Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've mixed the liquid into Fancy Feast. Works best with a fishy flavor that masks the taste of the meds.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you get the liquids from a pet pharmacy, they can flavor it making it much more palatable to kitty. That's why I go thru them rather than get the liquid from the vet. The last time (with our new kitty, so no experience wrt to her and meds), some of it went into kitty, some onto kitty, some onto me and some onto the furniture . I called the pet pharmacy and they overnighted a fish flavored version which kitty accepted with no problems. They have several choices of flavoring available so you can chose the one kitty favors.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
l... she fights worse than when we try to put her in a cage... I wonder what happened to her when she was young...
I have had many cats over the last 20+ years, and even those with the sweetest dispositions, whom I raised from kittenhood, and who never suffered any kind of trauma, still hate taking pills. When a cat is restrained, their "flight or fight" instinct kicks in, and since they can't flee, they struggle and fight. They don't know we are trying to help them with the pills.

Regarding putting the pill in food: I have had cats who literally eat all the food, lick the pill clean, and reposition the pill right in the center of their food dish. Then they smirk at me and walk away. Kind of makes me admire their smarts!

Regarding liquid meds: I have often had better luck with liquids. If you can squirt the liquid meds into their "cheek pouch" before they know what hit them, so to speak, it can be a faster process than pilling. Less traumatic for both you and the cat! I agree with previous posters - if you can get the liquid meds in a fishy flavor, that can help a lot.

Your cat is lucky to have a person who cares enough to keep trying with the meds - some folks just give up. Best of luck to both of you.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Man... what an ordeal.... the cat will not cooperate at all... she fights worse than when we try to put her in a cage... I wonder what happened to her when she was young...
We've all been there and than watched in amazement as the Vet pills the cat in 5 seconds with no blood loss.

There are youtube videos on pilling a call which kinda of sort of help.
But there is a reason there are comedy bits all over the net about the process.

Still it is better than having to clean up cat pee on going basis.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I have had many cats over the last 20+ years, and even those with the sweetest dispositions, whom I raised from kittenhood, and who never suffered any kind of trauma, still hate taking pills. When a cat is restrained, their "flight or fight" instinct kicks in, and since they can't flee, they struggle and fight. They don't know we are trying to help them with the pills.

Regarding putting the pill in food: I have had cats who literally eat all the food, lick the pill clean, and reposition the pill right in the center of their food dish. Then they smirk at me and walk away. Kind of makes me admire their smarts!

Regarding liquid meds: I have often had better luck with liquids. If you can squirt the liquid meds into their "cheek pouch" before they know what hit them, so to speak, it can be a faster process than pilling. Less traumatic for both you and the cat! I agree with previous posters - if you can get the liquid meds in a fishy flavor, that can help a lot.

Your cat is lucky to have a person who cares enough to keep trying with the meds - some folks just give up. Best of luck to both of you.

Ours did the same with the pill.... left it and ate all the other food... so I got smart... smash it up and mix it in her fishy food... she smelled it and walked away... did not eat anything for 24 hours..... she held out longer than I could

I have only done my spread the crushed pill on her coat today, and she eventually did clean it up... not sure how much medicine got into her, but at least it is more than my other methods...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
We've all been there and than watched in amazement as the Vet pills the cat in 5 seconds with no blood loss.

There are youtube videos on pilling a call which kinda of sort of help.
But there is a reason there are comedy bits all over the net about the process.

Still it is better than having to clean up cat pee on going basis.

I watched a number of them..... was able to get ONE pill down her before she wised up and does not let me get her... it is funny as I will try and wrap a towel around her and she fights and fights and fights.... but once I stop, she lays right back down on my lap... I wish I could get her mouth open when she is sleeping there...

She has stopped.... so I think we have gone over the hump on this one....
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #67

Quote:
Ours did the same with the pill.... left it and ate all the other food... so I got smart... smash it up and mix it in her fishy food... she smelled it and walked away... did not eat anything for 24 hours..... she held out longer than I could

I have only done my spread the crushed pill on her coat today, and she eventually did clean it up... not sure how much medicine got into her, but at least it is more than my other methods...
Oh boy, you've got yourself a smart and stubborn little one there. She may be related to some of my cats from earlier years!

The spread-the-pill-on-her-coat solution was creative. It's amazing the lengths we have to go to to try to outwit these little creatures.

Keep us posted on who wins the battle of wits, and how she's doing.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #68

Our now deceased shelter kitty, Abby, totally freaked if she was restrained in any way. I learned how to get meds (liquid and pill) into her without restraint from the low cost vaccine clinic vet. He grabbed/gathered only the nape of her neck, lifted her a bit, and pulled back hard enough (which is pretty vigorous) such that she would have an open mouth smile.

