Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Great news! I've never seen the "clip trick" before. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

FYI, none of my cats will touch a pill pocket, but I know other people who have had good luck with them. Depends on the cat, as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I've had success with pill pockets before, but like Calico says it doesn't work with all cats. IIRC worked fine with my mom's cat not with mine.
I would think that for this one the pill pocket would not work.... after I gave her a pill tonight I gave her a treat... she just left it on the floor... our other cat came by and scarfed it down... so, she is a candidate

The girl who is getting the pills is able to work her tongue and spit it up... so I have to push it down a bit and hold her mouth shut....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The girl who is getting the pills is able to work her tongue and spit it up... so I have to push it down a bit and hold her mouth shut....
Cool that the clip worked! I've never tried it. I don't think it would hurt her as long as the clip isn't to tight and is quickly removed.

Some things that have worked for me for those cats who spit the pill out:

- squirt a small amount of water in her mouth after pilling with an oral syringe.
- hold her mouth shut after pilling, then blow gently on her face. For some strange reason, this often results in a swallow reflex.
- use a "pill popper". This places the pill farther back so it's more likely to go down. Most vets have them or you can buy them at many pet supply stores.
__________________

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 517
I'm late to this discussion, but that "clip trick" is a riot! I'm also glad to hear that the pee problem is under control. We had a cat with that issue - we had had her for almost 10 years, and then suddenly she started peeing elsewhere. Hers was also a UTI, and the antibiotics cleared up the issue.

Our Murphy (see my avatar) has hyperthyroid and gets 1/2 pill twice a day. Fortunately it's crush-able and I just mix it in with a bit of her canned food (with lots of gravy) and she eats it with no problem. I count myself lucky that it's that easy.
__________________
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Truth is, no cat lover is truly sane. My life is a testimony to this statement.
LOVE this! Ain't it the truth!
__________________
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Well, maybe I spoke to soon... this morning, the clip did not work like it did at first... she was able to struggle, just not as strongly as she had before... once I got the pill in her mouth she was able to fight her way from me (I have the scratches on my leg as proof)....

I do not know if it went down, but I can not find it on the floor or anywhere else...

I will still use this method for now... just a few more days to go....
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Cool that the clip worked! I've never tried it. I don't think it would hurt her as long as the clip isn't to tight and is quickly removed.

Some things that have worked for me for those cats who spit the pill out:

- squirt a small amount of water in her mouth after pilling with an oral syringe.
- hold her mouth shut after pilling, then blow gently on her face. For some strange reason, this often results in a swallow reflex.
- use a "pill popper". This places the pill farther back so it's more likely to go down. Most vets have them or you can buy them at many pet supply stores.

Heck, we can not get anything into her mouth, even a syringe...

I tried the 'blow in nose' method.... does not work.... my wife says this cat has 'brain damage'
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
my wife says this cat has 'brain damage'
Nah. What ya got there is a Ninja cat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja.jpg (37.5 KB, 5 views)
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
once I got the pill in her mouth she was able to fight her way from me (I have the scratches on my leg as proof)....


A few more weeks of this and you may be a candidate for some leather motorcycle pants
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, maybe I spoke to soon... this morning, the clip did not work like it did at first... she was able to struggle, just not as strongly as she had before... once I got the pill in her mouth she was able to fight her way from me (I have the scratches on my leg as proof)....

I do not know if it went down, but I can not find it on the floor or anywhere else...

I will still use this method for now... just a few more days to go....
You are a brave man putting her on your lap! Will she normally sit in your lap? Ours was a no-lap cat so we always had to leave her on the floor or the ottoman while we "worked" on her. She would be in nuclear mode even before the meds if we had tried to put her in our lap.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
You are a brave man putting her on your lap! Will she normally sit in your lap? Ours was a no-lap cat so we always had to leave her on the floor or the ottoman while we "worked" on her. She would be in nuclear mode even before the meds if we had tried to put her in our lap.

Right now the only places she seems to want to be is in my lap (or on my chest if I am reclining... I mean, RIGHT under my chin).... on our bed (not normally allowed, but I let her yesterday) or in the litter box ....

She is a very calm cat with me.... and the scratches were very minor... I used a towel before, but the clip seemed to work so I did not use one...

Right now our other cat is laying in front of the keyboard.... but trying to lay ON it... tough to type.... but she is asleep now.....
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Right now the only places she seems to want to be is in my lap (or on my chest if I am reclining... I mean, RIGHT under my chin).... on our bed (not normally allowed, but I let her yesterday) or in the litter box ....

She is a very calm cat with me.... and the scratches were very minor... I used a towel before, but the clip seemed to work so I did not use one...

Right now our other cat is laying in front of the keyboard.... but trying to lay ON it... tough to type.... but she is asleep now.....
Pictures please
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Pictures please
Of the cats or the wounds

{39} Cat Scratch Fever | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
__________________

__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.