Join Early Retirement Today

Cash for Clunker Appliances
Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cash for Clunker Appliances

Cash for Clunkers round 2:

Program to Offer Appliance Rebates - WSJ.com (subscription required)

http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/...ances-program/

Cash for Clunker Appliances. Per the wsj article, up to $200 for buying new energy star appliances. Look for it probably November. The other link says $300.

Great...

I'm looking forward to rounds 3, 4 and 5.

Cash for working at your job. Cash for breathing. And Cash for Vacations!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I wonder what difference this is than the local or state gvmts offering rebates or tax credits to install 'green' things...

I remember a number of people on this board saying how much they got back putting in a solar panel system that got the cost down to X and will be getting X back from the utility which is usually a very high price for the KWHs they send....

Some of what they do helps, some does not....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm we got an old dishwasher. I haven't priced new ones lately. Might as well stick my paw in the honey jar.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hmm we got an old dishwasher. I haven't priced new ones lately. Might as well stick my paw in the honey jar.
Same here. ours hasn't run for years. Of course, DW spotted news of this program and wants all new appliances
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Wonder if it will be one to a household? I have at least two appliances I would replace.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I wonder what difference this is than the local or state gvmts offering rebates or tax credits to install 'green' things...
It'd be great to get a state/utility rebate, along with the federal rebate, and perhaps combined with a Labor Day or Veteran's Day sale...

But it's hard to see dishwashers, air conditioners, & fridges having the same impact as automobiles.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The only appliance I'm having any problems with is my refrig. The door seal to the small upper freezer compartment is starting to detach and there is a small amount of water dripping into the lower frig.
But I believe I will get my favorite MarineGoop out and fix it before I would run out and replace the entire refrig.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looked at a woodstove to replace a 20+ yo insert we've been stringing along ... learned that Uncle will give a tax credit for 30% of the purchase. Ironically the price seemed about 30% higher than I remember paying. Not passing the sniff test ...
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It'd be great to get a state/utility rebate, along with the federal rebate, and perhaps combined with a Labor Day or Veteran's Day sale...

But it's hard to see dishwashers, air conditioners, & fridges having the same impact as automobiles.

True... but what I was trying to point out is there have been many tax incentives to buy different things... usually not direct money like the CFC program, but money none the less.... why is the CFC or cash for appliance any worse than the solar credits you and others received?

Since we are trying to stimulate the economy, I think these kind of programs are better than building an airport up in Alaska for a town of a few thousand people... and from the show I saw on this, the locals are not even hired to build it!!! They fly them in... (IIRC, it was $17 mill for this airport and there were maybe 5 or 6 more with less money)...

As for me... I got my CFC on Saturday... but do not have any old appliances... replaced most of them last year...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cash clunker appliance