Join Early Retirement Today

Cash vs Credit for gasoline rant!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cash vs Credit for gasoline rant!

Do other states have different prices per gallon for gasoline? Most of the gas stations between home & office have different $/gal. This infuriates me!! I detest carrying cash - it flies out of my pockets, and I don't get a freakin' thing for using cash (no cash back, no FF miles, etc) So, now I feel the need to make sure I have $30 cash stashed in my car just to take advantage of the 5-10 cent savings per gallon.

Grrrrrrr!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just get a card that pays 3-5% cash back for gas. I get back 7.5 to 12.5 cents per gallon this way on my cashback credit card. And no need for the inconvenience of carrying cash or the inconvenience of running inside the store to pay for it.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
no need for the inconvenience of running inside the store to pay for it.
This is NJ - no getting out of car to get gas That part was easy to get used to!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Do other states have different prices per gallon for gasoline? Most of the gas stations between home & office have different $/gal. This infuriates me!! I detest carrying cash - it flies out of my pockets, and I don't get a freakin' thing for using cash (no cash back, no FF miles, etc) So, now I feel the need to make sure I have $30 cash stashed in my car just to take advantage of the 5-10 cent savings per gallon.
I think we had a thread on this before. If you have a checking/ATM/debit card I think you can get the same price as cash.

It works at my local liquor store where they give a 5% discount on cash sales. I popped in Saturday to buy a bottle of Crown for a friend's birthday and realized I had almost no cash, but they give the same discount if you use the debit card (using your PIN).
Old 09-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Just get a card that pays 3-5% cash back for gas. I get back 7.5 to 12.5 cents per gallon this way on my cashback credit card. And no need for the inconvenience of carrying cash or the inconvenience of running inside the store to pay for it.
What he said.
My cashback is 4% on gasoline and automotive purchases (car parts at stores). With 2 older cars in the 4 wheel "fleet", this really makes a difference. My only extra cost is keeping the mechanic well fed and smiling.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

I'm glad some businesses are charging more for those who use a credit card. When you use a CC the business has to pay the CC company a % of the sale price and that gets past on to the customer. That shouldn't be charged if you don't use a credit card. I don't use a CC and I never will. I don't even own one.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm glad some businesses are charging more for those who use a credit card. When you use a CC the business has to pay the CC company a % of the sale price and that gets past on to the customer. That shouldn't be charged if you don't use a credit card. I don't use a CC and I never will. I don't even own one.
It used to be illegal in Texas to charge a different price (lower) for something if they paid cash... not sure why as the local government entities charge a 'convenience fee' if you want to pay with a credit card... not sure if it still illegal...
Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #8

It's legal here if the two prices are clearly advertised on the price board. Cash for this is only the green stuff.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Seems that I recall that the agreement that a merchant signs with a CC company requires that cash and CC customers will be charged the same price for items. (Sorry, I do not recall why I think that I know this "fact" or if I just think that it should be this way)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #10

A landscape supply business that I frequent, has dumped 2 CC companies in the past year because they increased the percentage they charge for their "service". He said that he is very seriously considering raising the price on all of his stock the same percentage that the CC company charges, and then giving that percentage of a discount to all of his "cash" customers.

A majority of his business is either cash, or business accounts who pay monthly by check. So only a minority would be paying the "up" fee. I can't say as I blame him for it....since his bottom-line is taking a hit for the 'convenience' of CC usage.

As for the OP....there's only two gas stations around here that I know of that have different prices for CC or cash. Both are truck-stops along the interstate 10-12 miles away. All the local stations are same price for cash or CC.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just went furniture shopping on Sunday, without buying.
Terms offered were:
Financing - zero interest for 6 months, with loan application required for Wells Fargo Bank including releasing a lot of info to the furniture store.
Credit card - 3% discount
Cash or check - 5% discount

We offered them a certain amount for 3 items including sales tax & delivery and were ready to pay cash or credit card. They turned down our offer. Must be nice in a recession.
I personally think they said no because we wouldn't do the financing deal, for which I am sure they are getting a nice percentage. Oh well. They lost a sale. None of the items were "critical on that day" for us.
I'm going to call them next week and see if they changed their tune yet. Never play chicken with me when it comes to haggling a price.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #12

My BP card has 5% rebate on BP gas...lately I've noticed a few restaurants giving a 5% discount when paying with cash.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

IMO the credit card industry imposes the equivalent of a 1 to 3% tax on all purchases. They seem to have successfully entrenched themselves in a way that all retailers just add the overhead to the cost of purchases. You pay the CC company fee for goods and services even if you pay cash.

For example: If I spend $30,000 in a year on retail goods and services... is 3% ($900) of that money just going to the credit card company (even if I use cash or check). If you looked at total retail purchases in the US, that CC company fee is enormous.

If electronic transactions are the new currency, then the government should consider how to implement cashless transactions that do not impose that type of consumer cost by default. However, there is some sort of cost.

IMO - Some sort of reform is in order. At least in terms of credit card fees are added to the purchase and not included in the price of the goods or services. You can bet this sort of change would cause most consumers to modify their behavior. There would be more purchase with cash or check.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Seems that I recall that the agreement that a merchant signs with a CC company requires that cash and CC customers will be charged the same price for items. (Sorry, I do not recall why I think that I know this "fact" or if I just think that it should be this way)

This was my understanding as well. I, too, don't recall how I got that impression... and I am too lazy to research it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
IMO the credit card industry imposes the equivalent of a 1 to 3% tax on all purchases. They seem to have successfully entrenched themselves in a way that all retailers just add the overhead to the cost of purchases. You pay the CC company fee for goods and services even if you pay cash.
My belief, also.

Get a good cashback/rebate credit card and simply imagine that it balances the books. Life's too short to worry about such a small amount. (That is if you are not using up hundreds of gallons of fuel each week.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #15

Texas Proud,
It is against the law in Texas for the Property Tax Collector to 'discount' taxes. i.e. he/she must collect the entire tax. While it is called a 'Convenience' fee, it is really the fee paid to the credit card co. for the use of their system. If you think about it, this fee is sometime as much as 5%. If everyone paid by credit card, and this fee was passed on to the jurisdictions, then they would be 5% short on their budgets. Could it all be figured in, sure, business does, and government could also. However, it is the system that exist in Texas.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #16

At one time I saw different prices for cash vs. cc but it's been years. I usually pay cash but in rare instances will use a cc. I looked at the BP card (5% discount) but if you're late paying the interest rate is nearly 25% and I said the heck with that!

That said, I haven't been late on a bill since 1983 (ex-wife was a spender) but still it smacks to me of opportunistic price-gouging and I'm not gonna play that game.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I looked at the BP card (5% discount) but if you're late paying the interest rate is nearly 25% and I said the heck with that! ... That said, I haven't been late on a bill since 1983
Let's see (for simplicities sake) at $100 a month that's $60 in annual discount. If you (fat chance) are late once it costs $25. I fail to see the problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Oops. Guess my Rememberer ain't what it used to be:

Your Rights: This McDonald's Charges 25¢ To Use A Credit Or Debit Card, Violates Merchant Agreement

This may have been what I was thinking of:

NonToxicReviews » Blog Archive » Don’t fall for Minimum Credit Card Purchases again