Casablanca quotes

I am watching "Joan Of Arc". My God, Bergman may be one of the most elegant woman I've ever seen.

Casablanca has many great quotes. I think Claude Rains had most of the best lines.

"Round Up the Usual Suspects" is one of the most memorable and also the name of a great book by Aljean Harmetz about the making of Casablanca. It was published in 1992 so I'm not sure if it is still in print. It is a fascinating read about a film classic and the golden era of Hollywood. Any fan of that period should definitely try to get their hands on a copy.

Several of the non-American actors were actually refugees from Nazi Germany or occupied Europe. Conrad Veidt escaped from the Nazis but then found himself in Hollywood typecast as a Nazi villain. He had played a Nazi in Bogart's most previous picture All Through the Night.

Paul Henreid expected his role as hero Victor Laszlo to be given equal status as Bogart's character and resented the fact that it wasn't.

Due to wartime constraints, the production values were very poor compared with pictures made just a couple of years earlier such as Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. The plane to Lisbon was a cheap prop and the set for Casablanca was borrowed from earlier Warner Bros pictures.

Contrary to popular belief, Ronald Reagan was never seriously considered for the film, nor was George Raft. The producer Hal Wallis apparently had Bogart in mind for the lead role from the beginning.

Personally, I love the film but over time I have lost respect for the Bogart character. I have come to see Rick Blaine as kind of a wimp for letting a woman get the best of him, even it it was Ingrid Bergman.

Nazi: "How do you feel about the Germans occupying your beloved Paris?"
Rick: "It's not particularly my beloved Paris."
Nazi: "How about London?"
Rick: "When you get there ask me."
Strasser: "How about New York?"
Rick: "Well, frankly, Major, there are certain sections of New York that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade."

" I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. "

As Time Goes By was DH's parents' "song" even before Casablanca was filmed, as my FIL was already an Army medic before Pearl Harbor and they were married two weeks later knowing he would be sent to Europe at any moment. The song predates the film (which works to the film's advantage as the audience already knew it and could believe it was a song Rick and Ilsa shared, just as my inlaws and no doubt thousands of other couples shared) but both make me think of them and what it must have felt like to see the movie after the war newsreels. The characters' dialog and the actors' delivery of every line to me are the essence of coolness, and the song lyrics are just so perfect for this movie.

At this rate, the entire movie will be quoted. I thought Godfather had a lot of good quotes. This little movie seems to have more.

Casablanca and Star Wars are my two all time favorites.

heh heh heh - of course I'm only 71 and may change my mind.:cool: Ala The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, ET.

I like to hear and read tidbits/trivia about it, as some have posted. I am now reading The Maltese Falcon - it's great and the movie script basically lifts the dialogue from the novel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom