Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you leave your ceiling fans on?
Yes, always 24/7 in all/most of my rooms 11 16.67%
Yes, but only if I am at home & I turn them all/most on 5 7.58%
Yes, but only if I'm home and only in a specific room I'm using 42 63.64%
No, never 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Now on another side of the equation, a friend told me that his AC man said to leave the AC fan on 'On' rather than auto. That the circulation of air will actually lower you bill. Could be that circulating cool air through the system does not allow that burst of hot air coming through when the system has set idle for a while. Not sure at all on this one.
My understanding for leaving the fan on was to keep multiple floor temperatures in balance. When using the AC, if the air is 70 on the 1st floor, I'll notice a 2-5 degree increase on the 2nd floor (when fan is on Auto). Leaving the fan on while the AC cycles on/off will keep the 2nd floor temp more in line with the 1st floor. I would imagine the same is true for the heating season. I don't see how it'll cost less with the fan on all the time, it still costs money to leave it on 24/7.

Today, it's around 70, low/normal humidity, no need for heat or AC. If I ran the fan, I know my electric bill will go higher. I don't see any advantages to running it unless I had severe allergies and had to filter the air in the house.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have them in all the rooms except the dining room and kitchen....

I voted 'only when in the room', but that is a lie... we hardly ever run them... but we do at different times... so I can not say 'never'...

Old 10-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I voted, on only in the room I'm in. Also, only when I really need them on, not just because it's summer time. Sometimes when the a/c is on I also turn on the fan. For example, the air on 72 degrees with a fan on, I'd expect would feel pretty cool and be more energy efficient than just the air on 69 degrees.

As for the reverse circulation for the warm air during the winter...to me, with the fan on that still makes the room feel cooler so I don't use the reverse flow during the winter.

I got this ceiling fan that also works as a heater (this model: http://www.fanheatlight.com/Swiss-Go...onditioner.php)

However, I ususally don't use this much as the heater because the noise is pretty noticeable, but as a fan it works great.

p.s. A couple weeks ago, I also installed a digital theromostat so that should make the a/c, heater cycle on/off more accurately than the old manual thermostats.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As for the reverse circulation for the warm air during the winter...to me, with the fan on that still makes the room feel cooler so I don't use the reverse flow during the winter.
Yes, I've seen some study that showed that the cooling effect of moving air on the skin negated any effect of bringing the warmer air down.

We use our fan to release the hot air trapped in the cathedral ceiling so that it can be pumped up stairs by a wall fan that is (and has to be) lower down. This was our wood stove type fireplace can heat the whole house (to some extent).
Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #25

All our registers are in the ceiling. In the winter, if I don't run the reverse fans, the heater seems to run longer. Sometimes the fan seems to make things cooler, however, when the heater is running you can feel the warm air being drawn down. Now if you could hook all the fans to the heater thermostat, then they would all come on and go off when the heater cycles. For what it would cost for me to have that wired, I most likely can run the heater for a long time!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I have no choice to leave them on, especially the one in the Master Bedroom. DW leaves it on high all night because of the damn hot flashes and I feel like I'm sleeping under a Helicopter.
........ummmm, hmmmm......
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #27

Can't remember who told me this but the saying goes, "Fans cool people, not rooms." We only turn on fans in the rooms we are occupying although, I admit, we leave it on for the cat when we go out. She lays right underneath it and catches a breeze. I know she positioned herself there on purpose because she doesn't sit there anymore since the temperature has dropped about 10 degrees. I guess the saying we follow is, "Fans cool people and pets, not rooms."
Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #28

I leave them on only when we are home, and only in the room we are in (or the ones we are going in and out of as we do our chores. I just wish I could get DD to turn off her fan and lights when she leaves the house. She's away at university now, so I only have the problem during visits.

Our home is only 5 years old, and we put ceiling fans in all the rooms except the formal dining and living room. We do use them in the winter as well to keep the warm air circulating as we use a wood stove for as much of our heating as possible, and it really helps. I may try using the a/c fan this winter to see if that helps with the heat distribution.

R
Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Only when home, in a room we're in, and we feel it's necessary. So I couldn't vote as our answer was somewhere between the last two choices. We have setback thermostats set very low in winter and very high in summer so I can't imagine running fans or anything else unless needed.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #30

I use fans only in the room I'm in because my power company told me this is the econonical method. Air movement over the body is the cooling effect. The fan does nothing for the room if you're not in it. However, DW has a bad habit of leaving fans, TV's and lights on when she leaves the room. I'm thinking of installing timers.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have ceiling fans in every room and use them only when we are in the room, with one exception.

My DH and I share an office and both have fairly large computer systems, so that room becomes very warm easily. The ceiling fan in that room remains on always just to keep air circulating a bit.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #32

This has been a good post for me. I learned a thing or two for sure and am now leaving my a/c on all the time (but a notch higher in temps) and turning off all ceiling fans when I am not in the room. Thanks, guys, for the lessons...who knew?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #33

We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I use them in the warm weather only. I don't like to feel the down force so I keep them all reversed so the cool air from the floor is pulled over you rather than air pushed down from the ceiling.

I've always kept the fans on all the time during warmer temperatures. Now that you mention that they only cool people, not rooms, I'll have to consider this next year. But I've always felt that if you leave them running it helps circulate the cooled air throughout the room and evens out the temp in the hallways and stairs. I can see that in an empty closed bedroom it may be a waste of electricity but not if the door is open. If I have 2 bedrooms and a hallway wouldn't ceilings fans help circulate between the spaces?

I also leave the furnace fan running when the AC is on. If I turn it off then some rooms away from the thermostat have too big of a temp swing. Especially the kitchen. Leaving the fan running smooths out the temperature variation between rooms.

Our house is from 1955 and was not designed for AC, only heat. The registers are all at the floor level. We added the AC in 1993 and it took some trial and error to get it all balanced so that it's comfortable in all the rooms. We just had all the windows replaced from leaky aluminum framed single panes to double paned Low E vinyl windows so I'm sure it will all be much different now.

I could easily get used to turning the fan on and off only when I use the room. Getting others here to do that would be tough. They can't even turn lights off or close cupboard doors. It's maddening sometimes! If I'm out and come home I can walk from room to room just turning off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #34

Silver, I know what you mean about the office heating up. Whenever I go in our small office to work on the computer, at least 4 of the 5 dogs also want to lie around in there with me, heating the room even more. The ceiling fan and the one vent cannot compete with hot dog breath.

73 545--you have my sympathy. I would freeze to death if I had to have a top speed fan going all night.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I turn all of them on, when I am home, for better air or heat flow.

I do turn them off every 5-6 hours to allow the motor to cool down. All it takes is 15 minutes off to give it a break and hopefully extend the service life.

All of my fans are Hunters. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #36

Mine are all Hunters but two, which are Casablancas. They all came out of a salvage job on one of the resort islands nearby before we built our house. The house was a teardown and we took out everything that was still working. All were installed in the 1970s, I guess, and still ran like clocks.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

We turned ours on when we moved into the house 16 years ago. They're still on.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The ceiling fan and the one vent cannot compete with hot dog breath.

Somehow, Nords' description of the tradewinds effect was ... um ... more poetic I wonder if BTU calculators have a column for HDB ?

Ta,
mew
Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #39

Mews, LOL--I just realized that that was "hot dog breath" as in the smell from having eaten the grilled cousin of bacon.

I really meant to say the hot breath that emanates from the 5 dogs sleeping in our room. Not that it is any more poetic, though!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I turn the one on in the bedroom at night because I like the air movement, and the 'white noise' it creates. I just change the fan direction in the winter so that it's not blowing directly on us.