The major yank on the nape of the neck and the lift (sometimes to the point where her front feet were off the ground and she's almost vertical) was much less traumatic for her that any type of pressure/feeling of restraint on her body. Wrapping her in a towel was by far the worst thing to do as it triggered a panic reaction and she went ballistic.

Soon after we got her, we took her to the vet to get her ears checked and the vet decided he needed to clean them out (yeast infection left over from the shelter?). He said he would take her in the back to do it and mentioned he would sedate her if required but you could tell he didn't think he would have any problem controlling her. My husband and I looked at each other and chuckled. He, of course, had to sedate her and said he had never encountered such a strong cat. The grab the neck move was a life saver when we had to start giving her Lactulose several time a week.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She has stopped.... so I think we have gone over the hump on this one....
Isn't it dangerous to not take the full regimen of antibiotics? As I understand it, the majority of bacteria are wiped out in a short time, symptoms get better, but you (well, the cat) are left with a colony of somewhat resistant bacteria that can come back even stronger and be very difficult to treat.

You might want to talk to the vet and maybe follow up with a short round of liquid to get the 'full' treatment?

I'm not a cat lover, but years ago when DW had an 'inside cat', we went through this. I was totally aggravated and sure the cat was just being nasty, but it was a urinary infection, and the medicine cleared it right up, permanently.

Good luck - ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Isn't it dangerous to not take the full regimen of antibiotics? As I understand it, the majority of bacteria are wiped out in a short time, symptoms get better, but you (well, the cat) are left with a colony of somewhat resistant bacteria that can come back even stronger and be very difficult to treat.

You might want to talk to the vet and maybe follow up with a short round of liquid to get the 'full' treatment?

I'm not a cat lover, but years ago when DW had an 'inside cat', we went through this. I was totally aggravated and sure the cat was just being nasty, but it was a urinary infection, and the medicine cleared it right up, permanently.

Good luck - ERD50

I am giving her the full treatment.... I have been putting the crushed pill on her coat with a bit of water so it sticks and she is licking it off... you can tell she does not like the taste of the pill, but is more interested in being 'clean' than the taste...

I might try Buckeye's method tonight.... the only problem I have with that is the cat is only 6 lbs and you can lift her up by pulling on her nape without getting much of anything else... we will see....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

The Buckeye method is a good idea, and it seems (with mine at least) to sort of freeze them into stillness. I have an especially "clawy" calico that I use it on, but we call it the Kitty Vulcan Death Hold when we do it, and include some sci-fi sound effects at the same time.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The Buckeye method is a good idea, and it seems (with mine at least) to sort of freeze them into stillness. I have an especially "clawy" calico that I use it on, but we call it the Kitty Vulcan Death Hold when we do it, and include some sci-fi sound effects at the same time.

When my wife was helping, I was pulling her back and it still did not stop her from thrashing around... but as I said, she is small.... I will try and pull the skin more and see how it does... I really would like to get the pill IN her mouth because I do not know how much is being licked off her coat and how much is dropping to the floor...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Wonder if this works...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

The crushed pill on the fur is a great idea. If water doesn't work well, you could mix it with the hairball syrup stuff that comes in a tube. That's how I give my cats the hairball remedy, and there's no reason why it wouldn't work with pill powder mixed in. Just make sure to rub it in good, because mine will try to run and flick it off their paw first, but soon give up and lick it off. I have found some gobs on the wall or floor when I didn't rub it in good.

btw, that cat deactivation video is hilarious! And quite possibly very useful.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #75

Quote:
I am giving her the full treatment.... I have been putting the crushed pill on her coat with a bit of water so it sticks and she is licking it off... you can tell she does not like the taste of the pill, but is more interested in being 'clean' than the taste...

I might try Buckeye's method tonight.... the only problem I have with that is the cat is only 6 lbs and you can lift her up by pulling on her nape without getting much of anything else... we will see....
You also may have to bunch up the neck skin a little,
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #77

I got to the point where I could pill my cat, more or less successfully. But then I discovered Pill Pockets and never looked back. Insert pill in treat, give to cat. My cat ADORES them and hasn't figured out, yet, that there's a pill inside. You can find them at any pet store.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

WOW.... that video of Purron's really works!!!

I have now given two pills (just wanted to make sure the first one was not a fluke)... no major issue... the first time she was able to spit it up, but she was not fighting... so, I put it down again and got her to swallow...

Maybe I will look at the pill pockets.... to me it would be much easier if all you had to do was give it to her.... but, it does not seem that the clip hurts her at all....

Thanks for all the help....

Now all I have to do is try and figure out why she has decided to just lay in the litter box all day ....
Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #79

Great news! I've never seen the "clip trick" before. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

FYI, none of my cats will touch a pill pocket, but I know other people who have had good luck with them. Depends on the cat, as usual.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I've had success with pill pockets before, but like Calico says it doesn't work with all cats. IIRC worked fine with my mom's cat not with mine.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote