CBS news says we are a "Secret FIRE Cult"

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Last edited:
Fortunately, they haven't figured out how to get access to the secret handshake or the decoder ring, so we're still safe for a while. :cool:

This is terrible! If masses of people figure this out then who will pay into SS?

I've always wanted to be a member of a secret cult. Now I feel fulfilled. :)

We are a "cult"? If so, I'd like to drink some kool-aid with that attractive young redhead. :D

REWahoo is right though... given the lingo and concepts that she is using I think she is lurking... time to come out of the shadows Jill!

Last edited:
Good video. Seems accurate for the most part.

I laughed a little at the question, asked so innocently, "Why do you think more and more people are thinking about early retirement?"

The reporter answered with something about economic uncertainty. No way. It's because the corporate experience has become so grueling, constipated, and anti-productive.

We're a cult? Who knew?

I'm surprised she (Harding) never mentioned spouse or children, or the lack thereof, as part of being FIREd.

Cool! Some people call trail running a cult too, so that's two cults I'm in!

Pretty good stuff for the most part, though she talks about how much you have to save relative to your pre-retirement income rather than future expenses.

I did not fully retire till 55, not in my 40s. But I did work part-time starting at the age of 47. Do I belong to the "cult" or not?

Heck, I am an accidental early retiree anyway. Never planned for this, and in fact was going to work part-time forever until they pissed me off.

PS. The red-haired reporter is kind of cute. Wonder what screenname she is using here. :)

Last edited:
There seems to be universal agreement that the redhead is easy on the eyes.

She will not go to any ER meet-up now, as her cover has been blown. :LOL:

Please, lets not go down that road again, let's debate FA or no FA, paying off the mortgage early, or when to take SS instead! :LOL:

I think even politics would be safer! :LOL:

I'll bet that reporter was the one who posed as an older DC area guy who got fired and was thinking about moving back to Minn or similar story in another thread!

Talking about 40, and renting out rooms in your house or owning a multi-family unit. Are you sure she didn't infiltrate Mister Money Mustache instead?

Please, lets not go down that road again, let's debate FA or no FA, paying off the mortgage early, or when to take SS instead! :LOL:

So long as we are in agreement on how to factor in the value of retirement healthcare or a pension (with or wothout COLA) when we are figuring how well off we are (for bragging purposes only, of course)!

And why it is OK to order live lobster and good steaks or first class plane tickets but never buy new vehicles!

And spend $50K on a wedding, but not buy jewelry or designer clothes!

So long as we are in agreement on how to factor in the value of retirement healthcare or a pension (with or wothout COLA) when we are figuring how well off we are (for bragging purposes only, of course)!

And why it is OK to order live lobster and good steaks or first class plane tickets but never buy new vehicles!

PS. The red-haired reporter is kind of cute. Wonder what screenname she is using here. :)
Yeah, she is kinda cute in the same sense that Stephen Curry is kinda good at hoops. :facepalm:

Just to be clear...Brighthouse Financial had nothing to do with the size of my hefty investment stash.
Had to laugh at the big old annuity ad to start it. Maybe they looked here for some information, but they didn't get the memo on annuities. :)

I must have been a gate crasher of this secret cult. Did not retire until 59.5.

She mentioned something that I don't think gets enough attention. Being FI is a great goal and a great feeling even if you continue to work. I know we discuss that, but it's not common. I knew when I paid off my house and had over $1M that no matter what happened at work, I'd be okay. Not that I could withstand anything, but in most scenarios, I'd be okay. That was a great feeling. Of course it grew into realizing that I don't have to continue to work and I will go a bit early (in my late 50's), and that's an even better feeling.

Also, the interviewer mentioned a couple times what a sacrifice all the savings and living frugal took. I can see that point of view, but it is soooo worth it. And frankly, I didn't see it as a sacrifice. Heck, if you're going to work toward a goal, it takes work and I guess that's sacrifice, but that's how you get there. It reminds me of something I used to think when I was going to school, working and raising/supporting a family and people would say how hard it was and congratulate me on how hard I worked. I thought to myself and sometimes commented - If you see a homeless person struggling to live on the streets, that's hard. What I'm doing doesn't even compare to that. I've always been thankful to be able to live well. So many do not.

I'm OK with the secret handshake, but please don't use this PR as an excuse to raise the dues.........

Back
Top Bottom