Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Is this just some kind of bizarre continual test of "company loyalty"?
Kind of, but more taking advantage of the situation. You are told that bonuses and raises only go to those who rise above. Layoffs lurk, etc.

It is strange, and in my case, a startling change of policy.

Back to the OP topic: this is why we sacrifice 50% way back in those early years. So you can walk when the BS bucket gets a boulder thrown in.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Kind of, but more taking advantage of the situation. You are told that bonuses and raises only go to those who rise above. Layoffs lurk, etc.

Back to the OP topic: this is why we sacrifice 50% way back in those early years. So you can walk when the BS bucket gets a boulder thrown in.
Wow - that's disturbing. Good thing you're close.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I find that, as I get closer to FIRE, I'm better able to deal with the types of pressure you describe (bonuses, raises, layoffs). While I'm looking forward to the day I can walk away, in the meantime it's becoming easier and easier to say no to the extra hours - particularly when the cause of extra hour work is to meet an arbitrary deadline, or because the team works inefficiently.

I basically call their bluff. I might not get a raise? Fine, no problem, a 2-3% raise means little to my overall financial picture at this point. No bonus? No problem - I often make more in a given month from my investments than what the annual bonus amounts to. Layoffs? If they come I'm prepared, though I'm not sure how laying people off is going to help get all of this work done. In fact, my guess is they'll be calling me to consult as a 1099.
intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I feel the pain, somewhat. For those asked or coerced to work holidays, particularly if doing it for the company flag. (No pay)

In my case for the 15 years in public transit, before escaping to ER, w*rked every holiday Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc.. Most included the graveyard night shift. Sometimes twice in a holiday span, if we were short on bodies. The routine was 12Hr. shifts for management types. Since the the system must run 24/7/365 it was a job requirement. Along with the mondatory random drug tests, for safety sensitive positions, which is everyone except secretaries.

The union crew only had to do their eight hours, worked it out via seniority, low man on the totem pole etc. The hard core types asked for overtime. Which was paid as double time.

Those of us in management did our 12Hr. shift pick in turns, until all slots were covered.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not know the Stephen Curry reference, but I knew about Charlie Rose and particularly what Weinstein did. They did a whole lot more than complimenting someone on her good look.

Soon, an older woman commenting on a younger guy looking handsome will also be accused of being a lecherous cougar.

I found the “cute red head” comments offensive. And I don’t mean to derail the thread, but clearly some members don’t understand that those comments and the acceptance by the other members shows it is a problem in our society. Locker room talk is not ok.

It is alright to admire a thing of beauty, but do so in a respectful manner. Not sure what that means? Put yourself, your wife, your daughter on the receiving end of that comment; if you could say it to their face, then it’s probably ok. But if you were saying it to their face you would probably use their name, not refer to them as “hey red head, you sure are pretty”.

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.

I wonder how far this would go or if it would even get any air time on any major TV network. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I'm really interested on how the Charlie Rose thing will play out. Putting what he is accused of doing, and the fact that he isn't a regular Joe but a legend in broadcasting.

From a legal perspective, I wonder after being fired (and if he did what they say, rightly so), can her counter with something like "CBS This Morning" had a environment that condoned bad behavior. Not to the point of grabbing but of blurring the boundaries. In otherwords, since he's going down, take others with him.

If you are a regular watcher of the program, I've always thought the sexual banter (must have brought in ratings, as CBS never said cut that stuff out) between him and the co-hosts often bordered on harassment if one of the complained. With Gayle King leading the way, then Norah, then Charlie.

Sad for me too as that was my go-to news program. Now, I'm in wait and see mode.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I feel the pain, somewhat. For those asked or coerced to work holidays, particularly if doing it for the company flag. (No pay)

In my case for the 15 years in public transit, before escaping to ER, w*rked every holiday Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc.. Most included the graveyard night shift. Sometimes twice in a holiday span, if we were short on bodies. The routine was 12Hr. shifts for management types. Since the the system must run 24/7/365 it was a job requirement. Along with the mondatory random drug tests, for safety sensitive positions, which is everyone except secretaries.

The union crew only had to do their eight hours, worked it out via seniority, low man on the totem pole etc. The hard core types asked for overtime. Which was paid as double time.

Those of us in management did our 12Hr. shift pick in turns, until all slots were covered.
I understand service jobs, and the crappy shifts they have to do. I feel for ya'll, especially our LEOs who will likely have to broker some stupid family fights tonight.

But I'm not in service of any type. This is just a date on a project chart.

BTW, my dad worked in the skilled trades. He had a few Thanksgivings to work in restaraunts because it was one of the few days they closed. (Not anymore?) They'd start at 5am and be out of there by 2pm, to join dinner. Double time pay. Thank you dad!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perhaps 30 years ago, my manager came to me and asked that I drive a rental truck full of heavy parts about 1200 miles to our test site. I was to leave the Thursday before Easter (Friday was a company holiday). The mechanic would fly down on Monday, and we would start rebuilding on Tuesday. I asked why I was asked to drive rather than the mechanic. "We would have to pay him overtime and double time." Would I get any overtime pay? "No."

