CBS news says we are a "Secret FIRE Cult"

Wow, I guess I had better no longer comment out loud to anyone if I think someone is attractive!

I had to look up Garrison Keillor. See his photo below. Now, commenting on someone being homely is a much worse offense than saying he/she is cute, I think.

I guess we should keep the opinion to ourselves. :) ...
Yes, but in this case it is Keillor making the statement about himself, a bit of self-deprecating humor. His style includes a lot of dry humor (not exclusively though).

-ERD50

I found the “cute red head” comments offensive. And I don’t mean to derail the thread, but clearly some members don’t understand that those comments and the acceptance by the other members shows it is a problem in our society. Locker room talk is not ok.

It is alright to admire a thing of beauty, but do so in a respectful manner. Not sure what that means? Put yourself, your wife, your daughter on the receiving end of that comment; if you could say it to their face, then it’s probably ok. But if you were saying it to their face you would probably use their name, not refer to them as “hey red head, you sure are pretty”.

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.

The first amendment is a wonderful thing... but WADR, I think you are being ridiculous. :facepalm:

Wow, I guess I had better no longer comment out loud to anyone if I think someone is attractive!

IIRC, there is at least one female in this group who often comments about how good her man looks in 'tight jeans'. Lucky guy, IMHO.

The problem with good looking people in the media is that they are almost all VERY good looking, thus giving giving rise to the suspicion that good looks are the #1 quality needed to report and comment on the news, and that intelligence and thoughtfulness are not needed. Then they open their mouths and confirm the suspicion. ;)

Last edited:
"Old farts" is ageist.

All this talk about the cute redhead by old FIREd farts tells me you are not keeping up with current events.

Edit: written before I got far enough in the thread to see that Soupcxan got in a better one.

Moi? :angel: Then again, he is my husband, not someone I'm competing against in the workplace.

Workplace talk needs to be a lot more circumspect than social chatter does. And we all do need to think about what the person sitting next to us might be thinking or feeling. I'm not real good at that, but have improved with age and experiencce.

IIRC, there is at least one female in this group who often comments about how good her man looks in 'tight jeans'. Lucky guy, IMHO.

Last edited:
Bwah-hah!
Yeah, if someone just can't resist calling himself a fart, that's his privilege, but please, leave the rest of us nice-smelling, non-flatulent older people out of it.

And eat more fiber!

+1

Plus the alliteration in the sentence works much better when you omit the "old". :)

Bwah-hah!
Yeah, if someone just can't resist calling himself a fart, that's his privilege, but please, leave the rest of us nice-smelling, non-flatulent older people out of it.

And eat more fiber!
The fiber is probably what's causing all the flatulence. :) In addition, I think there's no such thing as "nice-smelling, non-flatulent older people".

Yes, but in this case it is Keillor making the statement about himself, a bit of self-deprecating humor. His style includes a lot of dry humor (not exclusively though).

-ERD50
Yes. But if someone else points out the obvious, it would be very rude. :LOL:

There are so many ways to FIRE, this one focused on the hardest way.

I had to listen to the clip a second time to realize that the young lady was using 40s as the retirement age for someone about her age (20?). Hence the need to save 50% to hit the goal.

I have a son in the 20's who is worried that he has been wasting his life the last five years amassing a large nest egg since college. He sees so many of his friends struggling with college debt and just treading water financially. He is excited though how many years he now could survive comfortably without working should he do world travel.

Like many millennials he likes mass transit, and spending for life experiences rather than things, and is ok with renting longer than I would have been.

The most interesting part of the interview to me was when the reporter sighed at the end of the presentation. As if the goal was impossible for her right now, a fairy tale dream. Should she be lurking still, just remember this is like an endurance race, it is ok to pause for water, and go slowly up some hills, and faster down some. Any progress forward counts.

Looks like another successful thread hijack form moneyed early retirement to expressions of (now forbidden) admiration for some physical apperances.

Ah, and my great looking niece, her husband an my late wife's cherming daughter just arrived, so I'll go off to join their company. BTW they are laughing at my post just now. Bye.

Last edited:
Looks like another successful thread hijack form moneyed early retirement to expressions of (now forbidden) admiration for some physical appearances.
I think that we've long ago agreed that original posts are merely a suggestion for the direction a thread should take.

That's really awful! What kind of older people do you hang around with? :facepalm:

In fact none of my older relatives ever smelled bad, and my husband and I don't smell bad, and I think if you are healthy and clean there is no reason to smell bad - ever. (Healthy perspiration after a workout doesn't count).

In addition, I think there's no such thing as "nice-smelling, non-flatulent older people".

Now that the secrets out the retirement crisis is solved.

The problem with good looking people in the media is that they are almost all VERY good looking, thus giving giving rise to the suspicion that good looks are the #1 quality needed to report and comment on the news, and that intelligence and thoughtfulness are not needed. Then they open their mouths and confirm the suspicion. ;)
And clearly they don't make much money either. Don't believe me? Just look at the women on FOX news. It would seem not many of them can even afford to buy a full length skirt.

It is a lot safer if you compliment the look of another female, not a male, particularly in front of your husband. And he would better keep his mouth shut, and not add further comments to enthusiastically agree with you.

... I think there's no such thing as "nice-smelling, non-flatulent older people".
Oh, lordy!

I don't understand how people here talk so much about moving into a CCRC. I would rather stay out with the general public as long as I can hold out.

Now that the secrets out the retirement crisis is solved.

Good point!

Still, it may simply mean they will not take my SS benefit and give it to some more needy retirees. It does not mean I will get the full 100% benefit instead of the projected 75% when the SS shortfall hits.

Oh well, 75% is better than 50% or 40%.

And clearly they don't make much money either. Don't believe me? Just look at the women on FOX news. It would seem not many of them can even afford to buy a full length skirt.

Do I hear calls for salary cutbacks?

Just a guess, but my interpretation of Michael's post was, present company excepted, there is no such thing as a 'non-flatulent' old person. :)

Once again, just a guess...
Mmmm. You guess well, Kemosabe. :)

Not just old folk. There's also no such thing as a "non-flatulent" young person, either. Even those beautiful defenseless babies produce some pretty powerful gaseous discharges. Most animals do as well (see WaPo story here). I would think the absence of these odoriferous emanations would be be the real definition of someone who is "full of it" and "bursting at the seams". :)

Learning to capture and re-use these digestive byproducts might lead to an entirely new meaning of "clean energy" and provide unlimited energy for planet earth and perhaps the entire universe.

Clearly they are paid far less than the men on either side of them, who are always wearing suits.

I see that even though all older people are not smelly, a few do seem rather obsessed with bodily functions and emanations. :LOL::facepalm:

Mmmm. You guess well, Kemosabe. :)

Not just old folk. There's also no such thing as a "non-flatulent" young person, either. Even those beautiful defenseless babies produce some pretty powerful gaseous discharges. Most animals do as well (see WaPo story here). I would think the absence of these odoriferous emanations would be be the real definition of someone who is "full of it" and "bursting at the seams". :)

Learning to capture and re-use these digestive byproducts might lead to an entirely new meaning of "clean energy" and provide unlimited energy for planet earth and perhaps the entire universe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom