Casablanca quotes

My all-time favorite movie.

Rick: "I came to Casablanca for the waters."

Capt. Renault: "The waters? What waters? We're in a desert."

Rick: "I was misinformed."

So many memorable lines:

Yvonne: Will I see you tonight?

Rick: I never make plans that far ahead.

There is a great album called Jazz by Ry Cooder that has a song called "Shine" which is what Sam is playing at the beginning.

I was in some bar in NOLA and asked the band if they knew "Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now".

Senor Ferrari: As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man.

"Walk up a flight. I'll be expecting you."

Who writes this stuff anymore?

(yes, I am watching it)

Red Dwarf season 4 episode 1 does a great parody of Casablanca. (available on Netflix streaming)

"We'll always have Parotts" - Kryten

"Your cash is good at the bar."

"What? Do you know who I am?"

"I do, you're lucky the bar is open to you."

I don't mind a parasite. I object to a cut-rate one.

I apologize the following is not verbatim but I already, fittingly, have some rum in me today:

Strausser: What nationality are you ?

Rick: I'm a Drunkard.

The first date my (now) wife and I went on was watching Casablanca at an old theater in California which had an art deco appearance and ran a lot of classic movies. This was in 1992, and it was actually the first time I saw the entire film from start to finish in one sitting.

So we'll always have the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto...

Stanford Theatre Movie Guide

At age 70, I think I may have seen the movie at least 20 times. I try not to remember any lines - that way it stays fresh every time I watch it.

heh heh heh - saw Henry IV pt 2 on PBS last night and don't WANT to remember any of those lines either. Casablanca is much better. :cool:

The first date my (now) wife ... it was actually the first time I saw the entire film from start to finish in one sitting.

Maybe this should go in that thread about things you've never done, but I've never seen Casablanca from start to finish. I checked Netfilx, it's dvd only, not streaming (I'd be more likely to watch it streaming).

But related to the date/DW thing, I did take DW (when we were dating) to see "Play it Again, Sam", a stage-play with Casablanca references, with Tommy Smothers in the Woody Allen part.

-ERD50

Maybe this should go in that thread about things you've never done, but I've never seen Casablanca from start to finish. I checked Netfilx, it's dvd only, not streaming (I'd be more likely to watch it streaming).

But related to the date/DW thing, I did take DW (when we were dating) to see "Play it Again, Sam", a stage-play with Casablanca references, with Tommy Smothers in the Woody Allen part.

-ERD50

Amazon prime has Casablanca if you use that service.

“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”

Too obvious I'm sure. Still, I love the classic ending.

Major Strasser has been shot.....Round up the usual suspects.

Louis, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

heh heh heh - saw Henry IV pt 2 on PBS last night and don't WANT to remember any of those lines either. Casablanca is much better. :cool:
I've occasionally had the distinct impression that the younger, wide-eyed execs, eager for advancement, were mouthing the following lines whilst observing a senior exec retire:

"I know thee not, old man: fall to thy prayers;
How ill white hairs become a fool and jester!
I have long dream'd of such a kind of man,
So surfeit-swell'd, so old, and so profane."
(Henry IV part 2, Act 5, Scene 5)

Being retired, the following line has much more relevance: [tonight?] "I never make plans that far ahead."

Even today, can Casablanca still offer someone the last laugh?

Victor: "One hears a great deal about Rick in Casablanca."

Rick: "And about Victor Laszlo everywhere."

Back
Top Bottom