CATV Stations
Old 07-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CATV Stations

Thought I had solved all the problems by removing the splitter and thereby
increasing signal strength..........evidently not. Does it make sense that the
available stations change over time. Had been working fine since the splltter
removal.

Yesterday a whole bunch of local stations 2-9 and CNN 56 were missing.
Comcast had a blue screen said temporarily unavailbe; available soon.
That night the local stations 2-9 were back but CNN 56 was still missing.

This morning CNN is working.

Initial the reps sent a signal to reset the CATV box, then said the box is too old so a tech would need to replace the box. Would a tech replace the box if everything was working when he came out?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Initial the reps sent a signal to reset the CATV box, then said the box is too old so a tech would need to replace the box. Would a tech replace the box if everything was working when he came out?
Comcast is inconsistent but yes, would probably replace the box. Once there the tech will also check the signal strength / quality and connections.

The blue screen sounds like an encryption issue, which points to a bad STB. If you have a Comcast service outlet nearby you can go change the box yourself if you don't want the tech in your house.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

No. CATV RF levels leaving a headend should be fairly consistent. Digital carriers will have a lower level than analog, but both should remain consistent over time.

Possible causes of signal level fluctuations could be water in the drop, or ground block, voltage on the cable wire, LTE ingress, etc...

Blue screen sounds like a TV issue, I only know of one Comcast box that puts out a blue screen and it was discontinued 7-8 years ago. Yes, if you have a tech come to your home, he can replace the box.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Hope this is useful. I had been getting pixilation on some channels and some channels just got an error message. I thought it might be my splitter, but I never did anything about it other than do some research. Well.... the cable co just did an upgrade to their service, by making their signal 100% encrypted and digital. Everyone has to have a DTA or similar box to get a picture. Ever since the upgrade, I get all the channels I'm supposed to get, except two, without any pixilation (knock on wood). And without touching the splitter. I am assuming that prior to the upgrade, I was getting a combination of some channels analog, some digital, who knows. Hope this is useful.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #5

In our neck of the woods Time Warner was taken over by Spectrum in the past few months. Recently there have been a number of articles in the paper about folks tuning into channels they normally watch only to see a blue screen. After the fact, Time Warner/Spectrum sent letters advising people they would no longer have access to those stations unless they paid for a higher cost subscription. I am so glad we canceled cable back in January.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #6

CATV tech came out today. Problem that I had when I made appt had fixed itself so it is difficult to know if anything is improved. He installed new coax
fitting at end of incoming cable.....said old one was not as good as new one.
Also installed newer cable box. Now things are the same as before he did
anything so only time will tell. He pointed out the the incoming cable line is
having some interference from a tree.

The thing that impressed me is that he cut off the coax fitting and sometime later while I was in the room, somehow managed to reinstall the fitting and connect the new box w/o my knowledge. Maybe that speaks more to my inattention than his skills but I was impressed.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote