plan on keeping it until its not worth it anymore, which should be many years. DH drives an '01 Subaru Legacy, bought used. 26-28 mpg. He commutes about 120 miles round trip, but only 2-3 days a week. We also have a '95 Nissan pickup, bought used. We haven't had problems with any of them.

I drive a 1997 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with a 5.9 liter V-8.
Not real economical, but nice when you need it. No commute
of course.

DW drives a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cyl. AWD.
She commutes 10 miles one way about 4 days a week.

Truck has 160,000 miles, Jeep has 125,000 miles, both were
bought with high miles. Very low cost to maintain, but that
says more about my mechanic than the reliability of the
vehicles.

JG

I have never owned a Lexus. My experience with Japanese
cars in general has been excellent.

JG

DW drives a '95 Toyota Camry bought as a certified used car in '98. I drive a '97 Lexus ES300 also bought as a certified used car in 2002. Now that we're retired we probably drive less than 10,000 miles per year combined. I expect the Camry to last at least a few more years and the Lexus should give me at least 5 more years. Dealer service on the Lexus is pretty pricey but not required very often. I had to put about $1000 combined into the two cars to get them through inspection to be registered in Virginia when we moved here in February.

Grumpy

2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx V6, bought new: 23,000 miles. Used in my last year of commuting to work, now our primary road trip vehicle averaging 29-30 mpg overall.

2000 Mazda MPV V6 minivan, bought used (certified) in 2003: 65,000 miles. This is DW's grandkid hauler, averages 19 mpg overall.

1998 Ford F-150 V8, bought new: 51,000 miles. Just use it to pull boat, RV, and haul stuff. Lousy gas mileage, but if you live in TX, you gotta have a truck... :)

Four out of five of our last car purchases have been Fords.   I've been really impressed by the quality, reliability, and design -- even compared to Japanese cars, which seem to be getting more cramped and more gadgety.   And you simply can't beat the prices on new Fords given all of the incentives.   I haven't been as impressed with Chevy or Chrysler (rental cars), though.   Ford seems to be doing someting right.

We have a 1999 Explorer and Taurus, always been maintained and both have approx. 60K on the clocks. Hoping to get another 40-60K miles out of each but have a $50K emergency car fund in the event one or both don't go along with my plan. I hate spending money on cars, just hate it. ::)

I won't answer this cause I'm kind of a pig where cars are concerned.  But, when 9/11 came to pass, I swore I'd never buy anything other than an American car again.  I know, it's just one of my "things".
Next car hopefully will be a Yellow, black striped,  Mustang GT convert around  new years eve.  In a weak moment DW said I could get it if I exceed the 05 portfolio goal by the purchase price.(32K) 
Sadly it ain't looking good,  thanks to the October blues.  :'(
Oh well, maybe I can win Dan's stock market contest instead.

JPatrick said:
I won't answer this cause I'm kind of a pig where cars are concerned.

Oh, do tell.   You'll feel better if you face up to your compulsion.   And we'll enjoy it too.  :)

DH drives a 2002 Prius, bought new, with almost 30,000 miles now. He gets 45-54 mpg depending on whether he's running the A/C (51 this week, running low-level A/C). It's perfect for his short urban commute and tooling around town and day trips.

I drive a 1998 Toyota 4Runner, bought new, with 90,000 miles. I get 20 mpg. It's great for toting the double kayak, getting bulky supplies like yard mulch and lumber for DH's projects, and long distance driving/camping. It did a helluva job getting us across the country fully packed when we spent a few weeks sightseeing & moving from CA to SC.

Both have been problem-free, cheeap to run and insure, and we don't anticipate replacing them in the near future.

Primarily full-size North American cars and trucks. Buy new (order) or used, keep a long time. I do all repair and maintenance work myself. Been doing it pretty much 35 years now. Excellent quality of work, quality parts, and I don't have to drive it and leave them anywhere. A lot cheaper, too! Been partial to Ford/Lincoln/Mercury since the 80's. But also have a Chrysler 3.3L minivan from the early 90's, bought new, its a real trooper. Back when Chrysler was Chrysler, long before the Mercedes takeover (no, its a merger!) disaster.  @#$% Mercedes and their management, anyway.

REWahoo! said:
1998 Ford F-150 V8, bought new: 51,000 miles. Just use it to pull boat, RV, and haul stuff. Lousy gas mileage, but if you live in TX, you gotta have a truck... :)  

I have a 1997 I ordered, one of the first of the 157" WB trucks made. 4.6L Lariat w/ the 3:55 rear end & tow package. I think gas mileage is pretty good on it.  It's one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I still get into it and think "I LIKE this truck!"
I've unbolted and pulled out the rear seat bottom and seatback many times to get more out of the weather storage. With a big cab and a full 8' foot bed, it's a hauler.
I also have a previous generation 351 4WD 105" WB bucking horse, the two are an interesting contrast!

I've had a spare vehicle for many years, its always made it easier with kids running here and there, and teaching them maintenance. If one needed some work, the spare came in while we worked on the other one. Really takes the pressure off. Now in ER, my miles per year have really dropped, I have multiple spares! More cars than I need. But they are worth more to me than to anyone else. So I have a supply for a while!

2002 Honda Odyssey since new (currently 96k miles!): kid-boat hauler

2002 Subaru WRX sedan since new (currently 46k miles): commuter, weekend racer

We buy new and run em into the ground.

