Join Early Retirement Today

Ceiling Fans
Old 08-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ceiling Fans

Can anyone offer any help with choosing and installing ceiling fans. One will be installed outside, are there different types for this type of installation? The others will be in various parts of the house.

Any tips would be great.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ceiling Fans
Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Can anyone offer any help with choosing and installing ceiling fans. One will be installed outside, are there different types for this type of installation? The others will be in various parts of the house.

Any tips would be great.

Is there a box already for the installations?

you need that for the support of the fan , the motor has a bit of weight, if the support brackets are there no problems just wire the baby and install the fan to the box. pretty simple. I even did it with a bad support bracket had to go to the attic to make sure I put the anchor screws in correctly, almost stepping thru the sheetrocked ceiling!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #3

I haven't purchased a thing yet as I wanted to get some ideas here first.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
gone traveling

73ss454
Are you sure you want a ceiling fan or a whole house fan?* There is a discussion on WHF's on this board.* I've installed both.

The latest information I've seen was about how much energy and heat these things use.* I would check for Energy Star rated fans and compare.* There are fans that are made for outside but almost any fan can go outside if it's protected.* If you are in a marine area I suggest a coat of car polish to help stop corrosion.

I installed a sweet fan last April in a Condo that had joists in the ceiling.* I used a $20 joist bar that I placed in a hole in the drywall to support the fan.* It's like a car jack in that it extends out until it digs into each joist and you hang your box from that.* If you already have a ceiling lite you can use that electricity.* I just ran the cord in a "decorative' chain to a plug.* It's remote controlled and looks like a bidet upside down with the lite hidden.* I did the same on the lanai and think this shape will collect less dust and moisture.* This is a typical Hawaii installation (chain) since alot of condos have concrete ceilings and no ceiling lite but the new tenant didn't like the chain and said the new way was to just tape the white cord flat against the ceiling and wall.* I'll run the wiring thru the ceiling and wall when I have more time.

I did another one in a concrete ceiling using a hammer drill and had the toughest time getting two holes together.* I'd get one and on the matching hole I'd run into a rock in the concrete that I could not drill into.* Since the ceiling was low I used a shallow electrical box and the fan came with a plastic trim that covered the half inch gap between the ceiling and the fan.

I also installed in a high cathedral ceiling where I had to use a 3-4 ft. extension bar.* About 9 fans over 20 years and haven't lost one yet!* The first one in a while always takes 2 hours and the second 20 minutes.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #5

Honobob,

I've had whole house fans before. I remember the thread you mentioned.

The fans are for a house in Fla. which were moving to. Most of the rooms have plates in the ceilings which I believe are for either lights or fans.

I haven't thought about the heat they throw off or the energy use.

What about remote control fans, are they added after the purchase or have to be purchased that way?

Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
gone traveling

73ss454

If you're using them to move air conditioning around I'd for sure check with your utility company about heat and energy use.* They may even have a rebate program.* I would especially be concerned if you have low ceilings like most pre 80's houses.

If you're using existing ceiling boxes you should make sure they're engineered for fans cause a ceiling lite box won't hold much weight.

The fans come remote controlled altho I'm sure you could retrofit one but wouldn't be worth the expense unless it was a special fan.* *

The remotes are so cool.* Just like the TV, and controls the lite (on a dimmer) and several different fan speeds AND reverse!* I had two remotes in hand with a lite show going in connecting rooms to the "in a gadda of edda, baby" Iron Butterfly song, it wasn't playing but I was humming the drum solo and the 25 year old punk helper I had is looking at me cause he's NEVER heard of the song.* What do they learn them kids these days?* No respect for the past!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

The remote controls I have installed are separate assemblies that you purchase and install in the fan base.* They actually simplify the install, eliminiating the need to run a new wall switch.* Most of the fans turn too fast for my needs, so I have always looked for fans that turn slowly.* *Also, you may need to balance the fan after the install.* This is a trial and error process, but something I find necessary.* I've never installed one outdoors, but I've seen plenty - most of which were very rusty, non-functional, and some that channeled water through them when raining.* *I'd do some serious research before putting one outdoors.*
Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #8

There are different fans if being instlled outside. I have, in the past lived, in NE Florida. Had several fans in different homes. The main differences are in the blades be sure to get them for outside otherwise they will "droop" in about a year. Also the fan internal parts are mostly stainless steel where it is important. The outside ones do not cost much more and beat replacing them every few years if not "outside" type. Also BE SURE the box is BRACED for a fan. If you have access to the attic above the outlet just use a 2X6 between the rafters and use long screws (Drywall ones or deck screws work fine for this. Then just be sure to take the Plastic box out and replace it with a metal one and then just follow the fan installation instructions. (I assume you have the wiring already in the ceiling). If not just get a switch wiring book for the local libary and use it.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Any tips would be great.
Speaking of things that the younger generation is clueless about, I think that ceiling fans are a lot easier than adjusting carburetors.

