CBS news says we are a "Secret FIRE Cult"

We should not be so harsh that the piece only scratched the surface. The reporter did not have a whole lot of time to tell what she might know. Was it a minute or two that she had?

At least, the piece raised the awareness that it is possible not having to work until your death, or relying solely on SS, even if you do not make a million buck a year.

Last edited:
I find that, as I get closer to FIRE, I'm better able to deal with the types of pressure you describe (bonuses, raises, layoffs). While I'm looking forward to the day I can walk away, in the meantime it's becoming easier and easier to say no to the extra hours - particularly when the cause of extra hour work is to meet an arbitrary deadline, or because the team works inefficiently.

I basically call their bluff. I might not get a raise? Fine, no problem, a 2-3% raise means little to my overall financial picture at this point. No bonus? No problem - I often make more in a given month from my investments than what the annual bonus amounts to.

I got that way too over the last decade or so at Mega. My time and my family was far more important than the relatively meaningless raises and bonuses we were getting. I got a bit aggressive when threatened with the withholding, and told them to do what they felt they had to but that I wasn't bowing and scraping. And oddly enough, when raise and bonus time came I still got pretty much the same as everyone else. It's all sound and fury, without the will to back it up.

Similarly, on the other topic here, I just want to say that I will continue to comment using my own words and feelings, and anyone who gets offended should be easily able to find the ignore button.

I have to log off now to prepare to go to my niece for Thanksgiving lunch. The stuffed pork tendeloins, my contribution, are done. If you are hanging around here, then you do not have to work today, and that's a good thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.

I'm really interested on how the Charlie Rose thing will play out. Putting what he is accused of doing, and the fact that he isn't a regular Joe but a legend in broadcasting.

The way I view it, if you don't like viewing Charlie Rose's junk as he walked around the apartment, one should not go to Charlie's joint in the first place. Just to be clear, I have never been invited to his place, or Gayle's, during w*rk hours.

I think the clip lacked substance. Other than defining FIRE, it did very little to promote the cause. Probably created more confusion than anything.

There are so many ways to FIRE, this one focused on the hardest way.

Who was happy with 25x at 40?

It seems like she just lifted the whole piece from blog posts on the MMM forum. He has a bit about once you save 25X expenses you can live forever on that no matter your age. It appears there is a lot of money in telling people what they want to hear.

It seems like she just lifted the whole piece from blog posts on the MMM forum. He has a bit about once you save 25X expenses you can live forever on that no matter your age. It appears there is a lot of money in telling people what they want to hear.

I agree - it was the MMM forum. 40 year olds looking to retire on $1M or buying larger properties to rent out.

I mentioned to a few younger folks on Mr MM that the lifestyle you think you want to live at 30 maybe very different from what you want at 60. I knew a couple that retired at 40 and at age 60 are sorry. While their friends are traveling, etc they stay home because inflation has eaten into their budget and they can only afford to exist.

Stephen Curry is a superstar basketball player.

And here I thought it was the guy who played Frank N. Furter on The Rocky Horror Picture Show. :facepalm:

I guess that was a jump to the left...or maybe a step to the right?

I mentioned to a few younger folks on Mr MM that the lifestyle you think you want to live at 30 maybe very different from what you want at 60. I knew a couple that retired at 40 and at age 60 are sorry. While their friends are traveling, etc they stay home because inflation has eaten into their budget and they can only afford to exist.
can I claim that's why I waited until 50? I mean I did retire the first time at 50, the second time when my boss started up with the BS this January. But in reality I know in my heart that I left my government job at 50 because that's when I got Lifetime Health Care. And I've always been a little bit concerned about what that's going to cost me later on in life. Maybe that will change for younger people, those in their 40s, with ACA

Most MMM followers do not get the secrete message from Mr. MM, which is to start a blog (travel, early retirement, or whatever) that can make you $400k a year. Then you can really retire at 40 ("retired" at 30).

Me, too. I was picturing some old guy walking out of the shower with no clothes on. Wait, that happens at home (but I like it). :cool::LOL:>:D

OK, thanks. Went over my head.

And here I thought it was the guy who played Frank N. Furter on The Rocky Horror Picture Show. :facepalm:

I guess that was a jump to the left...or maybe a step to the right?

Yes, I first thought of Tim Curry too!

I'm just appalled that someone in our group (or cult) gave our state secrets to a reporter such as this. I do understand a moment of weakness given her attractive appearance.

Nevertheless, I demand an accounting from an independent counsel. Isn't that what we do for EVERYTHING these days.

Happy T-Day to everyone :)

No worries, it was a carefully planned program of dezinformatsiya.* She didn't reveal anything important and may even have misled some people. 10X earnings is OK at 65? Really? And not one thing about tracking expenses!

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinformation

I'm just appalled that someone in our group (or cult) gave our state secrets to a reporter such as this. I do understand a moment of weakness given her attractive appearance.

Nevertheless, I demand an accounting from an independent counsel. Isn't that what we do for EVERYTHING these days.

Happy T-Day to everyone :)

... putting beauty ahead of competence is a problem, but it sure is no secret that for TV personalities in general, appearance is a factor. I think it was Garrison Keillor who said "I have a face made for radio!".

-ERD50

I had to look up Garrison Keillor. See his photo below. Now, commenting on someone being homely is a much worse offense than saying he/she is cute, I think.

I guess we should keep the opinion to ourselves. :)

20150522_130117-2.jpg

Last edited:
I found the “cute red head” comments offensive. And I don’t mean to derail the thread, but clearly some members don’t understand that those comments and the acceptance by the other members shows it is a problem in our society. Locker room talk is not ok.

It is alright to admire a thing of beauty, but do so in a respectful manner. Not sure what that means? Put yourself, your wife, your daughter on the receiving end of that comment; if you could say it to their face, then it’s probably ok. But if you were saying it to their face you would probably use their name, not refer to them as “hey red head, you sure are pretty”.

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.
Fully agree. I'm so tried of women taking about my red head after I've been out in the sun to long without my hat on. :mad: Really embarrassing.

Hum, I agree. Plus there truly is a cult vibe on the MMM forum.

I have been to the MMM site only once or twice. Much younger audience than here. As a pre-geezer I did not feel I belonged, although their preaching of frugality was not a bad thing. Cultish? Maybe.

I have been to the MMM site only once or twice. Much younger audience than here. As a pre-geezer I did not feel I belonged, although their preaching of frugality was not a bad thing. Cultish? Maybe.

I visited the site once or twice a couple of years ago, and I was struck by the level of hostility, personal attacks, and judgement that rained down on posters who apparently deviated from the "program" being pushed. Too hostile for me, and frankly some of the expectations of the members seemed extremely optimistic regarding the resources they would need to support very early retirements. To each their own - the site seems to provide what some folks are looking for.

........... I was struck by the level of hostility, personal attacks, and judgement that rained down on posters.......
Judgment only has one "e". :hide:

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.

I wonder how far this would go or if it would even get any air time on any major TV network. LOL
You do have to wonder how (poorly) harassment and violence are routinely portrayed on TV and movies translates to societal behavior at large.

Back
Top Bottom