It was not common, but their were folks in the bargaining unit that earned more than most of the engineers. We explained that to our boss's boss, who did not believe it. We showed him a copy of the Lead Utility Man's paystub. (He was quite proud of it!) The boss's boss took a moment to comprehend, then his face fell. Turns out the utility many made more than the boss's boss! The guy worked a ton of hours, lots of Saturdays and Sundays. He was very good at what he did, and he was worth it. He did more to keep our builds on schedule that management ever did.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
I found the “cute red head” comments offensive. And I don’t mean to derail the thread, but clearly some members don’t understand that those comments and the acceptance by the other members shows it is a problem in our society. Locker room talk is not ok.

It is alright to admire a thing of beauty, but do so in a respectful manner. Not sure what that means? Put yourself, your wife, your daughter on the receiving end of that comment; if you could say it to their face, then it’s probably ok. But if you were saying it to their face you would probably use their name, not refer to them as “hey red head, you sure are pretty”.

You are derailing the thread, and I'm following along for the ride.

You obviously have not been in too many locker rooms where people were talking as "cute red head" does not even exist in the same world as "locker room talk".

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, as Jill is no beauty (IMHO), so perhaps the comment was actually made to give Jill a boost of ego, since it was obvious she had not rehearsed her answers to the questions very well as they could have been much better.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

There aren't many people with $70K incomes who can afford to retire at 40, not even if they've been saving 50% of their take-home income. What they may be doing is trading wage slavery at Megacorp for self-employment, maintaining their rental properties and vegetable plots.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn3069 View Post
I think soupcxan is referring to "she is kinda cute" comment by haha..
I thought it was the "Lifestyle Creep" comment.

I have w@rked many, many, many Saturdays, Sundays, New Years, Good Fridays, Easters, Memorial Days, Independence Days, Labor Days, Veterans Days, Thanksgivings, Christmas Eves, and Christmas' in 35 years. I had to make sure your lights turned on when you "flicked" the switch.

Charlie Rose, w@rking at 75, is someone who thinks they're more important and influential in their own mind, than they really are. He and many others, should have retired many years ago.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post

IMO, you are being way too sensitive. And that actually can be a problem, as it waters down the more serous offenses. If everything is labelled "offensive", people become numb to it.

OK, my two daughters are "cute blondes". They are both attractive young women, what the heck is offensive about that?

Now, putting beauty ahead of competence is a problem, but it sure is no secret that for TV personalities in general, appearance is a factor. I think it was Garrison Keillor who said "I have a face made for radio!".

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think the clip lacked substance. Other than defining FIRE, it did very little to promote the cause. Probably created more confusion than anything.

There are so many ways to FIRE, this one focused on the hardest way.

Who was happy with 25x at 40?
Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
That's the worst I've heard. In all my years working in silicon valley I've never seen them ask someone to work Thanksgiving.
Years ago I worked for an idiot manager who scheduled an early morning meeting in a city half way across the country, on the Monday after Easter Sunday. That meant that we all had to fly out no later than early afternoon on Easter.

Thankfully, some of the participants who did not report to the manager just refused to travel on Easter and he was forced to reschedule the meeting.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

We should not be so harsh that the piece only scratched the surface. The reporter did not have a whole lot of time to tell what she might know. Was it a minute or two that she had?

At least, the piece raised the awareness that it is possible not having to work until your death, or relying solely on SS, even if you do not make a million buck a year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
I find that, as I get closer to FIRE, I'm better able to deal with the types of pressure you describe (bonuses, raises, layoffs). While I'm looking forward to the day I can walk away, in the meantime it's becoming easier and easier to say no to the extra hours - particularly when the cause of extra hour work is to meet an arbitrary deadline, or because the team works inefficiently.

I basically call their bluff. I might not get a raise? Fine, no problem, a 2-3% raise means little to my overall financial picture at this point. No bonus? No problem - I often make more in a given month from my investments than what the annual bonus amounts to.
I got that way too over the last decade or so at Mega. My time and my family was far more important than the relatively meaningless raises and bonuses we were getting. I got a bit aggressive when threatened with the withholding, and told them to do what they felt they had to but that I wasn't bowing and scraping. And oddly enough, when raise and bonus time came I still got pretty much the same as everyone else. It's all sound and fury, without the will to back it up.

Similarly, on the other topic here, I just want to say that I will continue to comment using my own words and feelings, and anyone who gets offended should be easily able to find the ignore button.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I have to log off now to prepare to go to my niece for Thanksgiving lunch. The stuffed pork tendeloins, my contribution, are done. If you are hanging around here, then you do not have to work today, and that's a good thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I'm OK with the secret handshake, but please don't use this PR as an excuse to raise the dues.........
I will bring this up at the next board meeting in Vegas.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
I'm really interested on how the Charlie Rose thing will play out. Putting what he is accused of doing, and the fact that he isn't a regular Joe but a legend in broadcasting.

The way I view it, if you don't like viewing Charlie Rose's junk as he walked around the apartment, one should not go to Charlie's joint in the first place. Just to be clear, I have never been invited to his place, or Gayle's, during w*rk hours.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote