Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Cat stew lover skewered in Italy
Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cat stew lover skewered in Italy

ROME – Italian state TV has suspended a cooking show host who shocked the nation by saying cat stew is a Tuscan delicacy he swears he has enjoyed many times.
RAI TV confirmed on Wednesday that it had suspended Beppe Bigazzi, the 77-year-old host of a popular morning program that offers food tips and recipes in a country fiercely proud of its cuisine.
When his 27-year-old female co-host looked stunned as Bigazzi said he has eaten cat stew "many times," the white-haired, grandfather figure defended his tastes.
"Why, people maybe don't eat rabbit, chicken, pigeon?" Bigazzi said. He could have added horse meat, which many butchers and supermarket meat departments stock.
"Who's not fat, kills the cat," is how Bigazzi began his lighthearted prattle about cat stew.
Bigazzi claimed cat stew was a Tuscan specialty near the Arno river valley, but co-host Elisa Isoardi looked so embarrassed she ducked behind a cart of fresh salad greens whose healthy virtues the two were supposed to be chatting about.
"Cat, soaked for three days in the running water of a stream" in Tuscany "comes out with its meat white, and I assure you — I have eaten it many times — that it is a delicacy," Bigazzi continued.
His critics included Health Ministry Undersecretary Francesca Martini.
"Cats are pets protected by law," Martini noted, specifically against "cruelty, maltreatment and abandonment."
She lamented in a statement issued by the Health Ministry that Bigazzi's advocating cat stew "hurts sensibility, which is fortunately steadily growing, of citizens toward animals."
The director of the RAI channel the show runs on, Mauro Mazza, called the decision to suspend Bigazzi for an unspecified amount of time as "painful but inevitable."
Only a few moments after revealing his startling recipe, Bigazzi seemed to anticipate he would be barraged with criticism. "Now there will be letters from nature lovers. Why don't they defend rabbits?" he asked.
By Wednesday, two days after the showed was broadcast, the YouTube video clip had recorded more than 55,000 hits, and more than 800 comments registered. [AP]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to admit that I am of the same mind as the show host: Why is it OK to eat beef and chicken but not cat and horse?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, we know what ALF thinks about this:

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's all about culture I suppose. However I do believe I'd go the vegetarian route before I'd have a tabby burger.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly if I was in Tuscany visiting and a local invited me over for authentic cat stew (or whatever it's refered to as), I'd accept without hesitation. When in Rome.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of which, there's a great show on the Food Network where the host travels around eating really strange food. I'm talking everything from insects to testicles. The host is a heavy set bald guy, I can't think of his name or the show's name. His motto is: "If it looks good, eat it". There's a lot stranger food than cat stew that people could be condemning this 77 year old Italian cooking show host for.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I have to admit that I am of the same mind as the show host: Why is it OK to eat beef and chicken but not cat and horse?
Yeah - I've looked everywhere, but you just can't get any good cat stew.

Oh sure you can buy canned cat stew. But who wants that ! There's nothing quite like some home -made cat stew.

And it's very economical too. I hardly pay anything for the ingredients.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
gone traveling

...must...resist...posting...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Why WS?...are you a ummmm, nm....
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Why WS?...are you a ummmm, nm....
maybe the cat got my tongue?...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
maybe the cat got my tongue?...
...must...resist...replying...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Oh sure you can buy canned cat stew. But who wants that ! There's nothing quite like some home -made cat stew.
yeah, good old cat stew- just like mom used to make....
Old 02-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This is dangerous territory. Every time Audubon publishes an article about loose cats killing song birds, the scat hits the fan. Don't mess with the kitties!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

This line got me: "Cat, soaked for three days in the running water of a stream" in Tuscany "comes out with its meat white,"

Do you really want to eat something that you have to soak in running water for three days.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
This line got me: "Cat, soaked for three days in the running water of a stream" in Tuscany "comes out with its meat white."
Cat: The other white meat.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #16

Quote:
...I'm...weak...can't...resist...

I like cats. Fried, broiled, stewed.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...I'm...weak...can't...resist...

I like cats. Fried, broiled, stewed.
Reminds me of W.C. Fields's response to, "So, how do you like children?" "Barbecued."

I admit to threatening my misbehaving feline with the taxidermist now and then, but she's safe from the stewpot. Carnivores are too darn stringy and gamey

A.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #18

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't care to try cat stew or dog. Guess it's not mah thang.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine had cat stew in China. He said it was like beef, but very gamey. He didn't know what he was eating until afterwards. After finding out, he became violently ill. All in the mind! But there are no cats or dogs roaming the streets in China.
Tastes Just Like Chicken
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #20

Tastes Just Like Chicken

The cat eaters of Cameroon

BBC NEWS | UK | The cat eaters of Cameroon

Quote:
The body was then roasted with vegetables and plantains for an hour.
Four other men joined Atangiang for lunch.
In the midst of his meal, I asked one of the men how the cat tasted.
"It is very, very sweet. I recommend to people who do not eat cats to start eating it because when you eat pussy cat, you don't get fever."
The man who prepared and cooked the cat ate the head, while the four others shared the other parts. I was offered some but declined.

Quote:
Pa Adangwa John, another of the diners, told me that joining their cat eating group would bring good luck. And as evidence he told me that before going to ask for the hand of his girlfriend in marriage, he ate some cat meat to be sure she would not turn him down. She is now his wife.
Closed Thread