Browse the fan/light departments at Home Depot/Lowes. (This is one time when you'll be happy that you're not being pestered by sales staff.) Either in the dept or near the store entrances you'll find pamphlets like "Choosing and installing a ceiling fan" with plenty of generic advice that's not brand-specific. Hunter-Douglas has a pretty good line with the basics but you can always go higher.

For advanced details you can browse the decorating books near the registers. This will give you a feel for the latest Energy Star options like remote-control timers and dimming fluorescents.

We get a ton of home improvement info in small doses from a subscription to the monthly"Family Handyman" magazine. Unfortunately they're overdue for a ceiling fan article (their latest is five years old).

You can also try the detailed directions at DIY Network. Absolutely spend money for a heavy-duty joist brace, especially if the ceiling fan will be running at the end of an extension bar. Without that brace you'll see every wobble and hear every motor whine until the fan tears loose from the ceiling. And if you don't buy a ceiling fan with a light, or at least the cover plate for an add-on light kit, a few months later you'll wish that you had.

Remote controls seem like a good idea at the time until your TV room ends up with an entire basket of the little $#%^ers. I greatly prefer the remotes that mount to a detachable wall plate next to the power switch... at least you'll know where you were supposed to have left it. Each remote comes with its own internal DIP switch to speak to one fan at a time, something that's endlessly entertaining when a kid messes with the DIP switch settings.

I can also affirm that ceiling fans in kid's bunk-bed bedrooms are not a good idea.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #10

my advice: Get a Hunter. last i heard they are a top n otch fan, quiet, well balanced, and priced right for what you get.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #11

Thanks to all of you guys for the great info.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
gone traveling

3 ceiling fans in the house we have kept the AC set at 79 upstairs and 78 downstairs since I moved in here june 28. Avg high temps have been over 90 everyday and high humidity, gotta love the american southeast anyway the electric bill showed up yesterday for july/august 180! That is it. The dryer is electric the ccoking is electric and the AC.

I guess that Nuke planet nearby and them fans help with keeping my cost down.

My bill in NJ last july/August was 325! same size house and the dryer and cooking WAS GAS!!

Crazy!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #13

NewGuy,

I know what you mean our last Elect bill in NY for 2 months was over $800, and we don't even use their gas we have oil.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
NewGuy,

I know what you mean our last Elect bill in NY for 2 months was over $800, and we don't even use their gas we have oil.
Hey where are you moving to again??
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #15

Fla.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Fla.
Good luck down there.

My father wants to go there again, from PA. crazy old coot never stays in one place too long. Ocala.

I am getting ready for my crazy evening. we did nort celebrate last night anbout my filing of my retirement papers with my school district.

I got that tequilla cabo wabo bottle all iced up plenty of limes and good italian sausage, yes my cholesterol numbers were fantastic with no medication. So its party time.

Now how many days until I retire? Aug 7 days Sept 30 Oct 31 Nov 30 Dec 31=129. Work days are a total of 71 days

Wow I have 203 sick days and only have 71 days of work. hummmmm

Lots of long weekends
Old 08-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
I had two remotes in hand with a lite show going in connecting rooms to the "in a gadda of edda, baby" Iron Butterfly song, it wasn't playing but I was humming the drum solo and the 25 year old punk helper I had is looking at me cause he's NEVER heard of the song. What do they learn them kids these days? No respect for the past!
Does anyone else remember the Simpson's episode where Bart substituted "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (I think that's the correct notation) for the hymn? The old-lady organist and the entire congregation struggled through the lyrics and break--too funny. IIRC the composer was shown as I. Ron Butterfly. :

(I love my ceiling fans, but not as much as The Simpsons!)
Old 08-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Does anyone else remember the Simpson's episode where Bart substituted "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (I think that's the correct notation) for the hymn?
I do. I have seen every Simpons episode except one which was pre-empted by a death in my family. I hadn't gotten a Tivo yet.

There's a Simpsons story line for every situation.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're going to sit near it, and you don't want noise get a high-quality unit.

If it would be easy to replace it if it broke (e.g. not high ceiling), I'd get a cheaper unit.

I'd also say you don't need a remote -- you're not going to change the speed that often (not like channel surfing).

Quote:
remotes...an entire basket of the little $#%^ers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RemoteControlHolder.jpg (47.6 KB, 112 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb RemoteControlHolder.jpg_thumb (40.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #20

Between our (3) houses we have 8 ceiling fans. Old Hunters have outlasted them all. Generally the heavier the motor the better. We are tall so we dont go for the light kits. They make overall clearance a problem, especially when standing on the bed