DH drives a 2005 Avalanche, I let him buy that if he got rid of his horrible Dodge Custom Van (hated that thing). He needs a truck for hauling the bike trailor and though it gets horrible mileage he doesn't go far during the week. I have a Pontiac Sunfire for work, gets about 35mpg. Nice weather we use the Harleys to get around although they are being put up for the winter soon :( As soon as I retire I'll buy some little SUV like a Vibe or maybe a hybrid but that's a few years away.

JPatrick said:
I won't answer this cause I'm kind of a pig where cars are concerned.  But, when 9/11 came to pass, I swore I'd never buy anything other than an American car again.  I know, it's just one of my "things".

How can you tell if it's American? What's your definition?  If it's a Mustang and most of the parts are made in Mexico, does that count?

How about a Toyota assembled in Kentucky?

- It might make you 'feel' better, but has absolutely no logic. I would also assume that you never buy anything manufactured overseas? Why just autos? Do you ever ask yourself these questions or maybe you just don't want to think about it.

Myself, after 9/11, I refuse to buy autos manufactured in Afghanistan. :)

Hubby drives a 2001 Ford F-150 which gets 17 mpg. Luckily his drive to his new part-time job is only 8 or 9 miles. Plus we use it for hauling wood or other large objects. He bought it used and it probably has around 66,000 miles.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer, bought new, with 69,000 miles which is currently parked but will be driven once the snow starts flying. 19-21 mpg

Our everday car is a 2004 Toyota Corolla we are in the process of buying from youngest son. (didn't want the car any longer in "the big city") It has 43,000 miles and gets 35-39 mpg.

We're back and forth as to whether we want to sell the Explorer or not. (well, truthfull, I'M back and forth) It hardly pays to have 3 vehicles but I love that darn thing. And it comes in handy when taking the dog(s) somewhere or as I mentioned when the snow flies.

DW drives a 2002 Toyota Camry.  I drive a 1997 Ford F-150.  The truck is paid for and the Camry will be in April.  Prior to these, I drove a GMC High Sierra Truck for 17 years (got it new) and DW drove a Ford Taurus for 15 years.  Drive 'em till the wheels fall off, you're dollars ahead.  :) BTW:  Will probably never buy a new car, always get one a year or two old.

Eagle43 said:
DW drives a 2002 Toyota Camry.  I drive a 1997 Ford F-150.  The truck is paid for and the Camry will be in April.  Prior to these, I drove a GMC High Sierra Truck for 17 years (got it new) and DW drove a Ford Taurus for 15 years.  Drive 'em till the wheels fall off, you're dollars ahead.  :) BTW:  Will probably never buy a new car, always get one a year or two old.

I'm pretty sure we will never buy another new vehicle either. Actually,
I bought my last one in 1993, the year I semiretired. Chev S-10
pick up. Cheap to buy and cheap to run.

JG

kz said:
Hubby drives a 2001 Ford F-150 which gets 17 mpg. Luckily his drive to his new part-time job is only 8 or 9 miles. Plus we use it for hauling wood or other large objects. He bought it used and it probably has around 66,000 miles.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer, bought new, with 69,000 miles which is currently parked but will be driven once the snow starts flying. 19-21 mpg

Our everday car is a 2004 Toyota Corolla we are in the process of buying from youngest son. (didn't want the car any longer in "the big city") It has 43,000 miles and gets 35-39 mpg.

We're back and forth as to whether we want to sell the Explorer or not. (well, truthfull, I'M back and forth) It hardly pays to have 3 vehicles but I love that darn thing. And it comes in handy when taking the dog(s) somewhere or as I mentioned when the snow flies. 

When I lived on the Wisc/Upper Michigan border, I had a full size Ford
Bronco with tires about a yard wide. I could go through just about anything
with that. It was just old enough so I wasn't too fussy about it, but not
so old that it was an eyesore. Great snow country vehicle.

JG

We recently moved into the city and went down to one car. Its working out even better than expected, we walk most everywhere. Our car is a sports wagon. Good for road trips with the dogs.

Not ER or R...

2000 Silverado, 4.8l, 60k mi, 16-17 city, 24-26 hwy...

Plan to keep it forever, cause every homeowner (and every Texan) needs a p/u.

Will buy something else for primary transport one of these days...

I knew this was coming.  Your are 100% correct.  It is all about what makes me feel good.  I also am pretty much the only soul in the neighborhood who regularly flies the flag (American) .
Before anyone asks--no that doesn't make me a better American. Just makes me feel good.
Before anyone asks, yes the Corona I drink is bottled in the USA.  :D

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore..." - John Prine

Last three vehicles - Chev Corsica and two C1500s; no "major" complaints.

The trucks were assembled in Ft. Wayne, IN, a third-world country... :p

HFWR - A former Hoosier who has made many car parts - door frames, door panels, cat convertors, rubber bushings, and various and sundry pieces-parts.

JPatrick said:
I knew this was coming.  Your are 100% correct.

No he's not. :)

When you buy a Toyota made in the US, Toyota pays wages to American workers, but they take the profits back to Japan.

When you buy from an American company, more of the profits stay here, the investors here benefit from the dividends and capital gains, more of the taxes stay here, more of the parts are made here, and it's good karma.

Back
Top Bottom