Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Well, that's your opinion, and one not widely shared by experts. My cats stay inside where they won't pick up diseases, run over by cars (they aren't nearly as good as dogs about getting out of the way), get preyed upon by larger animals, get in fights with other cats or animals, and so on. Might help my health too as they aren't bringing in fleas and ticks. I try to give them activities and room for exercise. I'm sure they'd get more on their own outside but mine are at a really good weight. "Extremely cruel"? Hardly.
And you are entitled to your opinion too and to keep your poor cat cooped up inside since you wish to. And to be brutally honest, i don't care a rat's a$$ what the supposed experts.... especially the Sierra Club.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We have coyotes and coydogs around here too... we can sometimes hear them at night in the summer but they tend to avoid the areas where our houses are and are more up in the uninhabited woods. Many years ago in our old neighborhood we lost a couple of older cats... we think to a fox that was later killed... so we are well aware of the hazards of letting out cats outdoors. Also, some neighbors have recently lost cats... we think to a neighborhood owl but that is just a guess. As a result, we are now trying to make sure our cat is in about dark. Amazingly, he actually usually comes when DW calls him.

But I am still willing to take the risk rather than see him cooped up all day inside.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

When we lived in Bainbridge Island the wildlife folks once took a look at an eagle's nest and found 20+ cat collars.

Small dogs and cats are prey for eagles, hawks and owls.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PETA has quite a bit on their site about humans being the biggest predator to cats. They have had reports of cats being rounded up and sold for research, skinned for fur, used as bait in dog fights and all sorts of scary stuff done to them. They also recommend cats be kept inside or outside under supervision, or outside with a product called Cat Fence In, a mesh barrier that goes on top of a regular fence that keeps cats inside a yard:

Animal Rights Uncompromised: Outdoor Cat | Cruel Practices | Companion Animals | The Issues | PETA

or outdoor enclosures for cats:

http://www.peta.org/living/companion...s/indoor-cats/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Yup. PETA's credibility is right up there with the Sierra Club in my book.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #46

Folks, let's keep it friendly, please.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yup. PETA's credibility is right up there with the Sierra Club in my book.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

OP here-the indoor/outdoor debate has proved to be interesting. For the record I am with PB4uski. When we pick up our cat from the vets after being boarded for a few days, he so lethargic and indifferent, you can tell his "spirit" has been materially repressed. I know, I know better repressed than dead but that is a debate for another thread.
NOW, back to the original question--what recommendations are there regarding the actual cat door?? Couple of helpful remarks on chip versions and the like. I was hoping for helpful tips about location and installation as well as brands.
Thanks
Nwsteve
Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #49

So much for friendly discussion on cat doors.