Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you store the cash you carry?
Wadded up in pocket 9 11.69%
Filed in wallet 53 68.83%
Bundled with money clip 8 10.39%
Other 6 7.79%
I don't carry any cash 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Cash in your pocket - file, clip or wad?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Administrator

Cash in your pocket - file, clip or wad?

Last night I pulled several wadded up but very clean bills out of the dryer, finders keepers I guess but I started to wonder how most folks store the cash in their pockets.

Do you (as my son does) wad em up in your pocket, file them in a wallet, or keep them bundled with a money clip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klip.jpg (35.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg wad.jpg (9.2 KB, 194 views)
File Type: gif Wallet-002.gif (12.5 KB, 192 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I avoid cash for that and other reasons.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

me: faced, sorted, and filed.
her: stuffed, sprinkled about, wadded. Not at all uncommon for her to have largish bills hanging out of her purse and the purse left sitting on the floor as she shops or wanders about. Can't think of a time her purse has been stolen, wouldn't know if she has lost any - figure it's because it looks too much like a Police bait scheme - or she has karma to burn, a distinct possibility.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I keep mine in my wallet, all facing the same direction and in order of denomination. If some ends up in my pocket it's in the same order, but folded over twice. If cash ends up in the laundry I can always tell whose it was.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Sorted in my wallet and I always kept whatever I found in the dryer I figured it was a tip for a job well done !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #6

My brother uses a money clip, but I could never do that. Always in my wallet. Of course I'm almost OCD about making sure I have my wallet with me at all times. Brother leaves his in the glove box a lot.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #7

stuff it in my pocket. Sometimes never know how much is in there, but usually know it is under $40 bucks.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

in the wallet in the pocketbook, never out of sight.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I keep mine in my wallet, all facing the same direction and in order of denomination.
Same here except if i'm going to be in a place with a greater risk of pick pocketing. Then i'll fold it, bills in order of denomination, and put it in my pocket. Sometimes spread out over several pockets.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I use my wallet...I don't carry enough cash to make a wad.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I usually carry a large potato in my pocket - my front pocket.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #12

I use a cheapo imitation leather CC case as a wallet...don't need anything bigger than that! Along with my DL, CC, and a couple of other ID/Membership card, I fold $5 bills and larger tri-fold style and stick the $5 & $10 bills in one side behind my ID cards, and the $20 bills behind my DL and CC in the other side. $1 bills are folded in half and just stuck in the middle of the closed CC case for easy access.

I normally carry it in my front pocket so I don't lose it, or get it picked out of my back pocket, and also 'cause I can't stand sitting on stuff.....make me sit lop-sided and bothers my back...that's the #1 reason I quit using a regular wallet!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Do you get results?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Do you get results?
A lot better results than when I put it in my back pocket...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never touch the stuff.

Having cash in your pocket just gives you license to spend it. If I do end up with cash for some odd reason, that goes in the wallet, change goes in the tip jar or else it ends up stuck in my vacuum cleaner.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #16

I carry my cash in my wallet, but my wallet isn't long enough to have the bills flattened out, so I fold bills of the same denomination together.

So mostly I carry a couple of 1s folded together, except on payday when we're flush and I've got a 5 or two in there.

Change goes in the change part of my wallet until it's too much and then I dump it into a Nalgene bottle on my dresser. I'll use the change jar for something, but can't figure out what, yet. That's a New Year's resolution -- figure out what to spend the chump change on.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #17

I have recently started using the "envelope system" for several of my budget categories. Instead of paper envelopes, which would fall apart much too quickly, I use several little change purse/badge holders left over from business meetings. Inside each, the cash is jumbled together any which way. I guess that's "other"—it's a wad, but not in my pocket. Before that, my cash was a wad in my pocket, but I carried very little of it and paid for nearly everything with my debit card.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't ask how I know, pickpockets say they watch for a tell to see where people keep their money. Most people will pat the place they keep the money.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #19

In my wallet, all mixed up. Here each denomination is a different color/size so it's fast and easy to find the bill you need.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with Goonie--back problems always prohibited me from carrying a wallet in my back pocket. I have about 10 cards (license, credit card, library card, Kroger card, etc.) that are wrapped with 2 3 x 5 cards taped together (inside of the 3 x 5's I have all pertinent phone#s and addresses of relatives, friends). Around that I wrap all my cash (all in order and smoothed out). Secure it all with those big, thick rubberbands that I get from the library for free. Nice, small, tight package. I used to try and use money clips, but they always seemed to get sprung and not hold. On a completely different note, my brother-in-law is a Vet with bad diabetes, and has been taking blind-type courses in case he eventually goes blind. Government had never designed money of different shapes and feel, and he said blind people fold different denominations in different shapes (double fold, triple fold , corners turned), so they know what's what.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote